Professor Paddle: Kayaker dies on Upper Gauley vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Kayaker dies on Upper Gauley Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Kayaker dies on Upper Gauley
    Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 2:48pm

Kayaker dies on Upper Gauley

17-year-old from Montana was ‘experienced’

By Amelia A. Pridemore
Register-Herald Reporter
A 17-year-old student from a Montana kayaking prep school drowned Friday when his kayak got trapped under water on the Upper Gauley River, authorities said.

The body of the Missoula, Mont., teen was taken to the Fayette County coroner’s office, Chief Ranger Gary Hartley of the New River Gorge National River said. His name will not be released because of his age.

The incident was reported to the Fayette County Emergency Operations Center around 1:30 p.m. Friday. A group of about 10 students and an instructor from the Missoula-based World Class Kayak Academy were taking a trip on the Upper Gauley. The academy is a preparatory high school specializing in training competitive kayakers.

The group was in a rapid about a half-mile above the Class V Sweet’s Falls rapid and the victim was trying to navigate water between two rocks, called a “chute,” Hartley said. His kayak then became entrapped and submerged near a rock known as Thumbnail Rock.

Members of the group tried to rescue the boy, as did private boaters and commercial rafters, Hartley said. None was successful. Two of the boy’s classmates then traveled downstream to get help. They reached a commercial rafting group at Sweet’s Falls — where most kayaking and rafting trips on the Upper Gauley end — which summoned help with its radio-based communications system.

Once the call was made, professional rescuers from the Oak Hill Fire Department’s Swift Water Rescue Team, the Fayetteville Fire Department’s Vertical Rescue Team, Ansted Fire Department, Jan-Care Ambulance and National Park Service arrived on the scene and took over, Hartley said. After two hours, the boy’s body was recovered. The kayak was wedged and caught underneath a rock.

“It was upside-down with him in it,” Hartley said. “It was pinned with him in it, under water.”

Hartley said he understood all the students were “experienced” kayakers. They had been on a multi-state kayaking tour, and their instructor told authorities this was the school’s first fatality.

--------------- Copied from http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_278233034.html -------

I am not sure what this will do to the school, but my prayers and thoughts are with this family and the students involved. I don't know when the last fatality occurred but this is certainly an accident that will affect our community. If anyone has word on memorial funds or other charities relating to this event lets get them posted here so those that want to play a role in helping can.

James
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 3:19pm
Everytime i hear something like this it's hard. We don't always have to know the person involved to feel empathy with what they must have experienced that day. Most of us that have been paddling a while have had those near misses. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.  

Edited by Fish - 08 Oct 2007 at 3:25pm
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 3:45pm
I read this a few days ago and was extremely sad about the whole issue.  It is terrible to lose a kayaker period, but having that kayaker was only 17 years old, and a future leader of the sport.  Hopefully WCK and HUGE don't close up shop because of this incident, although it will surely take a long time to recover from such a large loss.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 5:25pm
I knew the boy. He was a great kayaker and a great kid, he will be sorely missed among all who knew him, especially those of us with the schools. I saw him last weekend where he got 4th in junior nats so I celebrate his success as a paddler and a person.

Next time you are on the river, just throw a good thought his way, he truly was an example of the quality of person that the sport can produce. rip.

To those of you wondering about the schools: So far it sounds like HUGE is doing ok although they are all shaken up by the inceident, most of the students knew him and HUGE passed by the scene while the rescue was in progress so it hit them pretty hard. I don't think World Class has even thought about that kind of thing yet.

Edited by kayaktheworld - 08 Oct 2007 at 5:27pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
cloudpeak
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cloudpeak Replybullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 9:34am
It's heartbreaking. He was so young. Condolences to his friends and family.
cloudpeak
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cloudpeak Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 8:48am
Originally posted by James

If anyone has word on memorial funds or other charities relating to this event lets get them posted here so those that want to play a role in helping can.James</span>

The memorial is today in Missoula at 3:30pm at the University Congregational Church.

To send flowers, contact Bitterroot Flower Shop at 406-542-0309. Also, a memorial fund has been created at Community Bank Missoula, 218 E. Main, Missoula, MT 59802, 406-542-7007.

Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 10:13am
That's sad, so young. R.I.P young paddler, you will alway's be on the river and in many memories!
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
lazaruslong1108
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote lazaruslong1108 Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 12:42pm
He was a good guy and a good paddler. I just hope that people can learn from the accident that everyone should have rescue training, and that sometimes even that is not enough so you always have to be careful out on the river. Going past the accident was when I first truly realized how serious our sport is. I hope that our comunity never has to go thourgh this because it is hard for everyone involved. I also hope that world class come back from it and that everyone understands that they didnt take any risks that they shouldnt have in the case. And that people understand that they had the best people you could have on the rescue.

eli
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 1:03pm
Wow. Tragedy indeed. My heart goes out to his family first and foremost. Any family who's ever had a young paddler who is that experienced has had its share of worries and concerns. After all, even with such cultivated skills and in the hands of such good teachers, Whitewater still flows over tumbling dice. Words just can't contain or soothe such a loss.

I hope eveyone close to him can bounce back over time.

Edited by wetmouse - 10 Oct 2007 at 1:21pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 1:40pm
I also hope WCK can bounce back quickly. Especially those on the river that day with him. I think WCK and Huge are great alternatives. I wish my brother and I had access to such schooling when we were growing up (well, my brother and his team mates kind of did-- as he was racing slalom at the time.)--Public school sucks. Most of its products live end up living their whole lives without truly living, the way this young man did. Hopefully that can count for something.

An organization such as Huge gets the benefit of the sobering lesson illustrated here (what that lesson is exactly is not for me to say) without having to swallow the extremely bitter pill that WCK and the families and paddlers have to endure. Various raft companies have had to face these outcomes from time to time for decades. Many of these companies have managed to learn from mistakes made or outcomes not forseen to continue providing enjoyable experiences for thousands of people. I think that WCK and Huge provide incredible opportunites for young people, and their work needs to continue.

Adventure can be an integral part of developing one's character, and sadly it is lacking too much in society as a whole, with obvious negetive side affects. Most kids are raised to be afraid to even go out into the outdoors, and consequently, look at our relationship to our environment as a whole. Out of sight, out of mind.

I hope the people and families close to this inividual can mourn and grieve and not lose sight of the inherent values the sport provides thousands of people as a whole.

Being on the river is such a powerfully fun and life affirming act. And at the same time,  It's understandable how at odds it seems to be suddenly when Death shows up on the river to claim someone you love.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version