Professor Paddle: Planning the 2008 PP Party vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Topic: Planning the 2008 PP Party Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Planning the 2008 PP Party
    Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 12:04pm
Well it is coming round to the fall and every fall I like to start thinking about the upcoming years PP Party.

Da Ball of 2007

In fact this last year I barely made the cut off for reserving the site & ordering facilities! So this year were going to start a month earlier and I am hoping to get some folks that are interested in helping me plan for the event.

Here's the areas that I am looking for help on:

Event Planning - We need to make some real events for 2008- This year we must have a launch ramp at the group site which means we need a river or lake that will work at the site. There are also plenty of other events that need to be planned out and scheduled.

Facility Coordination
- Last year we produced a good amount of Poo and Trash. Luckily we planned around it and just barely had those dirty little ends covered.

Beverage & Food -
Nothing beats a cold keg at Camp, and this year we need to plan the ice and cooling a bit better. No one likes Sphincter Disorder Porter

Sponsor's & Prizes - Last year we had a few prizes that were given out and there are still a few that need to be delivered. The bummer was that way more effort was put in by the competitors than the prizes stacked up to deliver. So instead of Me buying prizes in 2008, we need to find some sponsor's that want to gift some swag for exposure. We had a few offers last year just before the event but with only a few days remaining nothing was ever put together. Lets get this covered?

So who's in for the helpin?

If there is enough response we could always meet at a local pub for a quick strategy session.

Bavarian Boater Bash - Hanging with the Horde in 07

James

Edited by James - 18 Sep 2007 at 1:31pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 12:12pm
I'm willing to help, as much as I can. Not sure what with, but there are always little things that come up. Let me know....
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 12:44pm
I'll take responsibility for the sponsorship and prizes. I have tons of industry connections that would be willing to donate some schwag, including canoe and kayak Magazine. I think it would be a great idea however to put a steering committee together, meet at a PUB and iron out the details.

Scott
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 1:05pm
Steering committee?  Wow that sounds too much like coporate talk for you FIsh.  I think you are just looking for an excuse to drink some beer!

You know I'm in James. 

Edited by tradguy2 - 18 Sep 2007 at 1:06pm
... preparing for a river beating!     
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 1:34pm
There is a group site at Tumwater CG.  It is basically the put in for the Upper Tumwater Run and is the same distance from town as the Bridge Creek Site.  It has more ammenities too.  We should check it out sometime and see what the capacity is. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 1:40pm
Just my personal 2 cents, you should incorporate some kind of AW membership drive/fund raiser with the event. Conservation is key!!!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 2:00pm
 James,
  I will draw up a design for the ramp, and figure out materials. I have allot of connections at lumberyards so I can probably swing something. If someone knows what to put on it to slide better, drop me a line.
  Ambre will get the kegs again (remember the Colon Destructive Porter was your idea ) It was good but we need more porta potties if we get it again.
  We will figure out the types later. 

Sure?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 2:04pm
Tom,

I would like to check that out, along with any other site in that general area that is close to the runs and offers the ability to build a kayak ramp on the water. That is really going to be the primary mission for this years festival. I want to find the location and then procure the materials and have Brad do the Engineering while Brett does the Contracting. We could have a sweet setup.

James
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 2:34pm
OK,  ramp covered,  focus on the beer!!  What i am best at!
Sure?
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 5:04pm
Biiiiig Air Comp??!??! YES!
Ashley Duffus
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by tradguy2

There is a group site at Tumwater CG.  It is basically the put in for the Upper Tumwater Run and is the same distance from town as the Bridge Creek Site.  It has more ammenities too.  We should check it out sometime and see what the capacity is. 

WRRR does an event the weekend before the AW festival at this group site.  We have had problems accomodating the noise and late night revelry in such close proximity to normal families ... not sure it would be a good venue for qp

Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 5:14pm
James-

If you want a good kayak ramp, send an email to Colin Kemp with Jackson Kayak. His ramp at Valley Mill in DC is one of the best around and I'm sure he would be willing to give you the measurements for it.
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2007 at 5:20pm
For Ramp materials, the best sliding surface I've seen is that plastic trellis stuff people use in their gardens for climbing plants.  It's flexible, slick, about the right width, and relatively cheap.  I have a friend down in Arkansas that built this one on a trailer so it can just be backed up to the water and unfolded.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a view of more of the ramp.

Dave
jojo
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jojo Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 4:53pm
I would love to help out but I just moved here and have not met any paddlers in the area or paddled here so I know no one.  I probably could get a keg through work.  I would love to contribute somehow.
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 8:27pm
Where do you work??
Ashley Duffus
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2007 at 11:42am
Yea Jojo, spill the beans anyone with work connections to a keg can't just leave it unnamed... We must know the brew!

I am thinking we should set a date this next week that folks who are interested in planning can get together in a central spot to collaborate.

So who wants to help and what day is best for those that are interested?

I am thinking on Thursday the 27th or Friday the 28th sometime, could be the weekend but rather hit it on a weeknight.

J
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2007 at 2:00pm

I can cover the kegs again,  2? Type can be determined by the masses.

Ambre works for the Ram and Big Horn brewery.  Its an easy deal, if I can get help with the haul.
  Thursaday would work for me James,  What time, where?

Sure?
jojo
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jojo Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 10:10am
I am a sales rep for Big Sky Brewery in Missoula, Montana.  I just moved to seattle about a week ago.  It looks like you already got the beer covered.  If something changes let me know.  I won't be around the 27th and 28th but will pitch in anyway I can later.  Sounds like a great party and nobody is better to party with than boaters
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 10:45am
Jojo.

The dates are not established yet. Every year we have a vote on the date and different stuff we should do. I am going to post up the Poll on the dates for this years ball in about 2 weeks after a few of us have had a chance to get together to do a little pre-planning. We have 4 weekends to pick from based on that average meltoff timing. What ever weekend gets the most votes is the weekend we set it on.

If your interested in coming to help plan for this event please discuss or find more details here.

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version