Professor Paddle: Molybdenum vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Molybdenum Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Molybdenum
    Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:31am
Good News for all you investors out there.

Although Ledcor is not publicly traded you can not own a piece of their plundering.

Adanac's Ruby Creek Property
- 220 Million Pounds of Molybdenum

The pre-construction of this project has been awarded to Ledcor.

So watch your Molybdenum quotes, Adanac could do well....

Of course with minimal impact to the surrounding long term enviornment

Edited by James - 06 Sep 2007 at 9:53pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:35am
This project is going into a remote region of northern BC. Did anyone know that Ledcor is really all over the US doing projects everywhere from CA to WA to CO and they are all pretty invasive and there is a lot of destruction going on for ore and other materials.

J
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:42am
shame, shame, shame

MORE RAIN PLEASE
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 2:08pm
i'd like to use that giant drill on the ceo of ledcor
GabeI
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote GabeI Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 4:13pm
Well that sounds wonderful, just look at how it enhances the natural beauty of the land.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 5:03pm
hippies
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 6:17pm
Do you all realize how much rare-earth metals (not Molybdenum, though) are required to build the computers you typed this on?  Many strip mines you speak about, and you can hardly single out Ledcor, as they are a fairly small player, go after rare metals to fuel the curent building boom and the semiconductor industry.

Do you know how much power computers draw?  Each PC left on all the time draws more than 1000kwh per year.  An estimate from BC Hydro shows that 170 GWh of power are wasted by computers in BC alone that are not truned off at night.  This is roughly the output of a 20Mw firm generation plant (e.g. coal or high dam), or a 50-60Mw hydro run of river plant.  Did you know the servers employed by the eco-green poster child Google draw 1/2 the output of the Ashlu project?  Did you know the average gamer's computer (including the Xbox) draws 4-5 times more power than a typical laptop?

Oh, and speaking of giant drills, is it ok when it drills a hole between the United Kingdom and France?  Why not use that drill (the largest TBM ever constructed) on Guillaume Pepy, chairman of Eurostar (opperators of the chunnel)?  What makes him better than Ledcor's CEO, David Lede?

Lots of hypocrisy out there...
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 6:31pm
What is your point, Leaf?
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 7:19pm
Well, I'd totally give up my computer, and my electricity.  That way I could quit my job and just kayak all the time.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 7:34pm
I think what leif is trying to say is that this is a futile arguement. I just figured it was a good investment opportunity to pass along. The price will keep dropping for another few weeks before it turns and goes wild again. One the pipelines have made their official orders and the raw ore is in demand it will be $$$ again. Well several of the largest oil pipelines in the world are being repaired and guess what the announcement was earlier this month. The pipelines are corroding because the alloy's are too soft that make up the pipe. So what do they use... Well Tungsten is nice and strong but really spendy... Ah Molybdenum... Great substitute with almost the same weight and melting point...

So my question is this.... Is it wrong to invest in Molybdenum?

It is going to help make our oil pipelines stronger and leakless which is good, but it is also the cause of some pretty serious devastation to the enviornment...

J
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 8:33pm
I was making no reference to your first comment, James; just the follow up comments.  Investing in metals other than Gold is difficult, as it involves either the futures market (risky) or physical storage (expensive).

To answer the question of "what's my point" - many actually, but let me call out the most important point.  It does not advance a point of view, or succeed in defeating another point of view to make statements suggestiong that the CEO of a firm that employs 4500 people with good jobs should have a drill through his skull. 

Let's remember that the strong pipes are critical, because without oil, we wouldn't have any kayaks with which to boat.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 8:48pm
thanks for reminding us...
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 8:51pm
I feel so dirty... 
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 8:53pm

I am just waiting for the post "what does oil have to do with kayaks"...

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 9:48pm
I don't think my PPC draws that much power Leif, and btw James, I need to get rich quick with little risk, so Multibrandyless here I come!
Nomad
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:03pm
Ah, this conversation and others recently on PP reminds me of an old joke....

Q: What is the difference between a real estate developer and an environmentalist??
A: A real estate developer wants to build a house in the woods whereas an environmentalist has a house in the woods.

Unfortunately, everyone is a hypocrite (except me ).  They want to complain about some type of development or other but they somehow justify in their own minds their own decisions (i.e. driving that 4WD to the put-in 4 hours away; living in a suburban house and commuting to work; buying clothing made by 3rd world laborers; cooling your 15000 sq ft mansion in Tennessee but buying carbon offsets; using google as your search engine; whatever). 

Now then, if you really want to get back to nature, fight against "the man" and the entire capitalist infrastructure, I have just the solution for you - see http://www.freegan.info  Of course, if you do this, you might end up in the hospital with god only knows what type of virus or bacteria - and even "the man" might not be able to save you.  But you'll go to heaven (a bit prematurely) knowing that you were a good person.

Oh yeah, and what does oil have to do with kayaks?

Edited by arnobarno - 05 Sep 2007 at 10:07pm
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:11pm
Or, you can just support sustainable, sensible policies which ballance the needs of society with the desire to protect nature.

By the way, did a bit of research.  No futures market for Molybdenum.  Good luck investing in it...  Your only option is to invest in Copper mines, according to my research.

Arno: I am assuming from the smiley face and the fact that you are obviously a smart guy that you don't require an explination of the relationship of kayaks and oil.
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:56pm
At my work we use molybdenum (molly) to make navigational sensors that go into everything from airplanes and missles, to oil and mining drills, to those smart chips in your car, or Cadillac if you have the means

LIke Arno said, we're all adding to the problem and we don't even know it. 

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 11:24pm
No Dan there is no future market for Molly. Its only the cheapest easiest hardening metal to add into alloy mixes for strength. Airplanes to Submarines as I understand it.

Copper is where you should invest! In an age where Fiber Optics are becoming the mainstay for telecommunications lines and the day of the coax is coming to an end!

James
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 7:29am
Maybe one day Leaf will realize he's no smarter than the rest of us and a conservative republican affiliation will not always save his ass.    ...okay I'm done
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 7:54am
I bet we could use less oil producing kayaks if we all recycled our boats.
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 9:39am
Well, as many of you know from previous posts, I'm a libertarian and have a pretty free-markets, small government, and individual liberty bias.  So I'm not against development, per se, or oil, or even tweekers (until they tweek someone other than themselves).  With that intro...

The amount of oil we'd save if we recycled our boats is de minimis.  Not saying it is a bad thing to do but let's face it, you are burning magnitudes more oil driving to/from the put-ins than you'll recover from that recycled boat.  It might make you feel good about yourself but in the grand scheme of things, it is mouse nuts.

Everything has trade-offs that are not easily analyzed in context a priori. 

Just a couple of examples...

In the 60s, DDT ended up being banned practically worldwide because of the believed effects on the environment.  And, there is no doubt it was overused in applications in which there are alternatives products that produce similar results without the harmful environmental impacts.  But, it was (and is still) the most effective means of killing mosquitos and 10s of millions of people have - and continue to - needlessly die of malaria because of overly strict regulations.

In the 70s and 80s, the environmental movement fought hard against nuclear energy for a variety of reasons.  But, people's desire for energy is virtually insatiable so w/o nuclear, other forms will be used - fossil fuels, alternative, etc.  Remember, many people (not kayakers, of course) consider hydro "alternative" and a much better alternative than fossil.  Well, now that same environmental movement is starting to come back around to nuclear because the alternatives (in their opinion today) are worse.

My point here is that the issues are complex and that it is easy to assume evil intentions on the part of the business owner, politician, environmentalist, Leif, whoever, etc. when the reality on the ground is often much more complex.  My cynical (libertarian) view is that the more government involvement, the more screwed up it will get.

So, if you really support the environment, and want to preserve it, IMHO, support organizations like The Nature Conservancy, The Trust for Public Land, etc.  These guys buy up the land and preserve it forever.  Once you own it, you can stop development, dams, or anything else you don't like (even perhaps stop Leif from putting-in if you so desire).

Edited by arnobarno - 06 Sep 2007 at 9:41am
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 9:51am
what is with everyone jumping all over Leif?  I will grant he was a little tactless in the way he articulated his points about the ashlu, but the man has a right to his opinions. He hardly seems like an ultra conservative to me, what am I missing?

If you can't recognize that there is a fundamental conflict between environmental sentiments and the consipcuous consumption required for a paddling lifestyle, you're simply not paying attention. 

Leif seems to be saying, in all the posts I've seen some basic and sensible things:

- You can't just oppose all development all the time

- You have to recognize that the products we use to boat and the distances we travel are inherently not low-impact or sustainable

- If you can't formulate a political environmental agenda that can be supported by a consituency larger than whitewater paddlers, you're not going to get anywhere. 

He is correct. 

While the Ashlu is a travesty, it's a travesty more of the process by which hydro is developed, rather than an indictment of all hydro development.  I believe hydro power is the cleanest, most sustainable, renewable, low impact reliable source of power we have.   As ap addler I HATE IT.  But I would rather have well-planned hydro than unregulated coal burning, wouldn't you?  Does that make me an ultraconservative too?
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 9:58am

I certainly agree with you.  I only wanted to point out some of the hypocrisy of the statements.  The oil used in the kayak industry is minimal compared to other industries.  Ultimately, we need to be wise in balancing conservation with the needs of our society; balancing impact with growth.

The comments I made about computers and electronics in general are relevant, though.  Between non-recycled waste disposable electronics (i.e. all electronics these days) and power draw from computers, video game consoles, etc. needlessly left on, and power draw from under-utilized over-powered datacenters, there is a serious problem.  Green companies are a major source of venture capital in the Northwest these days - I see 2-4 deals a month go through in this area.  Look for server virtualization firms (such as VMWare and the new seattle startup Illumita) to do well, given that they help consolidate servers and better manage data center power utilization by allowing firms to use fewer servers.

I am, at heart, a libertarian, as well.  While I am a member of the Republican party, I believe in smaller government, fewer regulations, etc.  At one time, I considered joining the libertarian party, but realized more can be done influencing the Republican party in my small way towards the libertarian ideal, though I certainly don't support the zero-government anarchist free-for-all that some loosertarians (credit to Michael Medved for that one) support.

As for Brett's comments, I am not sure how being a Republican changes the status as to whether my ass is or is not saved.   I defend my own ass, proudly, and do not look to party affiliation to save my ass for me.  I take the defense of my ass very seriously, and as Thomas Jefferson said, "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty", or evidently in my case, my ass...
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 10:03am
Well, I for one, am not jumping all over Leif, as I actually mostly agree with him and with your well summarized points.  I'm only using him as a minor foil for comic purposes (perhaps not effectively)  to try to hopefully lighten things up here.
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version