Professor Paddle: Ashlu Update vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Ashlu Update Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 4:17pm
That's too funy Erik...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 4:21pm
I think we should start hunting whales again and using their oil for fuel and their skin for paper.  That would alleviate some of the pressure on the rivers in the northwest for hydropower and the forests for wood products.  And, whale farting contributes 4.235% to the overall carbon footprint on the planet, so we'd be cutting back on global warming as well.

Edited by arnobarno - 28 Aug 2007 at 4:25pm
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
bryansmith
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote bryansmith Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 5:32pm
Nice to see so many people up the Ashlu this weekend! Thanks to Ashlu Festival, TRL, 49 Megawatts, ect... more people than ever are visiting the Ashlu.

I got news for you Leif...the whole reason you were paddling the Ashlu was because of work the Squmaish locals have done. Not Ledcor. I helped cut every trail into that river over the past three years. Access is more than just a road up the river valley and you would have no idea that the Ashlu was a good paddling destination without the work of paddlers putting this river on the map.   

I'm not the kinda person to come out and bash opions, but Leif is way of course here and speaking on such a limited knowledge base I can't help but chime in. And I can certaily guarantee he his making no friends with the locals up here with this post. I have a few points I would like to make.

1. Access has been an issue up the Ashlu. You can't go claiming these sorta things based on one trip to the Ashlu. Pure ignorance. Talk to others before you claim this stuff and post it publicly. Living up here and trying to access that river on a regular basis has been a different story. You just happened to hit a period when access has been pretty good. Many of us have worked hard at pushing the access issue this summer so it would improve in late August and September. Again something boaters have accomplished not Ledcor.

2. To think that the kayaking will be improved is a huge oversight on your part. The mine run is virtually being destroyed because a dam will now sit in the middle of the run and back up almost 2km, the mini-mine will no longer run after this season, and you obviously know nothing about the Box to post such poor comments. It takes lots of time paddling the Ashlu to understand all the runs, flows, and season.   

3. The issue is way bigger than the Ashlu and kayaking, so before promoting Ledcor's project to support what you like about kayaking on the Ashlu do your homework please. This project has huge impacts on grizzly bears, fish, and the greater recreation community. There are also concerns that have to do with who owns these water liscences long term and the revnue being created.

4. While you were busy posting ridicoulous comments about the Ashlu, a group of comitted boaters and community members were talking with Regional Power about the 125 megawatt project on the Ryan River today. Please withhold comments about how the boating community in BC is handling these issues until you have been involved with the process. Many people are working hard and professionaly on the issue. Your comments on how the Ashlu was handled are completely misguided.

5. While it may be hard for you to lobby from the states, your voice is being heard by AW on BC issues. Voice your concerns through AW...they are working on this issue as well. Again Leif...do your homework. AW is involved right now with education and consultation here in BC.

Please come paddle the Ashlu lots it is a great river. And if you want to piss off the locals up here who are working hard, post more comments on why Ledcor has made the Ashlu better.

Bryan
bryansmith
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote bryansmith Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 5:45pm
And by the way when it comes to fish. Many people are very concerned about the impacts with Ashlu. Try talking with Craig Orr at the Watershed Watch or maybe read their 50 page report on cummulative impacts of IPP's on salmon before you say that these comments were false. http://www.watershed-watch.org/ The Ashlu is very productive salmon and trout habitat. Just downstream of the project. As the Watershed Watch's report revelas there are major issues with drilling a 7km tunnel about some of the best fish habitat in Sea to Sky.    
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 6:22pm
Dam!  Lighten up guys!  Like Tom said, we're all on the same side here.  The tone's pretty ugly in here......
Life is short, paddle hard!
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 6:25pm

I'd like to make sure you understand how much I and many other boaters appreciate the work that has been done for access, such as cutting trails and clearing slides from the road. 

It is nice to know, however, that I am not making friends by criticizing the failed effort to stop the Ledcor project.  Next time, I'll try to be a bit more congratulatory, even though the efforts to stop the project failed, and the lack of concessions cannot be viewed as a positive outcome.

Next time there is a project that comes up, I am happy to provide insight on political strategy, like the fact that art films don't typically sway public opinion.  As far as AW goes, perhaps Canada should form its own river sports advocacy group.  A political action group is necessary to pay for lawyers, and it simply doesn't look good for money to flow from the US to Canada, as it turns off the rank and file voters in Canada to the cause.

SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 6:38pm
Leif!!  Pipe down, dammit! 
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 7:11pm
Leif
are u an idiot?!
wtf
so help me...
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by bryansmith

The mine run is virtually being destroyed because a dam will now sit in the middle of the run and back up almost 2km, the mini-mine will no longer run after this season, and you obviously know nothing about the Box to post such poor comments.
Bryan

Bryan, first of all, thanks for all of your efforts.  We all appreciate your hard work (even Leif).  I was hoping you could expand on how the power plant will work.  I know it diverts water from the river, uses that water to drive turbines which generate electricity, and then returns the water to the river.   LEDCOR has given people (myself included) the impression that there is not a dam, at least not in the classic sense.  If 2km of the river is backed up that does not seem like it could be true. 

Keep up the good work!
... preparing for a river beating!     
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 9:17pm
  wow!   Talk about slammin your wee wee in the door!

Good job to everyone that put forth an effort,  Thank you, I haven't boated the river, and I hope i can someday.
Sure?
toddg
Paddler
Paddler

Quote toddg Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by leifkirchoff

I'd like to make sure you understand how much I and many other boaters appreciate the work that has been done for access, such as cutting trails and clearing slides from the road. 

It is nice to know, however, that I am not making friends by criticizing the failed effort to stop the Ledcor project.  Next time, I'll try to be a bit more congratulatory, even though the efforts to stop the project failed, and the lack of concessions cannot be viewed as a positive outcome.

Next time there is a project that comes up, I am happy to provide insight on political strategy, like the fact that art films don't typically sway public opinion.  As far as AW goes, perhaps Canada should form its own river sports advocacy group.  A political action group is necessary to pay for lawyers, and it simply doesn't look good for money to flow from the US to Canada, as it turns off the rank and file voters in Canada to the cause.

wow ...
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 9:50pm
Yep. Let's keep ourselves completely out of other countries' business. That would be great.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Hydro
Super Looper
Super Looper
-logy 101

Quote Hydro Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:05pm
Keeping a lighter attitude would be great - but after the insults are slung the floodgates are open.  Amazing what one voice can achieve.

BC crew - I always want to be as welcome in your backyard as you are in mine.  
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Hydro

BC crew - I always want to be as welcome in your backyard as you are in mine.  
 I could not agree more. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:23pm
Me too.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:31pm
Leif, holy shit. Are you for real? I am truly at a loss. What is your problem? Learn from the words and humble yourself for a moment. Concede you've spoken without all the facts, at least to yourself, and shut up already.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:50pm
I've always know this about Leif, one of the many reasons I try hard not to end up boating with him.  Sorry for the negative vibes.
sworcester
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote sworcester Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:52pm
There are nice paved roads to drive your Lexus on down here, not to mention calm reservoirs to boat upon.

Quit pissing off our Canadian friends. Steve

Edited by sworcester - 28 Aug 2007 at 11:42pm
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 11:09pm
I don't know anything about the politics around the Ashlu development or the run itself - except from what I've read in this thread.

And, I won't defend Leif's style of posting - he clearly isn't winning any friends.

But, I think that Leif and others are talking past each other a bit on this thread.  To me, it seems like Leif is talking about outcomes.  And, Bryan is talking about effort and impacts. 

And, it seems like all the effort that the folks up in BC put into fighting this project and all of the impact that this project is having on the river and on the environment, have still led to an outcome that nobody is happy about.  Clearly, whatever tactics were used to fight this development - for whatever reason - didn't lead to the outcome that the local boating community wanted.  It doesn't sound like this was for a lack of effort but the end result still needs to be faced and I don't think it is defeatist to try to learn from what worked or didn't work in this case and figure out how to fight the next fight.

So, Bryan (and others), I for one would be interested in understanding what you think could be done differently next time (on the Ryan or other rivers in BC or locally here) that you think would change the outcome for the better.

Edited by arnobarno - 28 Aug 2007 at 11:11pm
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
Zanne
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Zanne Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 11:10pm
There was confusion earlier with the dam thing on the Ashlu. No, not a dam in the classic sense. I'll clarify here 'cuz Bryan''s on the couch now, nuf said... thanks for the BC love y'all btw, we like welcoming you good ones here!

So we both thought your question about the dam was a good one and deserved to be answered. No, not exaclty a dam as in "damned to stay put" , but... the water will slow down a bunch because a big concrete structure in the creekbed (which, by the way, is getting pretty big) will be the base of an inflatable bladder which will be adjustable to divert chosen amounts of water based on a minimum flow to remain in the creek of around 17 cms, so depending on how much water is flowing off the hills, more or less bladder... to slow the river down and get it to go down the tunnel and penstock and the turbines and then back in to the creek bed. (as a girl, I sort of see an irony here with a bladder nearly killing a river... anyhow... ) So the river is running -"run of river"- but down a big ass blind sieve or a trickle -or more, when there's tons of water out- and there's a bit of a lake above either of the drops.

This bladder/ tunnel entry is at the top of the mini-mine. The mini-mine is the bottom part of the mine run. And two kilometers ish above this top of mini-mine-tunnel spot is the portage on the mine run. end result: you can still run the mine run to the portage and then run a mile or so and then run in to who knows how much backed up water from the bladder/tunnel entry site. That's what'll be left of the mine run. (But at least we can rip up t'ere pretty fast now, eyh?)

There's a bunch more coming up that'll need this much buzz. so keep informed, speak out and support what makes sense, like conserving energy and being good to each other.

Check it out:

The BC creek protection society at: www.bc-creeks.org
And the local dissent: www.ashlu.info

ps: We aren't that many in up here in the great white north and we can sure use some help getting heard, especially in the light of free trade and natural resource extraction... But that's another half hour right there! We -well, I-LOVE AW for all the support they give us and I'm impressed they are interested in what's going on accross the border... but then again maybe I shouldn't be! shit Doug, you think t'ere gonna invade us? Maybe they would eyh? no, really, I appreciate that our neighbours to the south aren't all presumptuous and self-serving... There are a few good ones!

O, BTW: Ryan creek in Pemberton has a 125 MW project (big one) in the beginning of the approval process... so does the majority of Toba inlet.

what do you think? is now a good time to activate dissent? should we consult now? campaign? www.ishouldlearntobenice.ca

SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by PowWrangler

I've always know this about Leif, one of the many reasons I try hard not to end up boating with him.  Sorry for the negative vibes.

You may have great reasons for this opinion, and you're more than entitled to it, but this post is uncool. 

Personal attacks are uncalled for.

PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by SupaSta

[You may have great reasons for this opinion, and you're more than entitled to it, but this post is uncool. 

Personal attacks are uncalled for.

Sorry if you thought it that way, just a preference.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 12:25am
There is not any personal attacking going on here. Leif is basically lathering in chum before he goes for a dip on the great social reef.

Todd, Bryan, POW, and everyone else who thinks Leif is nuts can watch him continue on. Who cares!

The simple fact is that Leif took a trip up to BC and had a good time even though he did not Run any of the stuff he was setting out on. He had such a good time he wanted to share his experience with us through displaying his collection of knowledge from the trip. Thats his deal and how he communicates. Unfortunately he picked a topic that has many experts that by far surpass his level of understanding and background. I do it myself and I have seen others do it too, unfortunately this time it was regarding a matter that alot of people in BC, Seattle and other places find sensitive and important. This is in no doubt due to the work of Bryan, and many others so thanks for helping us become aware. I am not going to go into the sappy song over destruction in the woods because you all know the deal and should know what is good and bad.

I just felt like posting because I read this whole thread and wondered where it went wrong. Then I realized it didn't go wrong anywhere. This is what its all about. People don't agree on everything. We can't go through each post and find mistakes because they are going to be there. If you really want to help someone change their view get them off the side. Like maybe lets say Eric wanted to tell me I had a bad line or something. Instead of posting that shit for the world to see in standard then slo mo he could just hit me with a PM..mofo.. Or like last year at Thompson in stead of snapping on Leif I could have offered him a cube of butter and my breakdown. Thats what I am talking about resolutions because it what this whole thread is about. We want resolution to our problems.

So the first step is getting some new footage of me hitting a line. I am going to need a few editors and some good digital artists but I think we can do it. The next step is helping get Leif educated which is hard sometimes because he likes to commentate when he doesn't want to commemorate or collaborate. Were going to take that one in steps, so all you guys in BC can just kick back and take it easy knowing were workin down here on that one but without any promises.

RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 8:54am
While I stand by my comments that a change in strategy is needed to be successful in defeating these projects, I evidently offended quite a few people with those comments.  I appologize for the way in which I conveyed my opinion, and certainly regret any ill will caused by those comments.
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 9:09am
Originally posted by James

There is not any personal attacking going on here. ...

WHAT?!?!  

Saying you won’t boat with someone is probably the worst thing you can say about someone on a kayaking forum!

What exactly constitutes a personal attack in your mind? 

Dan

<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version