Professor Paddle: Accident on the Sky vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Accident on the Sky Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
clandestine
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote clandestine Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 9:21pm
VALLEY CO. - One man is dead after a kayaking accident on the Payette River in Valley County Sunday.
The accident happened near Highway 55 at milepost 91 just south of Smith's Ferry.

Rescue workers tried to revive Conrad Forney, but were not successful.

Cascade Ambulance and Valley County Sheriff's officials arrived on scene, and Life Flight was called out.

Forney was a skilled kayaker, and helped rescue a fellow kayaker in November. He is the second experienced boater to die on the river this summer. Dean Fairburn drowned on July 1st when his foot was pinned against a rock.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 11:33pm
After reading this, I'm totally skipping spring quarter and just getting certifications galore.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 6:44am
Originally posted by ashleygoesdisco

After reading this, I'm totally skipping spring quarter and just getting certifications galore.

Wow the dedication to college of young people  today 
Sure?
bronkrdr
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote bronkrdr Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 7:42am
There's a time and place for everything... Its called college. I spent 6 years there and came out with a B.S. in BS. I done did get me some of dat dere edumaction.
I drink rum and wear my wife's underwear when no one is looking!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 11:21am
Originally posted by newtobin

Originally posted by ashleygoesdisco

Wow the dedication to college of young people  today 

Hey. No one said I wasn't going to finish college. Plus I'm going to a tiny private school next year. And skipping a quarter is completely different from skipping a quarter at a university.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 12:19pm
No Worries Ash,,
  Take a SRT class from Chris, or I think Jonathan is an instructor now?
  The ability to deal with an "issue" is very important, however I am kicking myself for not having the ability to prevent an issue!
  The fact that 5-6 others missed it, including Ambre, is shocking! It doesn't matter what your boating ability is, it should always be " safety first" 
  I have noticed a trend, myself included, of the " follow me " mentality. Is there anything wrong with setting safety on BD for a first run through? Swimming Boulder, and I only use it as a common example, SUCKS! Why swim above the fence and only get help in the eddie? It's easy to get someone to shore in the pool. It's the complacent attitude that we have towards things we have already done, just because we have, doesn't mean they have.
  I am not scathing anyone!  Repeat ANYONE!! I am an obvious offender!  But it's a matter of perspective. My first real river ( aside from Powerhouse ) was the Tieton, I trusted the guys that said I wouldn't have a problem. I got my royal ass kicked, I swam 8 times. I had someone offer to take me to the hospital that evening!
  The fact that Ambre is my girlfriend and I introduced to kayaking ( with her first river ever resulting in a dislocated shoulder, and an extensive rehab)  I feel a sence of responsibility for her well being. She is ultimately resposible for her own safety, learned through judgemant and experience, but I have a responsibility also, it's the same responsibility I feel for amyone I boat with, it's a team sport.
  I suppose the guy getting entrapped in BD this week has a part to play in my thoughts, but its a good thought process.

Edited by newtobin - 16 Aug 2007 at 12:25pm
Sure?
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 6:30pm
For those interested I'm putting together an Intro to Creekin' class next spring. It'll be a one day affair on an easy creek with the main points being scouting/boat scouting, safety and judgement. A great class for sure. Plan on a full 8 hours.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by water wacko

For those interested I'm putting together an Intro to Creekin' class next spring. It'll be a one day affair on an easy creek with the main points being scouting/boat scouting, safety and judgement. A great class for sure. Plan on a full 8 hours.

Looking forward to it! 

Make it a weekend and give me lots of notice and I'll be there.

Dan
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2007 at 9:07am
PM me if you want one day or two day. The two day version would have a full day of kayak rescue for the second day.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2007 at 10:21am
I don't doubt that Sno County pulls about 20 bodies out of the Sky a year. The Skagit River is not nearly as popular a recreation spot and we pull about 10 out of it each year. I seriously doubt they are all kayakers. Most are probably suicides or shore folk who make a mistake and end up in the water.

This year for some reason there is a unusually large number of people who venture out into the river in a boat with no motor or paddles (at least on the Skagit). I think their basic plan is to use the log jams and their oarless row boat to make the river a giant game of plinko. They may not have PFD's, but at least they make up for it by tying themselves to the boat.

Kyle
I smell bacon
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2007 at 9:31pm
Everybody knows you tie yersef to the boat. That way it dudint get away ferm ya.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version