Professor Paddle: Welcome to WW4W! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Welcome to WW4W! Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Topic: Welcome to WW4W!
    Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 1:04pm
Hey Ladies!

We now have our own forum! Feel free to discuss anything you like, as long as it follows the rest of the Professor Paddle rules, stated here... http://professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3

And yes, boys, you are allowed. But remember that this is not testosterone-zone. The rest of the site is a better place to declare your masculinity, but feel free to post here.... nicely.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me (or James, of course.) a PM.

Happy posting, and more importantly, PADDLING! Let the estrogen-fest begin!

Thanks!
Ashley Duffus
(Forum Moderator... apparently.)

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 13 Aug 2007 at 1:07pm
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
bronkrdr
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote bronkrdr Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 3:39pm
I smell Mary Kay...
I drink rum and wear my wife's underwear when no one is looking!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 4:24pm
Most of the female paddlers I've met in my boating career have been better than most the guys I have met on the river.  I think that it is because they don't have the muscle mass that men use often instead of technique. 

I guess what I'm saying is that women usually have better technique.  Any thoughts on that?
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by bronkrdr

I smell Mary Kay...

Guess what. I can delete that if I want.
Ashley Duffus
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 7:10am
Originally posted by ashleygoesdisco

Originally posted by bronkrdr

I smell Mary Kay...

Guess what. I can delete that if I want.

Is this gonna be like in life?  Women only hear what they want?
Sure?
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 8:13am
I take offense to that comment.

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 14 Aug 2007 at 8:15am
Ashley Duffus
bronkrdr
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote bronkrdr Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 8:54am
Ashley - Its what you are, accept it. Now, I'm making a personal resolution to stay off WW4W.

Edited by bronkrdr - 14 Aug 2007 at 8:55am
bronkrdr
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote bronkrdr Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 9:40pm

James thanks for the forum!!  Ash, I know you will do a kick a** job as moderator!

As far as Justin's observation - that women have better technique - I have talked with a lot of paddlers, both male and female, that have said the same.  A good reason for it is what Justin was saying - women don't have the brute strength to power through on the river all day.  It takes a better execution of technique to keep going on the river.

I'm looking forward to having some great discussions and hearing some great stories in this forum!!  So far we have only had boys posting - come on Ladies!!!  This is a great thing - we just have to use it!

Ash - I know you were going to boat today, and I'm anxious to hear how the run went!  Was it fun, what was your favorite part, etc....  Give us a great post to kick off WW4W!

Oops, sorry, forgot to log Adam off and log myself in - this is Megan

Edited by bronkrdr - 14 Aug 2007 at 9:42pm
Megan
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Megan Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 9:49pm
I'm curious what people's favorite runs are.  I really like the Wenatchee (at modest flows) because there are no rocks to have to dodge  and the waves are super fun.  But I like the lower of the White Salmon because it is more technical.  Anyone have a run that really stands out??  Or just comments in general?
Yeah, my boat is pink, it's okay to be jealous.
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 10:40pm
Come on Megan. High water Wenatchee is the shiiit.  I'm still in Husum, I'll post a TR or something tomorrow.
Ashley Duffus
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 8:14am

I have to agree.  We did the Wenatchee at ~19k and it was a blast!  Since it's pretty deep, there were really no holes to speak of.  The waves just got a whole lot bigger.

The only exception was Rodeo Hole.  That was pretty intimidating.  Everybody gave it pretty wide berth.  I got a bit lazy and got tossed around a bit by the eddyline.

Looking forward to doing it again.

Dan
Megan
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Megan Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:42pm
I guess I'll have to see what the higher levels are all about next season - I was on it at 10k, but bailed - which was the wise move at the time since I had very little river time under my belt.  Next time it was lower, not sure somewhere around 5 or 6k.  It was fun for me then! 
Yeah, my boat is pink, it's okay to be jealous.
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 10:33am

We are all paddler's.Is there going to be a transgender forume next. Or maybey a blue or grey alien forum is in order. We all read and can read everthing posted except fo p.m. It really tick's me off people can't see everyone is equal and able to do whatever we put your minds to, that is if your not hung up on sencless issue's like gender, race , age, religon, money, politic's and who you sleep with! We are all one no one better or worse and why make thing's harder than they allready are !! Less forum's mor boating!!!! 

There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2008 at 5:18pm
So why is this thread so much of a ghost town? I'm not here to dis, and I promise to behave (unlike elsewhere on this site).

Maybe Women just don't need to shoot off their mouths as much, hence the apparent lack of activity.

Anyway, I did post here for a reason: My ex-girlfriend has a FABULOUS roll. SOLID. However, she remains in a sort of perpetual class II state of being (not that that's bad). We attribute this to three things:

1) a lack of female paddling companions.  
2) She has a hard time finding people to do class II runs with, and easy class III- runs.
3) her work schedule makes it tough to synch up w/ other paddlers: Monday/Tuesday off.

She's actually quite a natural when it comes to paddling. Just needs more time on the water. So, Ashley, or Megan (the only girls I see posting here), maybe you can hook her up with some other women of her skill level.

She's planning on going to the PP Ball, and hopefully you both are, too, unless all of the "balls" related inuendos are gonna turn you off. Hope not. Turns ME off, and I have a set. Regardless I will be there and so will she.

She used to post here but I think her profile got wiped due to lack of activity. Anyway, She DOES love being out and I hate to see such inate talent go to waste. Help!

JP
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2008 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by wetmouse

So why is this thread so much of a ghost town? I'm not here to dis, and I promise to behave (unlike elsewhere on this site).

Maybe Women just don't need to shoot off their mouths as much, hence the apparent lack of activity.

Anyway, I did post here for a reason: My ex-girlfriend has a FABULOUS roll. SOLID. However, she remains in a sort of perpetual class II state of being (not that that's bad). We attribute this to three things:

1) a lack of female paddling companions.  
2) She has a hard time finding people to do class II runs with, and easy class III- runs.
3) her work schedule makes it tough to synch up w/ other paddlers: Monday/Tuesday off.

She's actually quite a natural when it comes to paddling. Just needs more time on the water. So, Ashley, or Megan (the only girls I see posting here), maybe you can hook her up with some other women of her skill level.

She's planning on going to the PP Ball, and hopefully you both are, too, unless all of the "balls" related inuendos are gonna turn you off. Hope not. Turns ME off, and I have a set. Regardless I will be there and so will she.

She used to post here but I think her profile got wiped due to lack of activity. Anyway, She DOES love being out and I hate to see such inate talent go to waste. Help!

JP

A- Have her send me an email... I love paddling with girls, and need some class II/easy III right now.

B- I'll be at the ball for sure.
Ashley Duffus
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2008 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by ashleygoesdisco

Come on Megan. High water Wenatchee is the shiiit.  I'm still in Husum, I'll post a TR or something tomorrow.

I'm in a constant state of amazement to the 'one up-MAN-ship' kayakers throw around.  Shouldn't it be just having fun with what one is comfortable with and not what others think is fun?
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2008 at 11:00pm
Definitely. But when I boat with the person on a regular basis, and I know that they can safely boat what I am talking about... shameless promotion is all good.
Ashley Duffus
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 10:59pm
Hey Ashley, what are you doing on July 4th? Marlo and I are planning on running somethin-- probably the S.Frk Snoqualmie. I posted a trip. check it out if you're able to go/interested!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
julie
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote julie Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 8:04pm
Hey there,

I just joined the forum. I am new to town, and looking for some paddling buddies. I am a class 2-3 boater right now would like to get better but its hard when you don't know any local boaters.

I was looking at the trip posting and most of it looks out of my league. Are there any ladies here that would be interested in taking mercy on the newbie and doing some class 2-3 rivers with me?

Julie   
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 9:06am
Julie,

There are several gals that are in the same skill range that you are ... they have been out shreading it up all over the place. I hear the powerhouse is a standard staple, but lately I have bumped into them on the Sky and Middle Middle too...

A few days ago I met Mary and Marlo who were just rippin it up, I have not seen those smooth long boat moves in a long time out there! Mary is the Eddy Queen !

Since I can't seem to get Dave to take me kayaking, I think I will go work out at lake meridian tonight. Your welcome to check it out if your interested in the flatwater workout.
watergirl
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote watergirl Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 12:07pm
Word to the women.  We're out here.  Never you fear.
ArielleFurtado
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote ArielleFurtado Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 4:00pm
Julie,

I live in Bellingham, Im new to boating too. I've been heading out to the North fork of the Nooksack on thursdays with a big crew, it it class 2/3. I'm always down to run easier rivers with you! I'm headed out of town August 22 but I'll be back in september.
Where are you?

Arielle
GRINS!
julie
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote julie Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 7:48pm
Hey Arielle,

I usually boat 2-3's. I am ok with 3's as long as they are not long and continuous. I am sortof a pool-drop 3 paddler. I've been on mostly 2's lately because my only boating buddy is brand new. I've got a solid battle roll both sides so hopefully that will get me somewhere.

I am also leaving town on Thursday 8/22- Monday (to go kayak the Grand Ronde). But I'd love to hook up for a Thursday paddle when you get back. I have Thursdays and Mondays flexible on work schedule so I can usually get away.

Thanks for the reply
Julie
503-267-2635 (best way to reach me)
Liz
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote Liz Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 5:16pm

Arielle, Julie, Mary, Marlo, Ashley, Megan, Jeff (when you want to paddle the pink Rocker J),

Add me to your list of women who want to get together and paddle 2-3 stuff.  I want to do more, but I need to acquire the skills first.  Class III is good for me at the moment.

As for women boaters… I really enjoy paddling with excellent women boaters.  I learn a lot from mentors and through the examples of female boaters.  I glean a lot by watching other women successfully navigate the rivers and the river scene (the social scene can wipe a gal out of her boat too).  They inspire me, and they help me see where I can go.  I recognize that I also have a place in this sport and I’m not such an odd-ball-out. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't not like boating with guys.  Many of them have been my great teachers (and my great crushes :) and I am grateful for them.  I have felt welcomed and encouraged by my male counterparts, even when I’m the only girl on their man trip.  I have generally found them encouraging and respectively curious about my female boating prowess J.  There have been exceptions, but any guy worth my time isn’t intimidated by a woman in a boat.

I have, however, found that we have some differences (surprise, I know!).  Part of this may be coming from my rafting background, but I set up early, and I look at the whole rapid.  In that light, I don’t run rapids like a lot of guys run rapids.  And so, I usually don’t want to follow a guy’s line!  Male boaters are the only ones I have ever heard this little line from: “Stay right behind me and follow my line.”  I want to read my own water and be responsible for my own carnage!  I'm not looking to muscle my way through a line if I can set up a clean run from the get go.  If there is a hole center right around the second corner that I can’t see right now, tell me that if you want to (I’d appreciate it), maybe even tell me where you plan to go (ask Bryon—if you get cocky, the river eats you), but I’m kayaking here folks!  I’m not practicing synchronized swimming with a paddle and a helmet.   

I’m learning that there are some women kayaking groups out there.  Anna Levesque started a company devoted to kayaking for women called “Girls at Play” (see http://watergirlsatplay.com/).  She also made the first video series on women specific kayaking skills, and leads women kayaking tours for everyone from the novice to the expert (as soon as I can save $3,000, I’m going!).  I have heard that PDXGirlPaddler is a large women’s paddling group out of Portland, and NRS has a

Women Boater Discussion Group at http://www.nrsweb.com/Boating_Tips/Women_Boaters_Discussion.asp that I really enjoyed.  Everything from long hair and gaskets to the color of your HydroSilk shirt.  It’s nice to know we have some commonalities. 

shiva10226
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote shiva10226 Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 8:48am
Hi all,
I live in Olympia and I'm looking for a girl or a group to kayak class II or III with. Do you know how I could hook up with someone?
Katrina
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version