Professor Paddle: BC Breakdown Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: BC Breakdown Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
BC Breakdown (Trip Quick View)
Find out more details by Viewing the Trip Page
Nahatlatch  (2. Lower Canyon)   Class IV+    |     
Trip Leader : James
Contact # : 206-878-4047
Meeting Time : 8/17/2007 11:00:00 AM
Meeting Place : The Nahatlatch Campground - Apocoynm if that is spelled right.
Paddlers Paddling
Jonathan Mastin , Sisu , Heather , justin , RemAcct2 , Adrian
<< Prev Page  of 2
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 12:05pm
So, Jon and I took the drive too - quite amazing.  A few frightning bridges, and some remarkable scenery.  The creek along the road prior to big silver main (clear creek?)  was pretty spectacular.  We stoped and looked at this one waterfal that was like a supersized version of crack in the earth - a big pourover heading into a headwall, turning 90 degrees, and pouring into another pool.  There were some kayakers running it (two trucks) - I'd be curious to know what the class rating was.  The lower kookapei looks runable with some more water, as well...

- Leif 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 12:28pm
Leif... The two trucks were Me, Brad, Erik, Chris, Hilary and Matt doing the big silver. We left our cars down farther where we met up with Erik and the others.

Not sure which falls your talking about. There are alot on this section. The big 30 footer has changed and no one ran that. There is now this nasty nasty sieve sucker right at the top that is just scarier than scary... If that just weren't there!

You might have also been looking at the water falls just as Kookapei road connects with big silver or East Harrison FSR. That has not been run, and it looks to be impossible as all the water just pours into a nasty headwall that is back in a dark pocket.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 12:43pm
The most impressive falls were the ones where kookapei connects to east harrison fsr.  Quite clear that they were unrunnable, but we took a closer look just because of how impressive they were.  There were two trucks parked below the falls, one at a large pool with about a 30' falls on river left, and the other truck down the way a bit, but prior to harrison east fsr intersecting big silver main. 

My understanding was that you guys were on big silver (the book does say everyone walks the falls).  I thought I remember the creek along harrison east being clear creek, but I can't remember.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 1:26pm
Ok so you are most likely reading some off beta bud.

Big Silver that is in the guide books is a III/IV play run with a 15 foot waterfall in the middle of the run. That is most likely what you are taking about. That is way way way down lower.

The portion where you saw the trucks was way up top. That is the Upper Stretches. The 30' Falls is the putin for that run and the other truck is where the take out is. Oh yea, I am the only person that really knows the right way from the river to the take out vehicle, so if you want directions let me know.

J
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 3:04pm
Ok, Looked at - maps.gov.bc.ca.  No name...  Clear Creek is the next inflow to the Big Silver south.  I did some searches, and I guess it is called big silver creek (as opposed to big silver river with the III/IV run).  Got this from TRL - pics match what I saw.  What part of this did you ran?

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 3:33pm
Yea thats the same run that we did. The only difference is that the big waterfall at the top is now different post highwater. There is now a large sieve at the lip of the falls with a good portion of water dumping into it. It is super scary. The boulder gaurding the sieve was changed or moved. It is now a pretty dicey move!

J
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 3:39pm
In trying to figure out what things were, keep in mind that I navigated back without a map...

The run looked pretty sweet, but what would you rate it at this level?  IV-V, V, V+?

I was amazed how deep the pool was at the bottom of the first waterfall you come to (under the bridge), and how clear the water was.  It must have had some incredible scenery in the canyon.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 3:44pm
It was easily one of the more amazing gorges I have ever been in. Awesome ... just awesome!

I would say that at low water it is IV+, medium water it would be IV-V and high water it would be V. The only thing is that you can't have sloppy lines in some of the rapids. There are a few manky ones but tons of clean ones too!

J
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 4:07pm
I'd like to run it sometime...
jerryj
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jerryj Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 6:58pm

James -

Good to paddle with you last weekend on the Upper Birkenhead.  This is Jerry from Atlanta.  Just checking out your website; very cool.  Looks like you still have good water in WA, and BC as well.  We're already planning our return to BC next year.  Maybe WA/OR in the Spring for some of those classic Cascade runs.

Take care,

Jerry Jascomb
JJ
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 3:09pm
Jerry,

Right on I was wondering if you guys would make it back ok and find our little spot here.

I am not sure if you have seen the footage and write up yet but here are some links so you don't have to hunt. i would love to check out some of the clips that were taken that day with the fancy Nikon Camera. That thing looked spendalicous!

Birkenmyhead - Birkenhead
Cashing out on Callaghan - Callaghan

Hope to hook up with you again on your next trip!

James
jerryj
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jerryj Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 3:27pm
Nice photos, James.  Yeah, we all enjoyed the hell outta BC - fantastic place.  Our crew is compiling photos and videos of the trip, I'll make sure you're on the copy list.  Alex has a website, most of it will probably be posted there. He's currently editing.

I'm in Honduras right now, but not boating - work.  Thanks for the links, and I'll be in touch.

Jerry
JJ
Erik
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Erik Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 7:54pm
FYI - there is an unrunnable 30' falls in the middle of the III/IV run down low in the drainage.

Can't remember if it's before or after the 15 footer.

I'm bummed about the 30 footer at the put-in of the upper run.  That thing is fugly now.
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 2:43pm
Man, those pictures of Silver Creek are amazing!  I got to get up there.
... preparing for a river beating!     
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version