Professor Paddle: Paddle repair? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Open Forum
 Professor Paddle : The Class Room : Open Forum
Message Icon Topic: Paddle repair? Post Reply Post New Topic
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Online Status: Offline
  Quote slickhorn Replybullet Topic: Paddle repair?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 8:43am
I've got an old school werner paddle, you know, white symmetrical blades -- old school. 

It was only used once, and the blade cracked.  Werner won't touch it because it's so old.  REI used to repair fiberglass paddles, but won't anymore. 

Where can I get this thing fixed?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 10:40am
This is where REI sends their stuff to be repaired. I'm not sure if it is REI that is not doing it anymore, due to the difficulty shipping paddles, or Rainy Pass themselves. Shoot them an email.

http://rainypass.com/

Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 11:51am
Also check out Gravity Sports in Renton.

I had a surfboard crack around the tip and Dave at Gravity did an amazing fiberglass repair on it. Then a few years later my wife got ran over on the slopes and her snow board was cracked pretty bad. REI said no and so did snowboard connection. But not gravity. Dave whipped up a wild patch kit matched the plastic and made edges to boot.

I figure he would try anything.

James
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 9:04am
thanks guys -- I'll try gravity first, sounds like they got the expertise.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 3:44pm
Fiberglass repair is expensive. Save some $$ with my paddle repair guide!

Go to Tap and buy some surfboard resin and cloth, ratio marked mixing cups, stirrers, rubber gloves, a squeegie, and pigment (if you want).

Go to FMeyer and buy some 80 and 120 grit sandpaper, 1in brushes, some dust masks and masking tape. If you have a drill, buy a 5in sanding disk and the adhesive sandpaper to match to save some time.

On a warm, dry day:

1. Sand past the broken areas, and remove any jagged edges with a utility knife or dremel.

2. Really rough up the entire legnth of the faces of the blade with the 80grit.

3. Do not clean the sanded areas with mineral spirits or acetone. Use a SLIGHTLY dampened cloth to remove the dust. Once its clean, keep it clean- don't touch!

4. Lay the fiberglass cloth (2 layers 6oz.) over the blade and cut the excess away with a sharp pair of scissors, leaving an inch of overlap past the blade's edge. Where the paddle curves at the corners, snip v shaped pieces of cloth away as relief cuts to prevent the cloth from bunching up.

5. Prepare your area for glassing. You should have a stable work area with a drop cloth under it. Have your resin, hardener, pigment, squeegie, brushes, gloves, and mask laid out. Put on some Steel Pulse or something.

6. Properly mix your resin, hardener, and pigment according to the can and the graduated scale on the mixing cup from Tap. Stir well- I stir it for a whole song usually. If you can see any vapors coming off the cup, yo mixed it wrong and you should run. Wait about 5 min before you move on to let the resin kick off a bit.

7. Holding the squeegie in one hand, and the cup of resin in the other, apply the resin to the cloth. To evenly apply, move from one side of the area to the other. The leading hand pours a 1/2 in stream of resin on to the cloth. The trailing hand spreads the resin with the squeegie. When the end is reached, the extra resin goes back into the cup. When the whole blade is covered, make a few light passes to remove excess resin. You dont want the cloth floating above the paddle, and you dont want the cloth to be too dry. If you can see little fish eyes the cloth is too dry. Use your fingers and the brush to wet the overlapping cloth and either wrap it to the other side, or let it ride and cut it off later. Let the resin completely dry.

8. Flip the paddle over. With 80grit sandpaper, remove any irregularities on the paddles edges or the unglassed side from glassing the first face. Do up the entire second face, repeating the steps from #2-#7.

9. Finish sand with the 120grit and higher if you want a sheen. Clear spraypaint saves some time for a shine.

This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 3:53pm
SOmebody has fixed a few dings on his surfboard over the years.
... preparing for a river beating!     
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 4:48pm
Put a surfboard shaped piece of foam under steps 1-9 and you got a board!
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 10:47am
I hereby knight thee Sir Erik of Fiberglass Land. Thanks for the tips, I'm saving that one for future reference.
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 4:13pm
Yeah!  Props to Erik!  I got an old Werner and it needs some lovin'!  Time to test my 'glassing skills with Eriks instructions as guidence.  (Not as much lovin' as my AT needs though, that puppy snapped clean off!)  I've seen a few custom fibergalss jobs on older Werners and they looked pretty solid. 
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:37pm
Professor Sanstrom You da man!
Professor of the surf
Professor Fix-it!

I'm with Eric:
DIY is the best way

on a side note I'll express my disappointment that Werner can't "play ball" and repair a paddler or two now and again. Blunt Family Man sure as hell would. It wouldn't hurt to contact him (Kenny) and ask him if he had any tips for ya. he knows glass work as it pertains to paddles.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version