Professor Paddle: Cayoosh Creek BC? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Cayoosh Creek BC? Post Reply Post New Topic
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Online Status: Offline
  Quote slickhorn Replybullet Topic: Cayoosh Creek BC?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2007 at 8:58am
Sounds fun.  Anyone done it?  When is the season? 

I can't find recommended flows, but the BC hydro gauge is reading between 30-40 cms, which puts the flow in the vicinity of 1000 cfs I believe? 

I'm guessing that's high -- anyone know what a med or med-low flow would be on this creek?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JD G
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JD G Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2007 at 9:13am
The main Cayoosh section is a good run.  Have done it every year for the past several years.  There are 3+ sections I know of.
1) Below the diversion, class 3ish.  Don't know if it's worth it, never done it.
2) Middle Section, Class IV - V.  Go up the big hill from Lilloet, TO is down a dirt road, near the snow gates, PI is at the first bridge crossing the creek.  The run is down in a huge scree canyon.  Good mix of IV and V drops.  Landslide section is always changing, and has some ugly spots.  Rocks are "fresh" and sharp.  Don't recommend the run for Class IV paddlers.  Scout the canyon at then end, to make sure there's no wood, and see the final drop.
3) Upper Section, Class V - VI.  Late late season, need very low water.  Heavy action.  Make sure you want it, before you start.  Run is way down in there. TO is at the PI Bridge for the "Middle", and the PI is further up the road.
4) Upper Upper Sections, Class III - IV+, depending on where you put-in.

Levels should be good in August for the Middle Section.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2007 at 9:17am
thanks JD! 

Think the flows are ok for that midddle III section? Maybe we can scout what we can of the gorges and get a sense of the flow on the III section, as we're headed up that way this weekend.

do you happen to know access for the middle III section?

I'll definitely look forward to getting that middle IV-V section later this summer!
JD G
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JD G Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2007 at 10:03am
You're welcome.

Not sure how the flows will be for the Lower Section.  You can see the end of it before it gets to the Lilloet.  BTW, there may be another smaller diversion in that stretch, but you'll see it when you're heading up the road.  I'd think you could do the lower at 1,000.  You're going to put in at the TO Bridge for the Middle.  When you're heading up the hill, watch for the "Snow Gates", and you'll make a left onto a dirt road, and then bear to the right.  You'll see the river and the bridge.
When you put on at this bridge, you'll have more than a 1,000, since it's above the diversion.  Looks like some conitnuous class III for a 1/4 mile, and then you hit the diversion.  Below there I don't know, never done that stretch.

If you're coming from Whistler area (beautiful drive, do it in the daylight), then you can eyeball the upper upper stretches, and see if there's anything that "fits the bill".  There a few cmpgrds, and informal sites in this stretch.

Another option in that area, though it may be high, is the Lower Stein.  You hike up 2 - 3 miles on a trail on river right.  Some good continuous boating, depending on flows.  Take a ferry out of Lyton.

If you're in the Pemberton area, there's also a Class III stretch on the Birkenhead, goes from the first bridge upstream to just below Owl Creek Cmpgrd (good place to stay).  Upper Birk (Class IV - V) will be high.
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2007 at 4:17pm
I've never paddled up there, but have two bits of information:

- There is some information about Cayoosh Creek in Claudia Schwab's new guide to Whitewater in Southwest B.C.  She describes it as IV- the first 2km, next 2.5km class 3, last 4km class II.  She says, add a grade at high water.  She has a picture and logistic information but not much information about the run itself.  I'm guessing that this information is for the "Upper Upper" sections that JD G was describing as this is all further away from Lilloett.  She also indicates that 50cms is the typical peak flow and that a typical July flow is 15-40cms (no idea of what is considered high though).

- There is some AMAZING scrambling in that area if you are into that sort of thing.  While the area around Joffre Lakes is well known for climbing and hiking, the area on the other side of the Duffy, just past the pass is fantastic.  Trails head off to Marriott Basin and Mt. Rohr and the scramble to Mt. Rohr is beautiful.  Even better, if you are down on the Cayoosh, you'll pass a logging road - Downton Creek Road.  You can travel up this road practically into the alpine and have virtually limitless possibilities for scrambling.  Check out "Scrambles in British Columbia" by Matt Gunn if you are interested in some off river ideas or the flows aren't to your liking when you are there.  When Deborah and I scrambled to Downton Creek Peak 8700 in Fall 2005, it was one of our favorite scrambles of the year.

Edited by arnobarno - 24 Jul 2007 at 5:48pm
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2007 at 9:32am
Strong recomendation on Cayoosh.  Also on the Bridge River if you're up there!  1-2 day class III-IV run.  So beautiful.  Have fun.

JHB
JHB
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2007 at 9:36am
Nice!  The bridge is a favorite -- it was actually the first run I ever stepped up to IV drops on.  I enjoy revisiting it, sounds like we'll be on it Sunday. 

Sounds like the flows on Cayoosh are still too high, but I hope we can scout a bit and get in there when levels fall.

Our rough plan is Nahatlatch saturday (gauge is @ 2.8), Bridge sun, and Chilli canyon Mon. We'll be at apocynum if anyone wants to rally up there. 
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version