Professor Paddle: Some Advice...? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Some Advice...? Post Reply Post New Topic
GabeI
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GabeI Replybullet Topic: Some Advice...?
    Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 6:58pm
Hi all, I'm very new to this sport (just took an intro class a couple of weeks ago) and have been looking to gear up.  The problem comes with all the differnt choices for boats, I know I want a decent river runner just not sure how used (as in years old) I should be making the cutoff point, or does that just depend on the brand? 
Right now I'm eyeing a Dagger RPM, but......   Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
drop
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote drop Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 8:46pm
i just got a bliss-stick super rad 180 and i love it
master swimmer
drop
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote drop Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 8:48pm
hay when did i become a rock bumper? what the hell is that any way
master swimmer
GabeI
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote GabeI Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 9:10pm
Whoa!  That's a lot of cash to throw down right now, I still have to get everything else except the booties. 
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 11:45pm
The RPM was the most popular boat of all time.  It is a great river runner and surfs like a charm, and squirts like a pro too.  It all depends on what direction you want to take with your boating.  I wouldn't get anything older than an RPM.  If I were you I would try as many boats as I could get my hands on before buying one.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 7:17am
The Jackson Fun series is currently the best selling beginner boat on the market. There are seven different sizes of the Fun. I've paddled them and love them. I have a Jackson All-Star which is more playboat and less runner. The outfitting is the shizz and Jackson uses the strongest plastic on the market so you won't have to worry about cracking. You can also get a new one for about $600.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 9:33am
There are two versions of the Fun, the 2005 and the 2007. The 2005 is currently selling at a discount. If you want to be able to get a brand new boat for 500-600 bucks that is only one generation old and a great beginner boat, the 2005 Fun is a great decision.

The RMP would not be a bad choice. You just have to deal with the fact that yes, while it will allow you to get on your feel river running wise, it will really limit your play. The Fun has the same river running capabilities and is still forgiving with the added benefit of being much more modern and palyful.
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 10:18am
As others said it depends on where you want to go kayaking wise.  The best boat to buy off the bat would be a river runner because it is more stable and easier to learn in. 

However, I would recommend getting a playboat if you plan to start learning to surf, play in holes, cartwheel, etc.  Playboats are more aggressive but  in my opinion more fun in the long run.   Your also not stuck with an old river runner to sell to the next beginner.

Dagger Kingpin's have a great reputation and you can find them pretty cheap now.  I don't know anything about Jackson Fun's except they are becoming incredibly popular.
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 10:18am

Gabel, try going to the Jackson website and reading about the boats in the Jackson line.  After reading the specs, descriptions, and looking at the images you should have a better understanding of what makes a boat a good playboat, riverrunner, creekboat, etc.  Even if you don't get a Jackson boat it will help you to determine what you want in a boat.   

... preparing for a river beating!     
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 11:00am
I went from a Dagger Kingpin, to a Classic Fun, and my roll got 100 times better.

IMHO, a Jackson is an awesome investment for a beginner. You get an awesome boat, that is a relatively new design, and they're stable, fantastic boats. And you wont necessarily have to get a new boat when you want to try different stuff.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2007 at 11:31am
Jackson's do kick ass, I just got a rad 180 as well though . It's a sick boat . l will give you this piece of advice. Don't go with the rpm or any boat recomended for beginer. You'll be past it's performance in month's then you'll be searching for another boat to throw down 400-1000 bucks. Get somthing that fit's well. A playboat will alway's be a bit snugg. but the mor forward the more you'll throw down. You can get your roll in anything. Boat's with more cut edges catch more  water, while rounded edges let water pass over it easier. A boat with more gallon's keeps you from going so deep, while a lower volume will make you a master mistery move maniac. Don't be scared of getting a more advanced boat you'll be happier. Three boat's later 2 1/2 years after I got into paddling I've found my happy place with the rad 180. My first boat was a juice and with 70 gallons It was great for learning but I was over it in two month's. You might feel better in a bigger volume boat but will learn more in a smaller boat. I suggest invest in all your other gear, At Aqua sport in redmond, then demo as many boat's you can before buying. Get your roll down, techniuqe is eveything. Good luck. "The sky is falling someone must go and tell the king!" Slit rock and the big eddie are great practice spot's on the sky. The ben howard wave is a good beginer area as well. plenty of time too self rescue. That's if you don't have a combat roll. I'm off like a scalded hound !!

Edited by Chuck e fresh - 13 Jul 2007 at 11:33am
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
GabeI
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote GabeI Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 12:35am
Wow!  Thanks everyone for the advice, I've decided to pass on the RPM, looks like there is a play boat in my near future.
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 7:46am
good choice....
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 8:15am
no doubt you will be happy that you held out for the right boat.
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 8:39am
Well, I don't want to rain on the Jackson parade, but, I think a Jackson Fun is NOT a beginner boat.  Now then, lots of people on this thread have tons more boating experience than me.  But, I was a beginner more recently (I started a year ago) and remember what it was like to be a beginner much better.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Jackson 4Fun and love it.  It surfs great (much better than the kayaker in it, for sure) and I really love how it carves when I am turning it.  In fact, I hardly use my Diesel 75 anymore (my first boat) because I enjoy the Jackson so much.

But, it is definitely not as easy to roll or as stable as, say, a Wavesport Diesel.  The Jackson also isn't nearly as comfortable.  This isn't to say that the Jackson is hard to roll.  It isn't.  But, there are easier boats to start with that are more forgiving of say leaning a bit the wrong way.

My advice is to get something - practically anything - that feels comfortable to you and you feel is relatively easy to roll.  IMHO, the most important thing when you are starting out is just days on the water and building confidence.  And, I think that you'll build up that confidence quicker in a true river runner than in a river runner/playboat.  Lots of people are selling boats that are just a couple of years old that you can pick up for not too much money.  I'm sure that many of them will work plenty well for you.

Good luck.

Edited by arnobarno - 17 Jul 2007 at 8:41am
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 12:27pm
My first boat was a Classic Fun. I was paddling the Fun, instead of the 2Fun, because of the extra volume, (aka, rooooooom in the boat!) I think that because I was in more of a "playboat", I had to learn to control it, more than in a Diesel, or similar boat. Not saying that you don't have to control a Diesel, but it definitely slides through a lot more than a play oriented boat will.

I would have to agree with Chucky. It's a better choice in the long run to buy a more stable playboat. While you might find yourself upside down a little more often, if you have a roll, its a good way to bomb-proof it, as well as learn boat control that you will need when you start running bigger stuff.

Now, I've been boating for three years, and running rivers in some form or another for more than five. But I still only boat class III/III+, sometimes IV. Some of the guys on here haven't been boating that long, and they run V all the time. Point being, I'm a pretty cautious boater. I haven't even made it down Boulder Drop yet, despite constant prodding from many directions, and I've been told that my skill level is up to par with making it down completely upright and fine, but I don't want to do it yet.

That said... I think that after a few months time, a super stable boat will get rather boring. I just bought a new boat, and its quite a bit smaller than my old one. I definitely have to work more on my edge control, and watch eddy lines more than I did in the old boat... But I've found that it makes the river more interesting when I have to stay on my toes.

I'm guilty of telling people to get them, because they're awesome... But don't get a Jackson because half of everyone and their mom says you should. I love them. Almost everyone I know that has one, loves them, but if you don't like one, get something else that's comfortable.

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 17 Jul 2007 at 12:30pm
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 4:54pm
Well, I guess I throw in my 2 cents worth..  I got into boating  just over a year ago and had no clue what I was looking for in a boat.  I bought the first one I could find that I could fit into and afford.  Turns out the Riot Prankster is not a great beginner boat unless you want to either learn real fast or get real wet and frustrated.  I chose to learn fast and am thankful for it.  It turns out the Prankster was a great boat once I learned to use it properly.  I quickly yearned for a smaller (and even more squirrely) play boat which I found and am very happy with (go Pyranha!).  So you can go all manner of different routes here - demo a bunch of boats and see which one you like, or troll craigslist for cheap boats, pick one, and roll with it (pun intended!) for a while, then move up to the next model.  Good luck!
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2007 at 7:47pm

Look into Bliss Sticks, the Rad series is a great playful river runner!  Its not very agressive in the waves but is stable as hell. There are 4 sizes, the 185 is a great choice for midsize and up beginners. The 180 is a bit more edgy and smaller but still very stable.

The price is also very right!!  750 for a new boat with damn fine outfitting!!  Their customer service is second to none also!!
  My advice would be to try at least 5 different boats before you decide,,
  Oh and as a side note, Wave Sport warranty dept sucks ass!!  good boats bad service. I have started calling them disposable boats.  Like a Susuki Samurai
  Peace

Sure?
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version