Professor Paddle: A line in the river. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: A line in the river. Post Reply Post New Topic
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Weide Replybullet Topic: A line in the river.
    Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 3:20pm
SRK customers are no longer welcome at the the Wave Trek put in at Index. After asking and being granted permission to use Wave Trek's private river access, owner Bill threatened myself and four other boaters with arrest simply because we were boating with Ashley, an SRK employee. I recently purchased a Kokatat dry top, booties, and paddling shorts from the OAC (totaling more than $500). I am outraged that the owner would threaten to arrest me (a former customer) for boating with the competition.

In the words of FEZ, "I say goo-day to you sir".

P.S. You can't arrest us when we are in the water.

Edited by Weide - 28 Jun 2007 at 3:22pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 3:26pm

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 29 Jun 2007 at 5:16pm
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 4:26pm
Hmmm, I was wondering when this was gonna pop up!  (NOTE:  I'm not trying to sound confrontational here.  If it sounds like it, it isn't intended.  If you still thinks so, get bent.  I know both Scott and Ashley and ain't trying to beat down friends, merely state some facts and offer MY insite into the situation)

First I think it should be noted that OAC and Aqua Sports are 2 different companies that merely occupy shard building space in Redmond (unless I have been grossly misinformed or am just a complete idiot).

Second, I talked to Mr. Corson (want to make the distinctions between the Bills clear) on sunday about this subject and got some insite and information that may be useful.  Just a brief note, there is a lot of history between OAC/Wave Trek and SRK, but it is not my place to bring that to the table. 

Ok, so here is my story.  A few of us went to Index on Sunday.  We chatted it up with friends at Wave Trek and were getting ready to put in on the river.  Mr. Corson politely asked us to sign liability waivers before we crossed his property and used the put-in on his property (note I'm stressing his property, i.e. it is a private launch site and therefore he can say who can use it and who can't).  No problems.  In todays lawsuit happy society, I'm suprised we didn't have to do this sooner.  He is just trying to cover his ass in case some dummie trips and hurts themself while putting in at his launch site. 

In addition, he politely asked that we not display SRK stickers on our vehicles if we were parked in the spaces directly in front of the Wave Trek building (again, seems reasonable, if he is giving us access to the river  via his property, he doesn't want advertisement from the competition staring his customers in the face).  Again, no problem.   That may be pushing it for some people, but if someone grants you permission to do something (in this case, crossing Private Property and use a Private launch site) it doesn't hurt to cooperate with a few minor requests.  Just my opinion. 

And as for the whole threatening to arrest you thing, I wouldn't put that theory to the test.  If you cross the property without permission, then that is trespassing, and could get you locked up, not to mention really stirring up the pot and making bad blood in our tiny community of paddlers. 

Anyway, I'm starting to get longwinded here.  My point is that if you are going to use the Wave Trek put-in in Index, check with them first, since it is private property and they are running a business.  Lets not make this into a playground fight over whoose side you're on (on another side note, I'm part of the Swiss Army on this one.  I'm not choosing sides.  I just want a cool pocket knife with lots o' gadgets!).  If you don't agree with their position, go to a different put in. 

Ok, with that I will sign off and await the ensuing barrage of comments!  Fire away!  Just remember, I've got my swiss army knife, and it might just happen to have a folding assault rifle in it!  haha!

-Jeffro
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 5:01pm
More to the point- boaters are so few and far between, we cannot afford to have the community divided. I was told last week of the SRK-OAC feud and I thought it was BS. Now I have a guy threatening to arrest me because I am boating with an SRK employee. What is this the Wild West. I can say that I will not trouble him again for his put-in and he can politely not trouble me to spend money in his shop.

P.S. If I have my affiliations backward, as Jeff points out, then OAC lost a customer because they operate too closely with a true meanie.

P.P.S. Why would a sane businessman say, "You can't come on my property if you have a bumper sticker for my competitor."

Edited by Weide - 28 Jun 2007 at 5:02pm
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 5:11pm
Just use the put in across the bridge and avoid the mess entirely.

The Wave Trek put in is private property regardless if it's a rafting company or not.  You wouldn't waltz across someones backyard to put in.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 5:26pm
Just one thing, Charles, that runs Auquasports, would tow your vehicle to his property, give you a boat and gear and also help you in anyway he could to make sure you had a good time! So don't involve him in this in any sort of way please! Please continue to support this great mans shop in any possible way you can, because he is a truly friendly kayaker!
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 5:31pm
The OAC and Auquasports are two separate entities!
Nomad
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 6:14pm
Yeah, I remember the good ol' PWS days.  If someone showed up with an NWOC decal on their car, we'd lock the door and flip up the closed sign.  And since the kayak club taught competing classes, when we saw someone with a WKC sticker we'd command the shop dogs to attack. 
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 7:14pm
Ah yes, the good old days, It seems like yesterday when you sold me my first boat when PWS was next to Sea Tac Jon.
Nomad
The OAC
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote The OAC Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 9:14pm
Brief intro... I've been teaching for OAC for about three years now and although I started the OAC username as a means for the business to communicate with boaters on PP I
have taken to using that username exclusively for my own posts on PP (ie please associate it with me, not the OAC).

I hate to hear that something like this happened.  I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what happened, and I'm not making excuses for anyone.  That being said there has always been very real tension for very real reasons between the owners of SRK and OAC (but fortunately not between the lower ranks) going back well before either shop existed.  It's not my tension and I'm not going to go into any details about it but it is there.  When people put their life savings and all their time into a business it is easy to get too emotional.  Again, I'm not making excuses for anything that happened. 

Ashley, you know why they're sore at this particular moment.  I think this episode is a silly manifestation of that, but be respectful of how they might feel about it.  Do your bit to smooth things over instead of stoking the flames.

It was my hope when they purchased the Index property that it would become an open access site so long as people respected it.  I don't know exactly what the current status is, but I will do my best to look into it and find out what the use guidelines are (or try to get them to come up with something solid).  The last I heard the put in could only be used by staff, groups including staff, or by special invite to avoid liability issues, trash, etc.  Unfortunate and not the way I would do it, but reasonable given the crappy way we do things in this country.  I've certainly been turned away from put ins owned by other (not local) raft companies.

Please remember that the Index Tavern is private property, a construction site, and a home.  With any luck it will someday become a public access point.

Jeff

ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 10:19pm
more

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 29 Jun 2007 at 5:17pm
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 6:44am
No Comment!!
Sure?
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 8:15am
It is an unfortuate occurance, but let's not add to it by ranting about it. You know? I agree with you Tobin.

Edited by water wacko - 29 Jun 2007 at 8:22am
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 10:33am
I say we have a kayaking party at a neutral location and unite the boating community. Oh wait, we just had Riverfest. Just because the parents are divorced doesn't mean the children can't be friends. Our kayak retailers shouldn't involve paying customers in thier rivalry.

Ancient Chinese Proverb:
You catch more files with honey than with vinegar.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 1:51pm

Scott,, why do you wanna catch flies??  are you reverting to your childhood and ripping the wings off them???

Thats kinda Sick !!!
Sure?
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 1:53pm
Oh and I still have   NO Comment!!  
 However, was " Riverfest"  the celebration that really unites the paddling community???  I didnt see any dueling keg stands there!!!  :)
Sure?
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 3:20pm
I agree, lets drink beer and rip wings off of flies! 
JDizzle
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote JDizzle Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 4:57pm

Fellow Boaters,

This is Bill Corson of Outdoor Adventures.  I am sorry this incident has caused so much reaction.  It is not true that Wave Trek-Outdoor Adventures has limited our put-in to exclude SRK customers in any way.  This incident was unfortuate but was interpeted as an SRK employee running a river trip from our put-in, after it had been made clear to her in a prior conversation that this was not going to be allowed.  I interpeted it as kind of a "in your face" action. This of course is not tolerated by most any industry standard.   My employee was informed by the SRK employee that she was going to put-in with people from SRK.  She did not ask, but used her past friendship relationship as the permission factor.  This really set me off.

I apologize for the heat that was displayed towards this situation...to all of the innocent parties involved.  I have apologized to The SRK employee...if her actions were innocent I give her my hand...even if the decision was not well thought out and inappropriate.  There is a history of tension with one of the owners of SRK, but that does not need to be aired in public and should not cause any negative effect to the boating community.

The fact is... that we have had several incidents at the Index River House that have caused us to be more careful of who walks onto the property.  We have invested our life's savings and our family to bring kayaking opportunities to the boating community in Washington.  We believe what caused this incident is all about respect and cooperation.  We have attempted to be cooperative in all endeavors. 

We ask for your cooperation in the use of the Index put-in.  Our design is to create a location that will benefit all private boaters and some limited commercial adventures.

Rules are simple:
1. Ask permission to use the property.
2. Sign a waiver form on each put-in.  ( Per our insurance policy...I don't like it either but this is 2007 in America.)
3. Respect the envirnoment and other boaters.
4. Support us when possible, so that we can continue with more opportunities.
5. Don't use our property or location for another company's advertisement without permission.   

For a closing note the OAC Center houses Aqua Sports at this time.  All of the money received from the retail sales goes to Charles not OAC.  Don't hurt Charles by being upset with me.  At times businesses compete for the same customers.  At times there are distinct differences and tensions but it is always the customer that wins out in these situations.   More competion, more discounts and sales, with competing gear.

If you have any other comments please feel free to talk to me direct. (360) 799-2474

Bill Corson
OAC
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 5:15pm
 To Bill!!!   Well put!!! 
   I am going to resind my no comment status!
 The Corsons, ie, Bill, Karen, Blair, Jared , JD, Baby Jess , and Bucky are bar none the greatest family I have ever met in my life!!  They have a stringent value base that they believe in and it has benifited many people!!  I and my son are privlelgeded to know them. The benifits  I have recieved form them are innumerable..  Thank You
   The issue as  I see it,, is not in the actions, it in the interest!  Bad JuJu happens and especially when commerce is involved. It is a competitive buisness, and knowing the effort and time Bill and his family have put into this endevore, it is a life mission for them!!
   I congradulate them on the aquisition of the River House. And thank you for allowing me to use the put in last weekend! I understand your concerns and will in the future sign any appropriate wavers.
  Knowing the family like  Ido, I can assure all that, a moment spent getting to know them is worth its weight in gold....  Enough said!!
   Just my nickles worth, I know nothing of the drama, but wish it would go away!!
   See You All On The River !!!!
Sure?
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2007 at 11:31pm
So with that said and I agree with you tobin 120%,The Corson's are incredible. I think there one of the best families I've met in a long time. I stand behind them in what there doing for not only the community of paddler's but the community of Index. I would say they're the best thing that's happened around this area in year's. I hate politics and don't care about them, I only know that they have gave up soooooooooo much for the paddling community and we should respect and try and comply with what ever they ask on there property. I was there but had  no idea of the prior interactions. I really like and respect Ashly and felt bad for her, Bill wasn't trying to put you down he was expressing himself. He defenitly has every right too. As well as we all do, thanks James for letting us do so ! This web site kicks all ass by the way!! But anyway I just wanted to say that we all are part of a comuunity and politics I.e backstabbing shit talking and general b.s alway's goes along with big investment's and competetive attitudes. I really hope this doesn't stop any one from  buying gear at certain stores But you do what cha got too do, I give my Love to the Corson's and hope this incident like any thing everything in life just makes them stronger. I'm not sure the full detail's of everything. I don't care too, I know I'll do everthing I can too help them, like I said I stand behind them, I wish everyone the best and hope too paddle with ya'll again. There are plenty of other put in's and respect get's respect. Ohh yeah I had a fun paddle with all of you ( Scott, Tristen , Larry, and of course Ashley.) that day. Lot's of fun. Keep on keeping on !!!

Edited by Chuck e fresh - 01 Jul 2007 at 11:53am
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2007 at 11:50am
YAY!!!  Glad this thing seems to be getting resolved!  And I echo Tobin and Chuck E's comments - I haven't known the Corson's that long, but in the short time I have, they have been tremendously generous, friendly, and helpful to me.  Thanks guys!

BTW, do we still get to drink beer and rip off fly wings??
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2007 at 12:35pm
Yeah! but apparently we cant do it while kayaking,,
Sure?
Post Reply Post New Topic