Professor Paddle: Finally new boat! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Finally new boat! Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: Finally new boat!
    Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 4:49pm
So, I have finally decided to buy a new boat. After many years of internal debate and looking at different types and styles of boats and boating, I've decided to go creaken! I already have a play boat (although kinda crapy), so no hurry to replace that, the next step is to be able to run creeks, other types of bigger water, explore more rivers and have more fun, be comfortable, safe and confident. I am going to demo a Burn (medium size) tonight and if I like it, will most probably pry the $1k out of my bank account and buy one this weekend. Creaken here I come, are you guys ready for Dangerous Dave? I hope so, bring your rope bags, I'm gona need em!
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 5:11pm
Dave, your not going to need us to throw rope bags, you are way solid. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 7:22pm
Right on Dave!

Why the Burn? I may be in the market for a new creeker soon and could use the feedback.

- B
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 9:05pm
People say it's a great creek boat. After today I must say that it is a great boat! I was able to surf small waves, jump into pretty good sized holes, stand it up vertical ender, and tail squirted even once, all this on the MM! It's super stable and very controlable, so I may buy this one. Only thing I didn't like was that it seemed hard to keep on a wave straight and didn't track as straight as I would like. This may be due to the fact I was a little loose in the boat and haven't trimed or figured out my weight placement yet. I guess I was trying to throw down with this boat and it's not really meant for that, but it did have some good playability for a creaker!
Nomad
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 9:13pm
Dave,
  Creekers are by their nature loose and dont track worth shit.  Some do better than others but it is an edge trade off. If ya got them ,, you might catch them??
  Check out a few other true creekers before commiting to just one.  Jump in a Habitat,, its a wave sport but a hell of a boat!  Bliss Stick makes the Mystic that has edges but isnt edgy, and at $750, its a great buy.

Sure?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 9:31pm
I really do like the Burn, it really turns like a race car, I was amazed how I could carve out tight turns in a sequence and how fast the boat was going against the current. I think I may have found the boat for my needs.
Nomad
skim
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote skim Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 10:14pm
Turns like a race car but plows like a bus.  Nuttin gets in its way.  Hmmm.  you can run itty bitty playboats into the rock wall for shits and giggles.    I wouldn't want to be the sucker who felt the wrath of the burn.  
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 11:04pm
I'll echo Tobin.  You should check out some other boats especially one with a displacement hull.  It is much different than a planing hull that a burn has and is more of a traditional creeker design.

I use a Huka, it doesn't track well at all but boofs great and always has a soft landing.  I did try the burn on the MM after house rocks. and I was totally impressed but there weren't any ledges or holes to really try it out on.  There is the benefit of coming from a playboat and not having to get used to a displacement hull though.

Jefe's are real popular but seem to break easily.  I'm curious about the Habitat and Mystic myself.  I'll probably pick up a new creeker next year and will try those out before making a purchase. 
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 11:05pm

i would be more concerned with how it resurfaces. tracks and boofs, not necessarily how it squirts and enders (which is usually to be avoided in creeks).  my $0.02

ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 8:42am
I did boof as much as possible and did bury it into the biggest holes I could find on the MM, and it pops up very quickly, also landings are very smooth and predictable on the 3 to 4 foot boofs I did. It is very smooth on landings, actually I was surprised how smothly it did land. Also when I slammed Sampson into a wall sideways it really held it's stabilty and resisted the tendency to tilt on the upstream edge, using him as a bumper I was able to smoothly pop off the wall and continue on my way with no worries. Hmmm, I wonder how he did? When I dumped sideways into pourovers it really maintained a level stance and I had no problems flat spinning out of the holes, this is what I really liked about the Burn, it was like autopilot in a hole. I really would like to get a boat by Monday so I can do FITW, and so far I like what I see in this one.
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 8:52am
You should really try out a few more boats on ... well lets say more creeky stuff... Not to say that Sampson's Deck is not a great starting place... but really dave, a hole on the MM?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 8:54am
Also about displacement hulls. I boated 12 years with a displacement hull, and have no wish to go back. Planeing hulls in my opinion are faster and more controlable, they also come out of big holes easier than the old bathtub style hull. I know for big drops and waterfalls they may land smoother, but I really think the trade off isn't worth it. It's like comparing a F-15 to a Cesena. Besides, the Burn is kinda inbetween those two hull designs, mixing the best of both worlds. (Of course I may not know what I'm talking about.)
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:28am
Here's a review from an Independant Creaker guy Named Chris from a website called Playak.com http://playak.com/article.php?sid=1235

'll confess to being quite nervous taking the Burn off of bigger drops; I've come away from too-hard, too-flat landings sore before and in rounder boats. I figured that the flatness of the hull would make a bigger difference than it ended up doing, but this turns out to be less a factor than the hardness of the water in your landing zone - green water hurts, and the white fluffy aerated kind will swallow you up, flat hull or not. Everything worked out, despite my worst blunders. It turns out that the Burn can, indeed, be made to plug deeply (it resurfaces like a rocket) and when you go over the bars from really high up, even the best of skirts will implode.

I'm going Burn.......
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:34am
It's funny the guy reviewing the boat said the same things I said about it and I didn't start reading reviews until today!
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:42am
Uh that would be Chris Joose and sure I bet he's spot on... he even lives here in seattle too!

Its a great boat, but how will you know if it is the best boat for you if thats all you try. There are different boats for everyone dude, you gotta try before you can claim to know the feeling between them all. Maybe concept but feeling is a whole different thing.

Go buy your burn buddy.

J
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:57am
Habitat=It's bulbous enough that if you do catch a sticky hole, getting out may require both skill and luck
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 10:07am
Mystic= seems to be built like a tank…..and it weighs about as much!
So far I can't find anything bad said about the Burn, but plenty bad said about the other boats mentioned. So, why waist my time trying out the others, when I got lucky enough to try out the best first!

Edited by dave - 15 Jun 2007 at 10:09am
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 4:24pm
I did it, I got my Burn and it looks good in my living room. It will even look better on the river with me in it!
Nomad
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 5:04pm
 See you on the river soon Dave.
... preparing for a river beating!     
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 11:46am
Where'd you buy it? 

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 17 Jun 2007 at 11:47am
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 12:13pm

My girlfriend just bought a burn, and she loves it.  I bought a huka and it works fine, but I am jealous of the burn.  Enjoy your new boat and don't let anybody tell you different, you are the one that has to live with it.

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 8:13pm
I bought it at Auquasports from Charles. He's a great guy, gives great deals and the most gear selection in the area, you just can't beat Auquasports!
Nomad
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 8:22pm
Speaking of new boats, Josh picked up an 07 4 fun last night.
workskipper
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler
Chief Wampum

Quote workskipper Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 9:36pm
Me likeum new dugout made from whiteman wood!
I would never dream of skipping work to boat!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 10:00pm
Just one more thing, they are also the only store that has been willing to support our community by doing a link exchange. They rock and want to give us good deals...

Nomad
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version