Professor Paddle: Eagle Falls Solo Mission vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Eagle Falls Solo Mission Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Topic: Eagle Falls Solo Mission
    Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 11:34am
So I'm driving home from Leavenworth Sunday evening and not far ahead of me a major accident completely stopped traffic both ways on highway 2.  It just so happened that I was stopped literally right in front of Eagle Falls.  Kinda weird I thought to myself, "what does this mean?  Was I meant to run Eagle Falls by myself today?  Nah, it's way too high, don't even think about you moron...."  After sitting in dead stopped traffic for 20 minutes while listening to Eagle Falls raging beneath the highway I couldn't resist, I had to run it.  So I pull over and gear up real quick and realize everybody on the highway is getting out to watch me and started getting scared.  Whatever, I sack up, put in, run it and get my ass handed to me in a hole at the bottom of the rapid, scared the shit out of me....stayed in my boat though..  So traffic starts moving and I'm hiking back to my car and a professional photographer comes up to me and asks me if I'll run it again so he can get some shots. I agreed... Hiked up and ran it again and went upside down twice and got stuck in some weird whirlpool for while but it all worked out. Notice the 19 year old kid I gave a throw bag to, WOW, I'm sure that would have helped!
 Anyhooters, I thought I would try to tell the story so everyone knows how big a dumbass I am while their looking at these pictures, or maybe everyone will think I'm cool... Either way it was damn fun!

The Skykomish river was at 12,000cfs that day, the Photographers name is Blake Siebe and his site is www.bsiebe.com    Check out the pictures under Eagle Falls, some of them are really good..
Masturbating Monkey
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 11:43am
Nice!  Gotta love those random 19yr old strangers nice enough to set "safety".   
... preparing for a river beating!     
xanthopb
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Can Fangula the Greek!

Quote xanthopb Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 11:44am

Nice work Jake.  The 19 year old throw bagger looked like a pro.

-Brad
O-Qua Tangin Wann
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 11:55am
Yea for sure bro ... Good work .
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 12:49pm
Huge cajones, Caron! Nice job making lemonaide out of stopped traffic lemons.
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 1:26pm
It's a pretty rare event when you can park n' huck in a traffic jam.  Nice work. 
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 3:21pm
*shiver* 
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 3:34pm

Jake - I'm just wishing you had given the kid the video camera instead of that silly throwbag.  whats up with that?!  u es loco mutho fo

Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 3:49pm
Yeah that looked burley. he should of had a camera from where he was standing.
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 5:46pm
Nice one, Jake!
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 7:09pm
I thought about giving that kid my camera but decided against it, to much money to put in a strangers hands.. Especially a 19 year old that looked like smokin weed was his main hobby.  we'll go back with the video camera's, who's in??
Masturbating Monkey
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 1:13am
No offense intended dude, but although ballsy, running Eagle Falls solo without good (any) real support is pretty stupid.  I'm glad you made it alright, and that we can all have a laugh about your throw bagger who doesn't know what's going on, but this is what whitewater accidents are made of.

I'm reading a book right now about what makes accidents happen in outdoor recreation.  The three factors that are common to most accidents are judgment (usually bad), actions (doing the wrong things, usually as the results of bad judgments), and conditions (normally unfavorable or pressuring for time, fame, ect...). 

I found this report interesting Re:  people running Eagle Falls to impress their friends on video:  http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Accident/detail/accidentid/47/

Boat safe.  Boat smart.
JHB
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 5:36am
Well said, Jonathan.

I'm a Libertarian and in general I think that as long as people take responsibility for the outcome of their decisions and don't effect others, they should be able to do whatever they want with their lives.  Ride a motorcycle w/o helmet, huck falls, do crystal meth, watch Oprah, etc. etc. 

Let me say it again, I am the last person that wants to stop someone from pursuing what they think is their passion and I'll defend their rights for individual liberty (again as long as it doesn't hurt others).

And, I don't want this thread to devolve into talking about how society would be forced to pay for the attempted rescue on failure, etc.  Even though it probably isn't true, let's assume that somehow that really wasn't an issue here.

Now then, at the risk of being ostracized by all the real adrenaline junkies, when I was reading this thread (and the thread about the solo free climber), I couldn't help wondering what the comments would have been on the thread if the guy had died or was seriously injured in the attempt.  Bad decisions often lead to good outcomes which leads to more bad decisions.  Until your luck runs out.

Edited by arnobarno - 06 Jun 2007 at 5:46am
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 6:22am
luck is only a fraction of the equation ...
for some its more, others less. 

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 6:23am
and i'm bout positive Jake aint' lucky,
just motivated.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 6:24am
with a
killer roll
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 8:36am
I am sure both Jake and the guy in the other video are super skilled at doing what they are doing.  Amazing boaters and amazing climbers.  More skilled than I or most mere mortals will ever be.

But, still, I have to think that doing these activities without any safety increases risk substantially.  Maybe it increases the thrill substantially also.  So, that is cool.  It is their lives and, like I said before, as long as no one else is hurt, they should go for it.

But, for the equation oriented:
if good.decision -> bad.outcome then  tragedy
if bad.decision -> bad.outcome then darwin.award

And, to my original question, if the end result was terrible (death or serious injury) what would people be saying on this forum??

Edited by arnobarno - 06 Jun 2007 at 8:39am
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 8:40am
SICK!  I haven't seen any video, but props for running the falls!  I've been eyeing it up and wanting to run it, but not without a creeker.  My Pyrannah would just get too worked there.  Any beta?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:12am

Life's a risk.  Some are better at tolerating more than others. 

Two quick points based on Arn's comments:

1.  Lost/Injured hikers are responsible for most SAR time and effort.

2.  While it may look reckless, what Dave did was very calculated.  He likely knew every single move on that route, knew there were no loose blocks, etc. 
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:16am
And, just to be absolutely clear, by "luck" what I am talking about isn't comparing luck vs. skill but more "dumb bad luck" as in a simple misstep while climbing; or a loose rock; or being off a couple of inches on your line and hitting that "hidden danger" while kayaking.

In general, people are very bad about assessing risk.  Perhaps a simple way of asking the question on running Eagle Falls on peak spring run-off day w/o any safety or climbing a particular peak w/o ropes is to ask, "If I did this 100x, how many times would I be successful - i.e. without death or serious injury?" 

If that answer isn't 100, then in my book, one successful outcome = luck in the sense that you avoided the "dumb bad luck" scenario.  It is not making a statement about the absence of skill rather it is making a statement about an inability to properly assess risk.

Edited by arnobarno - 06 Jun 2007 at 9:17am
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:36am
Awww... what's the big deal. It looked basically washed out at this level. Read and run 4-.

jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:36am

arno, get off the high horse about bad decision making...isn't there another thread going on right now about you guys getting fucked up on the foss for making a bad decision and not properly assess the risk involved in running a higher class river at a higher than should be flow? 

ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:48am
Dave has climbed that route hundreds of times, many of them solo.  It is class II for him.  I will not judge his decision, it was his. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:55am
Well, I was going to keep my mouth shut on this one. I usually feel like I am the only one who is telling people "that was stupid" instead of "wow you ran the gnar gnar!"

But Blum is right. If you were going to do that, why not wait and set real safety with a real group? The river is not going anywhere. There is no reason to throw yourself into something like that.

In case some of you have forgotten, people die in this sport.

Edited by kayaktheworld - 06 Jun 2007 at 10:02am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:18am
This is a fascinating and revealing discussion.  I'm not on a high horse and do not appreciate the personal attack, Jon.

If you'll recall, I'm the first to say that I made a bad decision.  Also, I am not judging his decision and I am the last person to stop him from making it.  Like I said, his life, his decision.

All, I am talking about is risk and a thought exercise to consider.  If you are willing to take that 1 in 100 chance on a certain day that you will die or be seriously injured it means one of three things:
1) You really aren't taking a 1% risk (that is, the actual risk is much lower).
2) Or you aren't doing it very often.
3) Or you are dead man walking.

Just to put it in perspective, you have roughly a 1% LIFETIME risk of dying in a car crash.  Roughly 50% of the people that take a 1% single event risk would die or be seriously injured if they took this type of risk 50x.

Again, I'll ask the question, if the end result of this was death or serious injury, what would the comments on the board be??

Edited by arnobarno - 06 Jun 2007 at 10:53am
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version