Professor Paddle: Granite Creek vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Granite Creek Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2007 at 1:39pm
So a if a giant beaver went in and did some work.............
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2007 at 4:05pm
GIANT BEAVER
... preparing for a river beating!     
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
mike
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mike Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2007 at 4:31pm
We did you guys hike off? Sounds like a fun run with its fair share of wood right now.
Rock
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Rock Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2007 at 11:07pm
This run is great and highly recommend it. Just be careful of the V+ drop, it's right after IV read-and-run.

Also, Trad's: do I get no love? Did you get that video of the first drop?
-Erik
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2007 at 12:27pm
I'll post it Erik, I just need to edit it down or it will be too big to post,, you spent a long time thinking about things in the pool above the drop. 
JD G
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JD G Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2007 at 10:30am
How many wood portages in the part of the Upper stretch you guys did?
Flows are looking to be good for it this weekend, so was looking for specifics on the wood situation.  Thanks.
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2007 at 11:25am

My guess, expect 2 per mile but I can't speak for the lower half of the run.

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2007 at 9:02pm
Just got back from a run on the lower Granite/Ruby run...and at 7000+ on the Methow gage, it was smokin. I guesstimate we had about 800 cfs on Granite and 1500 cfs below the confluence on the Ruby River. There was definitely some wood worth mentioning in there.  On granite, there were a few spots with logs that were pretty easy to spot and avoid, and 2 spots of interest... about a mile into the run there is a section where you can the road up above from the river for a long stretch and then the creek goes through a rapid between rock cliffs. There is a small eddy here and then a riverwide log just downstream. You can duck under the log on the far left side.... however the water is pushing out towards the right and middle, so you want to make sure you get to the left as soon as possible. The next major hazard is an ugly double log jam. It's about 1/4 mile upstream from the confluence with Canyon Ck. You can take out on the left and portage. We carried up to the road here and walked around since the portage at river level looked like a pain. There is a turn out here so it is easy to check it out from the road...oh and same for the other log I mentioned. We found both of these by road scouting.

My boating partners told me there was a riverwide log on Ruby about 2-2/5 miles past the confluence... I did not see it, as I had an extended out of boat experience  after an unintentional rodeo session on a huge nearly riverwide hole... My buds chased my boat down for me and I hoofed down the road a ways to catch up to them. From what I hear, they went over that log. Maybe one of them can reply here.

All in all it was a very fun day, with plenty of water.

Oh, and we went up and had a peek at the big double drop on the upper run.... that thing looked heinous. The hydraulics looked evil... even from a 1/4 mile away.
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2007 at 9:19am
Sounds sick.
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
mike
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mike Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2007 at 9:34am

I was on the river Saturday with Joe and we had planned on running the upper section but the flows went up to 7300 on the Methow throughout the week and turned what sounded like a low flow the weekend before to a pretty full on ride this weekend. The upper looked doable at that level but you would want to know exactly whats coming and where to run it (or portage it).  The V+ looked pretty sick at that flow.  SInce none of us had ran anything on Granite Creek we decided to run the lower which also turned out to be moving rather quickly and after putting on we were glad we didn't try the upper at that flow. What an awesome section of river though and I highly recomend the lower at that flow!   Get it while its good.

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2007 at 8:35am
I just signed on to be Streamkeeper for the lower Grantie/Ruby run on AW with the intention of fleshing out the description with more info. I have run this run at low and high water, but certainly am not the biggest expert on this run out there. So... if there is anyone out there that runs this fairly often, I'd love to get your input.

So far I have made one change... and that was adding a link to the Methow gage for the recomended range. I put 3000-6000 as the range. I know you can run this higher and lower, but I thought this was a nice "middle range".
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2007 at 10:05am

Right on, it's great of you to sign up as streamkeeper! Are you planning any trips soon? I'd love to hit the class IV section at this flow. The class V section is above my paygrade, but I'd be willing to scuttle along the bank with a camera. How about Sunday?

- B
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2007 at 10:11am
Jesterama!!
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2007 at 11:29am
I'll be elsewhere this weekend. If you go prepare for some very continuous, crankin' whitewater at this flow. It was really moving at 7300 on the Methow, and it's over 9000 now.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2007 at 4:12pm
I drove over N. Cascades Hwy yesterday... lots of snow up there (like 3 feet at Wash. Pass and 1-2 feet at Rainy pass) so hopefully we'll have a nice long season on Granite and Ruby. The flow looked a good medium flow... a bit lower than when we ran it a couple weeks ago... but I'd just assume run it lower than we did last time... what a fast river! 
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version