Professor Paddle: LASIK Recommendations? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: LASIK Recommendations? Post Reply Post New Topic
mcolgin
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mcolgin Replybullet Topic: LASIK Recommendations?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 5:09pm
Yo. I'm tired of my eyes getting flooded with water and the ole contact floating around. I want Lasik (the one with no-blade laser "flap" cutter).

Anyone on the group have it done and have a recommendation?

I've talked to "Bellevue Lasik", but I like giving my money to businesses within the city limits. Plus it's enough money, it's worth shopping around.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 5:36pm
My brother in law had his Surgery done in B.C. I guess It was alot cheaper up there. He was happy. Not sure if he got the full flap cutter deal though.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 9:20pm

I went to Brian McKillop in Seattle - I think he works for Eye Associates.  Came recommended by another opthomalogist outside of the area.  Did a good job for me and I note that he was listed topdoctor in Seattle Magazine for whatever that is worth.  Glad I did it - got sick of messing with my contact on the river.

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
ascendescend
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ascendescend Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 1:37pm
My fiance had hers done at Lomas in Renton.  That was last year and she got the metal blade scraper thingy, her vision is now better than 2020.  She is stoked. Lomas  does not use metal scraper thingy anymore, it has been replaced with the laserbeam flap cutter(more precise/less rate of infection), however the cost of hers was $3200 as opposed to the newer technique, which I was quoted at $4200.  They wouldnt do my eyes after all since my pupils are too big, but I was glad they were straight with me about that. I don't know if other doctors would just bank my check, send me through, and call it close enough???  Another interesting thing is my insurance (VSP) would have coughed up about $1400 towards the cost of the procedure if I were able to get it done.  They are one of the few insurers that chip in on this, so if you have VSP you are in luck...
E
mcolgin
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mcolgin Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 5:20pm
Awesome info. Thanks guys!

I've been doing crazy web-searches based on these recommendations and can't wait to get it done!

In case anyone else is thinking about it, IntraLase (TM) is the company that developed the laser-based alternative to Microkeratome (the Razor Blade that cuts your eye-flap). There's not a lot of DR's which have bought this equipment yet, but the benefits are reduced risk of infection and the ability to deal with more cornea shapes/thickness. The trade off is a chance of light-sensitivity (steroid eye drops are prescribed), in exchange for about $1000 more *per-eye*.

I'm ready to pull the trigger, just need to do more "due diligence" to get that price down from (the only one I've confirmed prices so far) of $3000/eye using all the latest stuff (ouch).

I'll post back the best deal I find, in case anyone is hoping to get it too.

Happy boating this weekend!
Adrian
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Adrian Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 7:12pm
Thanks for posting as I've been thinking about getting Lasik too. Lots of good info posted here.

Cheers
Adrian
Adrian (20six) 34nine 6two51
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2007 at 3:54pm
Remember, going for the low price is not a good idea when someone is blasting a "laser" in your eye...
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2007 at 10:25am

My friend had it done in Seattle and she raves about it, I'd say as long as you don't go to the U-dub or k-mart you'll be good ta go.I agree w/ lief though three easy payment's of 19.95 might not be your best bet. Hopefully you got good insurance!!!

There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version