Professor Paddle: Lochsa Weekend Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Lochsa Weekend Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 9:14pm
Too early to tell... most likely not at this point.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 9:18pm
You've got something better to do than hang out with Tom and I?  :-)
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 9:22pm
no its not that broski... joel just aint up to it.... hehehe j/k

I am really trying to get fires cookin at my work and the market ain't too hot right now. So I might be working through the week and weekend next.

~J
Sven
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Sven Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 10:11pm
hey one more question.... where do we sleep? are we camping? cuz that would be an important thing to know....xD cuz i have to organize a tent.... and who much does it cost? like the place where we stay and gasmoney....

ttyl folks
I'm the new german guy and a friend of Benno
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 9:19am
We are camping, and I have an old tent you can use.  Man alive Sven, am I going to have to roll for you too?

Seriously though Sven, I should have asked earlier, but how much experience do you have?  What rivers, classes, how long have you been paddling, etc?  The Lochsa is not super hard, but the water is very cold and the rapids are continuous enough that a swim at some levels could be very long.  I just want to be on the safe side.

Camping will be free or pretty cheap depending on where we stay.  As for gas, just pitch in what you can afford, anything will help.   

Edited by tradguy2 - 23 Apr 2007 at 9:21am
... preparing for a river beating!     
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 9:21am
Ok Tom - now that you are back - what day/time are we leaving/returning?
Sven
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Sven Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 10:05am
hey tom

Im kayaking since 2000 so that would be bout 7 years now. I started with whitewater about 5 or 6 years ago so I have some experience. Mostly on class III rivers but we started to go on IV's 2 years ago so I have not that much experience with IV's. one of the reasons was that I couldn't roll till 2 years ago but now my roll is.... let's say okay. I can't really tell because I only had to rolle 4 times in whitewater and 2 of them in easy water cuz i started surfing and stuff....xD but I could roll all times easyly at the first try. I am not sure how it is in rivers with a lot of water because we don't have them in Germany.... but if everyone is affrait to take me to those river I'll never learn.
And how I said I kayaked 3 years without knowing how to roll but I don't have that much experience with (whitewater) swimming.... if you know what i mean....
oh yeah and I like to push my limits but I know when it is too much for me! So if I realise that it is to hard for me I'm not goin on anymore I just take the boat out and wait for you guys! this way you don't have to worry about me....

tho its still up to you if you'd take me! But I really want to try a river like that! cuz as i said we don't have much of those in Europe.

peace.

If the text above doesn't make much sence to you just ask. I'm used to it....

Edited by Sven - 23 Apr 2007 at 10:08am
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 10:55am
Leif  -   I'm plannig on leaving work around 2pm, picking up Gloria from work in Seattle around 3 and heading out from there.

Sven, I ust admit thatI am a little nervous about taking you.  As you can see from the chart below, there are 20 rapids in 9 miles.  All of them are class III- to IV.  The rapids are not  very technical but the river is very intimidating.  The pictures on the AW site do not do the river justice. Is there any way you can come paddle some evening this week on something easy?  It would be really useful to be able to get used to being on the water again before trying the Lochsa. 

Mile Rapid Name Class Features (Legend)
111.0 Surprize Rapid
111.5 Split Creek Takeout
111.7 Split Creek Rapid
112.8 Termination Rapid
113.3 Old Man Rapid
113.6 Pipeline Rapid
114.2 Lochsa Falls
114.4 Prelude Rapid
114.6 Horsetail Rapid
115.1 Jones's Wave Rapid
115.3 Shoestring Falls Rapid
115.6 Cliffside Rapid
116.0 Grim Reaper Rapid
116.6 Bloody Mary Rapid
117.0 House Wave Rapid
117.7 Morning Glory Rapid
118.1 Otter Slide Rapid
119.1 Killer Fang Rapid
119.8 Sandy Beach Rapid
120.1 Fish Creek Rapid
120.3 Fish Creek Put In
top pin
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote top pin Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 12:36pm
Heres a little trip report for you guys.. At the flow this felt alot like Middle White Salmon to me at around 4ft, with maybe just a few bigger waves/drops in there. Fun flow, though little play at this level, theres some but not like when its higher  water 3 to 5' on the bridge gauge..

You want a solid combat roll on here. Though its forgiving I'd not want to swim any of these drops, and the water is cold, snowmelt fun off.  It is roadside though and you can scout and walk all the drops. Plus it leads up as starting easy and ending with a bang. FUN FUN, might see you guys saturday, fun times to be had..

Fish Creek was low, maybe with the warm weather this week it could be up and running well. Seemed real  bony to me but I've never run it either..

Ran Lochsa yesterday at what I would call a low flow. Didnt have any rock scraping issues as it definetly had enough water for all the drops. The lines sure were different though then when it has a couple more feet.

Ran from Fish Creek to Pipeline. Some fun monster waves in mid rapids, Grim Reaper being the most technical as having to punch a funky diagonal on the lead in then hang of for some big wave 6'+..

First time I've run this section as a lead boater and having to watch for holes, read the lines etc. No flips in any of the drops first for me, though a couple trying to play on some surf waves.

Overall a fun day, and I'll be headed back up again. Even at the low, there was some great rapids in there. Lots of Missoula boaters on the river, finding a shuttle at the take out was no problem thanks to them guys..

Cannot wait for memorial day, and a little more water but its coming next, this week high 60's should bring it up some.

tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 1:14pm
Thanks for the info.  It has been a few years so my memory is a bit fuzzy but I remember that lateral on Grim Reaper, it is hard to forget.  Hope top see you there. 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 1:14pm
Well reading the beta from others and now your report, I am a little bummed about the timing of this trip Trad.

It looks like Pipeline the feature to behold will not be held this weekend. Correct me if I am wrong but Pipeline needs like 4ft or higher to start getting good right?

Do you think there will be any destination play out there this weekend Top?
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 1:41pm

I've paddled in the Lochsa area a decent amount and don't know of any "destination play" right now.  Personally, I would want at least 5k on the gauge to make it worth it. 

The creeking around there is tits (Lolo Creek, etc..), but those are still too low and who knows how much they'll run with their terrible snowpack.

Sven, it's probably a crap shoot whether you would do ok or be an extreme burden on your group.   I've never done it this low, but at normal flows there are some monster holes you want to avoid so being able to paddle in control in class III/IV water when needed is a good skill to have.
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 1:41pm
The NOAA forecast is peridcting flows will hit 4 ft by the weekend.  Also, all day wave should be in. 
top pin
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote top pin Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by PowWrangler

.....................the creeking around there is tits (Lolo Creek, etc..), but those are still too low and who knows how much they'll run with their terrible snowpack.

Sven, it's probably a crap shoot whether you would do ok or be an extreme burden on your group.   I've never done it this low, but at normal flows there are some monster holes you want to avoid so being able to paddle in control in class III/IV water when needed is a good skill to have.

Lolo is in right now running well at around 10' and its the bomb from what I hear. Thats just a step up from the level I'm comfortable with because that baby  is remote.. 2000' canyon... I know its been run some in the last couple weekends.

Bring your creekers the missoula boys were running the south fork of the clearwater at med/lo flows and from what I hear those are awesome runs about 1 hour southish of Lochsa. Golden Canyon section cl V     micky mouse cl IV all roadside.  See awa.

Play spots would be Riggins area salmon river about 2 hours/100 miles or so south and there is almost always something in there. Depending of flow 12,000cfs is rocking for rodeo hole, and theres goulds hole and couch wave all flow dependant. I'm no expert as I've only been on cats paw wave under 10k i believe and rodeo at 12k where I watched the good guys doing front loops. I'm no expert on surf spots as I usually run rivers and try to catch a wave to front surf..

I dont know where all day wave is on the lochsa, I saw no one surfing in our run down it but we had a late start. I only saw one wave with good eddy service that I thought was surfable and I tried 2 and failed so I just kept floating downriver but I'm no surfer either, I'm happy to just front surf in my i3..

If Gran Rhonde (OR.)  flows pick up to above 7k to 10k I have directions to a killer play wave 45 minutes south of Clarkston/Lewiston. .
Suppose to get warm this week so everything is going to rise up not sure about that one though.

I dont know when Pipeline comes in, it was a big green pipeline when I was on at 6' last year, yesterday it was a munchy hole that was surfable I believe but would have been tough I did not see anyone surfing there.

Memorial day weekend is usually the destination time for Lochsa, PDX brings 50 boaters over here and its crazy fun on the river..and the river is usually just peaking about then or just coming down..

Theres fun stuff but its also 7 hours so I'm not going to make the call for you guys.. Weather is supposed to be in the 60+ though.. Id be using the town of kamiah for your weather reports, Elk city is a different breed of weather patterns there..

Have fun, hoping to boat with ya..

Chris
Lewiston, ID.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 3:10pm
Awesome details Top... I will have to take a looksie at the schedule for memorial day. If I don't make it on this coming weekend, I definitly will try to make it then.

J
Sven
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Sven Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 3:34pm
hey tom
yeah I think im not goin then. If you are not comftible with me goin on the trip its better if im not goin!
I'll go another time like memorial day. so if anyone could take me on memorial day that would be awesome that way I have more time to get used to being in a boat....

could I still get your GT  and the paddle for the weekend? Cuz it would be a lot easyer to find people to go on a river if you already have a boat....

peace!

tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 5:26pm

Thanks for all the beta. I'm going reguardless of flows this weekend because I will not be able to go Memorial Day.  Sven, I'd really prefer it if you could make it out sometime this week.  Can you get out Wednesday or Thursday? Also, I'll still let you use my boat Memorial Day. 

RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 5:33pm
So, there have been quite a few "maybes", so, who all is going, and how are we going to carpool?  I should be able to get 4 playboats and supplies in my rig, even though the rack isn't on yet, and I am unclear if we have enough interest in this trip to warrant two vehicles in our convoy...

Thoughts?
Sven
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Sven Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 5:37pm
Thanks dude!

do you mean goin on a river on wed/thurs or picking up the boat? cuz i donno if i can make it on a river and it's cool with me if you guys go without me. this way i'm here for my friends b-day party on friday.....xD

but could I still get your boat and paddle or the weekend that you're not here or do you need the paddle as an extraone in case one brakes or somethin? i mean i might be able to get a paddle form my friend.... if i could get the gt that would be awesome cuz this way i could get used to it and go on a river or at least on a lake with a couple of friends..... I mean it's sunny out tho we'll go to the lake anyways.....

Edited by Sven - 23 Apr 2007 at 5:38pm
oopsiflipped
Paddler
Paddler

Quote oopsiflipped Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 9:04pm

Not to poop on your party, but it probably isn't worth the drive at the current level.  That being said the forecast looks like good weather.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 9:20pm
Nice call Oops... Thanks for the heads up. I think I am leaning towards one last local weekend before I begin my spring and summer splurge.

I really wanna hit the Lochsa but not at sub par flows, just like the wenatchee... that would suck to drive 7-8 hours to get to there and find no play.

Originally posted by leifkirchoff

So, there have been quite a few "maybes", so, who all is going

Maybe you should use the dang trip planner leif.... look at the list... sven pulled out... looks like you and tom.
top pin
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote top pin Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 9:44pm
I had to go back and read some reports of flows and pipeline.

I believe your going to want flows in the 6k range for pipeline to be epic, but from boating with a friend that boated in seattle for a couple years and him talking of the what little play you have over there I believe you could find something to play on if flows get close to 5k. He was comparing a little play wave we have on a local run that doesnt break etc but he said in the Seattle area this would have 2 or 3 boats in the eddy on weekends. So comparing that I'd say theres something going on better then that somewhere on that river. 

Memorial day can be epic like this... Lochsa falls at 6 feet on the Lowell bridge gauge.. 10k or so I 'm not sure of cfs.. Feet on the bridge is what most use not the internet gauge that is several feet off....

http://myweb.cableone.net/cueist1/VIDEO/LochsaFalls.mov

Lochsa looked nowwhere near that yesterday.. all that stuff on river left was uncovered..plus on the lead in theres a boulder sticking 2 feet out of the water about where I start to point my boat to river left. Completely different river.

And like I said Salmon 2 hours south will have epic play spots in right now.. If it makes it above 12k you guys would love rodeo hole.

Its a fun river either way. But I know that drive all to well..

Chris
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 10:44pm

After a little research I realize that all the locals use the gauge on the bridge which does not correspond to the one on the NOAA site.  The flows are listed at the bottom of this page: http://nt1.adventuresports.com/aso/ASAPshowpage.asp?Client=Marty  by the people at the 3 rivers resort.  It is pretty low now (under 3 feet)) and I think I want over 4 for this trip.  Lets watch the levels and make a call later in the week. 

top pin
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote top pin Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 11:00pm
THis works too...

Thanks AWA and someone..../

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Photo/detail/photoid/13210/

tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2007 at 2:02pm
The river has come up almost 1000cfs, I doubt it will come up enough to be worthwhile by the weekend but I'll maske a final decision tomorrow. 
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version