Professor Paddle: Sunday Stilly Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Sunday Stilly Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
Sunday Stilly (Trip Quick View)
Find out more details by Viewing the Trip Page
Stillaguamish, S. Fork  (2 - Mallardy Creek to Verlot (Middle))   Class III+   Min 5.5 ft    |    Max 8 ft   Current 4.56 ft (Reported on 04-19-2024 18:15:00)
Trip Leader : Texas Dave
Contact # : 360-691-1594
Meeting Time : 3/18/2007 10:30:00 AM
Meeting Place : Verlot Ranger Station
Paddlers Paddling
arnobarno , deborah , Otter Boy , Adrian , Wiggins , midnightgirl87 , crisabyss
Page  of 2 Next >>
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Topic: Sunday Stilly Discussion Thread
    Posted: 15 Mar 2007 at 7:01pm

This is the Sunday Stilly discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the Sunday Stilly | Trip Page

I'm wanting to make a run down the Stilly on Sunday if the levels hold above about 5.5 feet.  Meet at 10:30 Across the highway from the Verlot Ranger Station.  Backup if the Stilly drops out is a run down the Sauk.  Anyone else interested?

Dave

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2007 at 3:43pm
Sounds like fun, Dave.  Been wanting to try this run with the local expert!
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
deborah
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel
Cookie Fairy

Quote deborah Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2007 at 3:47pm
I'm in for the Stilly.  Arn and I ran the Sauk at 4000 cfs.  We'd go again up to 5500, but don't want to push it beyond that for the next run.  I have demons to exorcise on Whirlpool  (the demon that smacked my lower jaw).

So, if level on Stilly is too low, we'll call you Sunday morning.
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2007 at 7:05pm
I'm in. I've only run the Stilli at low flows, so 6ft looks like a hoot!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 7:25am
Trip is a go!!! 

This should be Fun - No need to be worried about low water today

SYOTR
Dave
Dave
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 7:30pm
What is the Stilly like? Sounds like class III fun?
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 7:43pm
Anyone posting a trip report?
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 8:35pm
I think that "Bigger than expected" about sums up the day.    I think the Stilly averaged about 7.5 feet while we were on it and Wiley Creek Rapid and the rapid below it were both pretty hairy.  Wiley creek is just big and "above 6 feet ...approaches class IV" per the AW description might be a little understated.  We had one swimmer here and I'll let them step up and identify themselves if they choose.  But we gathered up bodies boats and gear and pushed on.

The next rapid took us by surprise.  It was a slalom course through massive holes that somehow formed everywhere.  I found one hole and luckily flushed and rolled.  I think Deborah also had a roll here, and again, we had a swimmer. 

Other notable occurances - Bryon decided to play in a massive hole for a little while.  Shaunna had her first boating experience with Kyle in an Inflatable (I'm pretty sure they are still together ) .  As we were portaging a log jam near the takeout, the cliff wall on the other side of the river kept giving way in massive pieces.  Very impressive to watch. 

Dinner at a mexican place in Granite Falls capped off the afternoon. 

Great run everyone and hopefully I didn't get anyone in too far over their heads.  Hopefully we can get back out there at around 6 feet and play the river a little more.

Later

Dave
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 9:43pm
I've dropped into the center right hole at the top of wiley creek at about 7 or so feet, and I didn't think I would get out. Ever. It can be a very big hole. I finally got out, and got slammed by the one below it.

Respect the murky stilly. It wants to eat you.

-Dylan
Adrian
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Adrian Replybullet Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 11:59pm
I swam twice today - self rescued both times so no bootie 

I just started paddling a jackson 4fun yesterday and was having trouble staying in the boat when I was upside down and getting thrashed. Both times I slipped out the thigh brace and then came out my boat. Did not even have to pull the spray skirt.
Need to dial in the outfitting a bit more and consider getting a stronger spray skirt.

Adrian (20six) 34nine 6two51
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 8:27am
Just to add a little more detail about yesterday's run on the Middle SF Stilly....

We put in at Boardman Creek - about river mile 53.5 on the old USGS maps.  There is a bridge across Mountain Loop Highway (MLH) here and a good pullout on the right hand side.  There is a trail down to Boardman Creek from this pull out and the creek joins the SF Stilly immediately after the bridge.

Most of the river at 7.5 feet consists of class II and class III boogie water and some flat sections.  The exception to this is the seemingly endless Wiley Creek rapid.  The lead-in to Wiley Creek is some harder class III water that eventually leads to a large eddy pool on river left in a river bend just as the river gets close to MLH again.  When you are here, you are coming to the crux of Wiley Creek rapid (or so we thought) - the part you can scout easily from the road.  All of us searched for the glassy (HAHA) tongue that was left-center while trying to avoid the seam that was left-center as well as the monster hole that ate Dylan on river right.  The river at 7.5 feet was big and pushy and, frankly, I'm more a little surprised that most of us survived upright through this rapid - especially me.

Reaching the bottom of Wiley Creek rapid, we all breathed a sigh of relief as our fearless leader assured us that the river would be a little calmer after this.  Yeah, right.  The next section, IMHO, was the even harder than the so-called crux move of Wiley Creek rapid.  As Dave stated above, it was a slalom course of huge holes.  Last night, I must have heard at least 25 times about the hole that literally ate Adrian.  Deborah said she was following him and then he was gone - swallowed by the river.  This was terrifying to her as she was on his line and expecting the exact same fate (and, worried about Adrian - probably in that order).  She was able to correct her course a little but still flipped though managed to roll.

Reaching the bottom of the rapid below Wiley Creek, we didn't breathe another sigh of relief because we didn't know what was to come next.  But, the river did calm down a bunch even if it managed to produce holes out of nowhere to try to swallow us.  I suspect part of this was the murky flat nature of the water that definitely made reading the river harder.

We parked at the Mt. Pilchuck road to take out under the bridge.  This involves negotiating a wood obstacle that most in the party walked.  A good description of this obstacle is on the AW site.  An alternative take-out would be about 1/4 mile further east - just east of 353rd Drive NE intersection with MLH (use Google Maps and you can see where the river comes close to the highway here).  While waiting to portage, the river right cliff continuously gave way - at times dropping gigantic hillside portions of rocks, dirt and full size trees.  It was scary and fantastic at the same time.

In reviewing the river levels and the trip after we got back, I notice that the AW site lists 5.2-7.2 as the range for the river.  There is a curious 3 year old note on the AW site about their suggested range.  Anyway, the range on PP is 5.0 to 8.0 feet.  For me 7.5 feet was more than I bargained for.  Everything turned out fine but I probably wouldn't return too quickly at this level - not until my skills improve significantly.  To put this in perspective, on Saturday, we ran the MM at 1800.  That was only my second time on the MM (the first was at 900 so barely counts).  Even though I took a bad sneak-right line  and managed to flip in House Rocks twice including one longish underwater hole survey before rolling up and<
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 2:18pm
How to run Wiley Creek rapid as 7.5 feet - according to Deborah's hand...

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 3:01pm
Hey ... Hide that watch before D4 starts getting ideas.... he's a sucker for a Tag.

As for the suggested levels. I changed those after a trip down this stretch a few years back. The gauge could have been changed since due to floods, but Bryon Scruggs,  D1 and I did that stretch and it was super boney at 7.3 ft or around there somewhere. That is why I bumped up the recommended levels. The run is still alot like the middle middle in that there is really no celing to what you could do the run at. The Max is more of a top end of when the banks start filling over and the river reaches a flood state. Example the middle middle gets run up past 10k all the time. Max is like 4k. recommended, not due to difficulty but because at 4k the river is starting to breech the banks and eddys start to wash out. So it is a different type of river.

I am curious though, did Deborah, actually get a chance to look down at the hand, or was that drawing more of a momento of the trip?

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 3:14pm
Well, there must have been a problem with the gauge or with the changes after the floods.  We carpooled up to the run yesterday with Bryon and he said he hadn't been on this run in years (probably the last time was with you).  As such, he thought the Stilly wasn't that interesting.

Yesterday it was anything but bony @ 7.5 feet.  There was one tiny section (maybe 100 yards, tops) where we had to go down anything that was low water.  In fact, I think Bryon felt like it was super fun at this level and a completely different experience to the last time @ whatever level you ran it at.

Bryon - if you are there - please comment.

Now then, as for Deborah's crib notes, I think it was the process of taking the notes that was more important for her than the looking at her hand during the actual run.  Which, of course, was impossible, since the hand was in a glove and the glove was clutching the paddle for dear life!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 3:20pm
Well that would make the cheat sheet a little more difficult I suppose.
deborah
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel
Cookie Fairy

Quote deborah Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 6:50pm
As the creator and bearer of the only cheat sheet for this rapid, I wanted to clarify something.  First, said cheat sheet was reviewed further upstream while safely parked in an eddy.  Once closer to the rapid, I was too damn busy praying to the river gods to bother with a cheat sheet.  Second, the "X" (center hand) marks the massive, sucking hole.  The solid line (hand left) marks where the green tongue should have been.  Said tongue was never found by any member of party.  Lastly, my last long rapid scout from the road resulted in a full face helmet (not a bad outcome).  So, now my "road scouting voodoo" involves drawing pictures on myself to improve my memory.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 12:20pm
Well watching the helmet cam play back I can add a couple of things. The river was huge. Some of the rapids in the canyon section around Wiley Creek threw my 13' two man inflatable around like a fetch toy. Loads of fun.

Byron styled the hole above Wiley Creek. Sorry, the cam was off!

Shaunna must be crazy because she is not only still with me, but still wants to boat!

Everyone except our swimmer hit the tongue on Wiley Creek Rapid whether they were aware of it or not.

Adrian unintendoed a nice cartwheel in the seam on Wiley Creek Rapid!

The rapid below WCR that took us by surprise was pretty much as described. I watched the boats ahead of us just suddenly drop out of sight and after that there was just an occasional helmet or frantic paddle to let me know they were still there. Most of the group ran this rapid down the right side. This seemed to be the side with the bigger holes, but seemed to have more of a clear route if you could thread the needle. I ran the IK down the center which had more holes, but they were not as big. At the bottom of the rapid the right side was funneled toward the center by a couple of house rocks. That was where Adrian found the big hole that Deborah followed him into. Just upstream of the house rocks in river center Shaunna and I hit two big holes that were stacked right on top of each other. The first one spun the IK around like a top, and then released us broadside into the second hole. Shaunna was screaming, but I got us through it with a look of calm, steely eyed determination on my face (I can make that claim because no one was paying attention to us in this rapid and the camera doesn't point back at me; really I was bracing so hard and fast I probably resembled a old lady trying to swat at mice with a broom!). There is a nice big eddy behind the house rock where you can collect swimmers and gear.  I didn't pay attention to what was on the left.

The lead in to the logjam above the take out is very runnable, but the logjam itself looks very nasty. It reminds me of the woodpile that ate my paddle last year. There is a clear big water route through the lead in on river right. Lots of big holes and waves. This line looked like it would be as hard as the rapid below WCR. The center was a shallow slalom course around rocks and holes. The river left was a nice sneak route that let you eddy hop down to a big eddy on ledge above the logjam. If you miss this eddy and make it down the ledge, there was another big eddy to stop you before you got anywhere near the logjam. Shaunna and I walked it because it was a little tight and technical for a two man boat with a first time paddler, but it is very doable and easier than walking. I think the rapid between the logjam and take out is well worth the short portage.

My 2 cents on this run was that it is a good run for those looking to jump up to class 4 at this level. WCR was definately class 4, but the rest of the run was 2+ to easy 3. It gave us a nice warm up to get ready for the hard stuff.

Kyle

Edited by Wiggins - 20 Mar 2007 at 12:23pm
I smell bacon
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 3:03pm
Hey Kyle, can you upload some of that helmet-cam footage?
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 3:38pm
So Arn and Deborah, sounds like you are you ready for Boulder Drop now?

Courtney
deborah
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel
Cookie Fairy

Quote deborah Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 4:04pm

Some have claimed that BD at 2000cfs is easier than what WCR is at  7 1/2ft.  Having completed an "underwater survey" in a hole on lower WCR, I think I'll wait until I have more skills before running BD --- at any level.  For example, I would have liked to know enough to determine for myself if I was actually on the green tongue.  Kyle says "yes", but I really couldn't see it. 

If (notice "if" and not "when") I ever decide to try BD, I'd want to be right behind your boat.  Besides, I'm getting better at the boat drag around BD.  Should we ever run BD, I'd want to be properly prepared.  So, I'd like to have the privilege of cleaning your booties before any said run down BD.  Perhaps it would be best for me to hold a pre-boating bootie bathing boogie bash (I'll supply the cleaner and elbow grease). 

Edited by deborah - 20 Mar 2007 at 4:04pm
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 8:22am
I'd love to take you and Arn down BD for your first run.  Maybe this summer would be a good time as the levels drop and it gets warmer.  As for the bootie beer, don't worry, I wouldn't ask others to do something I wouldn't do myself. 

Courtney   
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 11:02am
Boulder Drop at 2000 is good test for anyone getting comfortable in Class III.  It requires a series of Class III moves that add up to a class IV.  Having someone lead you through the entrance to the first eddy, airplane turn to the second eddy, and then the exit to the end of the rapid is the best way to get through BD the first time.  By breaking it down it really isn't too difficult if you are comfortable in class III.

Also, BD flushes well.  I have personally swam and seen many others swim through boulder drop without any problems.

After that, fire up Ned's needle!  If you can make the boof it's an easier line down than airplane in my opinion.

And for the bootie beer.... let's drop that topic.  If you don't want to nobody will make you.  This isn't a fraternity or anything, just a great community of boaters.  Some of those who like to razz each other now and then.
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 11:11am
Thanks for the thoughts Ryan.  I think that I am (finally) ready to try BD.  Right level, right group, good day, I'm in.  Now then, it could be till summer before the Sky is back at 2000.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 12:19pm
Here Here Ryan ... well stated.

Don't worry Arno, the sky will come down before then, and if it does not you can always look forward to getting into class IV on the lower icicle. Even more fun if you ask me.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 1:03pm
More fun than BD @ 2K - you bet. But with a bit more consequence.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version