Professor Paddle: Thieves Beware
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Trips Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Lost \ Found \ Stolen
 Professor Paddle : Classifieds : Lost \ Found \ Stolen
Message Icon Topic: Thieves Beware Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Thieves Beware
    Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 11:18pm
I know this is pretty sick... I mean do we really need a special forum for thefts and such.

I think we do. Here is why.

We have a ton of thefts I can think of at least 4 or 5 per year with my friends alone. So if we start documenting these we might recover the gear better and maybe we could establish some type of pattern.

I dunno ... I just want to keep track of these because they are important and should have a separate place for discussion.

Edited by James - 19 Feb 2007 at 11:20pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 11:23am
James,
         My Idea and maybey you know some body that knows somebody. With all the high tech-  camera's and solar power packs  and batteries and such. What about camera's at  some of the put in's and take out's. You know like the steven's pass cam or the highway cam's. Isn't there white water of america or some co. willing to start keeping track of put in'n and take out's. It might seem big bro. But if I could afford it i'd f-n install them myself. Maybey a camera or too on the drop or some place exciting like that as well . The f-n meth and crack heads out there need to either get locked up or beat down. And scence the cop's don't care unless the get in on the beat down portion of the idea there too buisy getting paid for traffic violation's. How can we stop the maddness??? 

Edited by Chuck e fresh - 21 Feb 2007 at 11:28am
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 11:34am
They might get stolen too! 

I know, not funny.  Didn't we have a similar convesation about the parks around the Green?  I'm waiting for Wiggins to jump on this one!  Kyle, do you like to get in on the beat downs?  haha j/k

I haven't done any research on American Whitewater if they have anything like this but it couldn't hurt contacting them about it.  It has to be a problem everywhere.

How sweet would a Split Rock wave or Paradise Ledge cam be!   ...until the next flood.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 11:40am
Yea the bonus is that if you pipe an internet connection out to one of these locations you could easily run multiple cameras....

The issue is getting an internet connection where the camera is located. That and power. You don't want battery operated camera's even though it would crudly do the job.
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 12:09pm

Yeah, that would be bad ass. How about camera's like the security ones were you just get the footage right from the camera. I dunno either I just really really Hate meth heads. And I use hate with not only intent and passion but strongly as well. I had an advanced elements stolen from my back yard when I first moved into gold bar. It was a wicked awsome I.K. And don't get me wronge not all cops are egotistical power hungry abusive inhumaine self lowthing vain ignoriant .... hole eater's. ( Doughnut whole eater's ) I've known at least three that actualled cared about there fellow man! oops did I say cared... I wouldn't want to offend anyone. But I know Everyone as well as me, Love cop's.

tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 1:18pm
It would not be hard to power a camera with a solar panel. I would be expensive and not functional at night but that should not be a problem for this purpose.
... preparing for a river beating!     
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 1:24pm
The connection is the costly part of this equation.
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 1:47pm
use some sort of 3G or edge network card?
i like it when it rains
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 2:39pm
To me it seems like there are two options here depending on what problem you are trying to solve.

If the problem you are trying to solve is the theft/meth-head problem, a camera that collects evidence that can be used in a forensic analysis is a (relatively) cheap solution.  You don't need a great deal of power and you don't need a live connection to the internet.  You could take a statistical approach and post signs at a number of put-ins/take-outs that state that the area is under surveillance (even though, in reality, only a subset of places have cameras) and have a deterrent effect across a larger set of sites.

Now then, if what you want is to solve the theft/meth-head problem *AND* have an ability to see what the river looks like in real-time, you are looking at a different and more expensive solution.

Or maybe we could just pay the meth-heads to watch the cars.
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 2:55pm
Hmmm , I think you might have something there.  With the camera and sighn set up. Stillthe crackzombie's would just take your money and your car. I say we just hang um...no, we kill um... no we stab em''' no we burrie em.! No  wait we stab um, then we hang em ,then we kill um ,then we barrie em. Or we just let em go!!!!!
Ronin
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Ronin Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 10:07pm
Don't bother with the video camera. It's a waste of time. If you catch a clear image of the perpetrator committing the crime, the police won't do anything.

A friend's motorcycle was stolen and his car broken into while it was parked in his apartment's garage. The apartment had video security cameras throughout the place so it caught the perp's vehicle and their faces. I saw the video tape and the images were very clear. The cop took the video tapes as evidence. Months past without any news. My friend called the Everett police to find out if they apprehended anyone. They stalled and stalled. Finally a police officer admitted that they hadn't done anything with the video tapes since the tapes had to be analyzed by their forensic video expert so that an arrest warrant could be issued. Unfortunately, their forensic video expert was so overwhelmed by video tapes from other crimes that property crimes ended up in "it'll never see daylight" file.   

There was a similar case in Tacoma a few months ago. In that case, the police wouldn't even take the video tape into evidence. The business owner was so upset that he contacted the TV news media who showed it on TV. The images of the perp committing car prowling was very clear. The Tacoma Police reluctantly had to go back to the business owner to pick up the video tape, but I bet it ended up in the "it'll never see daylight" file.   I've been told that the police have now instructed their officers to collect all video tapes as evidence so that the video tapes can go immediately and directly into their "it'll never see daylight" file and not be a possible source of embarassment to them as a "do nothing" law enforcment agency.    

Edited by Ronin - 21 Feb 2007 at 10:13pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 7:21am
you guys are missing the obvious option... we start beating up random people so the meth heads and crack monkeys think we're more loco than they are. they'll be paranoid just by being near a river.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 9:34am
that was the anw. I was searching for. Nice... I forgot though all the security cam's arn't to protect people it's to protect the insurance agencies. I keep forgetting our society so funked up! I mean America rules! Whole E Crap i need to go paddle!

Edited by Chuck e fresh - 22 Feb 2007 at 11:11am
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 1:06pm
Why is it that we have no shortage of "law enforcement resources" to screw otherwise honest people for going 65 in a 55, but we can't do anything about a criminal cought red-handed on video!?! 
I can litereally count on one hand the number of cops I've met that don't suck. 
Weide
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Weide Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 4:25pm
When I was a kid, my buddies and I would just drop a baggie of dog food when a mean dog chased us. Maybe we should just tie little bags of meth to our antennas so the meth heads get so distracted they forget rob us. I wonder if Wiggins can get us some from the evidence locker.
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 12:25am
Hey Dan, if your still trying to count "cops that don't suck", and your hand is anything like mine, your making a fist.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 7:16am
What about wiggins...I have my middle finger up now!!!!

Just Kidding.

or am I....

Edited by James - 23 Feb 2007 at 7:16am
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 1:03pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 1:31pm
Just checking this thread out due to my recently stolen boat. Here's my 2 cents about the "all cops suck" rhetoric: while I'm instinctively inclined to agree with many of your points that continually get espoused, I can't go so far as to make BLANKET statements. Cops are human beings in a profession like anyone else. I do think the profession in question is fundementally flawed on very many serious levels, But so is the health care system. It's flawed to the core. But that doesn't mean there aren't individuals within the system sincerely working out of a sense of duty, and trying to change things for the better. You can't say ALL nurses and ALL doctors are bad just because the institution they work in is FUNDEMENTALLY FUCKED.

Edited by wetmouse - 27 Mar 2008 at 1:32pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Will
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Will Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 8:45pm
Check this out, mostly Sea Kayaks and a few Whitewater boats but it is updated regularly. I know there have been at least a few boats recovered through this list.

Just click the Stolen Kayaks link on the left nav bar.

Pretty impressive really.
What could possibly go wrong?
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 11:44pm
Cameras won't do crap. The reason is not that the cops won't do anything with the footage (most places that we use to get on the river are slow enough the cops don't have a ton to do, and they would probably know who tweak was), but that any electronics left out will get stolen.

The best option would be to use a bait car to lure the thieves and get them busted red handed. When word gets out that there is a kayaking bait car tweakers will start hitting the trailheads more and the river accesses less.

My favorite idea is to borrow one of the K9's and put him in a SUV or van with all our valubles in the middle of the floor.

Anyone paddling Pilchuck Creek, the Skagit, the Cascade River, or anything in Skagit County let me know and if I am working I'll check cars and wave the flag in the area.

Kyle

Edited by Wiggins - 27 Mar 2008 at 11:45pm
I smell bacon
Carter_M
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Carter_M Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 9:34am
What are they going to do with a stolen boat? Exactly! Try to sell it to one of us! It seems like the stolen kayak website is a good idea to me. I mean I bought a yellow liquid logic Jefe a couple of years ago from a guy in the Seattle area who had NO IDEA about this boat. I was excited to see float bags in the boat and he asked what they were for.
His story was that he had bought if from a good friend who kayaked a lot but "he had just never gotten into it." AND the most fishy thing about the deal was that one of the grab handles was missing a bolt (ie. it was locked up somewhere and he removed a handle to 'liberate it').

Anyway, it would have been nice if there was someplace I could check to see if it was stolen. If it was, it probably came from Colorado or back east somewhere as I'm assuming even the dumbest kayak thieves would know better than to post a boat stolen in the Northwest for sale on Seattle Craigslist.
Here's hoping that the guy was honest and I'm not paddling somebody's stolen Jefe! Talk about bad river karma...
Capt. Bill
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Capt. Bill Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 11:46am
I saw a great ad on TV the other night for anti drug abuse blah blah blah...  it showed the picture of a nice looking couple while playing the actual 911 call of the two reporting that they were lost and freezing to death. The sub title told us that they were also high on meth and were later found dead. Fantastic I thought! Two less folks out stealing my stuff to support their habits, and it didn't require me getting any camera gear or hungry bass with lasers! Perfect. Now, make it legal cheap and affordable and I won't have to worry about the next meth head busting into my vehicle for my stuff again. Together we'll solve the drug problem- one dead meth head at a time.
matta
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote matta Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 5:43pm
Wow. That's pretty shitty. One person with a drug problem dead is worth not getting a boat stolen.
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 6:55pm
I cannot believe some of the shit that some people post and believe that it is okay. Captain Bill, I understand your point but you have made your self sound like such an ignorant $%#*. I agree that stealing of gear sucks but how the hell do you even relate that some one dying? If your point was to sound cool, you most certainly do not. I do not know you, but I cannot believe that you would even post that. Have some respect for yourself.
Chris Ohta

Edited by H2Ohta - 31 Mar 2008 at 5:09pm
H2Ohta
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version