Professor Paddle: Cali Boating vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Cali Boating Post Reply Post New Topic
BoulderBoy
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BoulderBoy Replybullet Topic: Cali Boating
    Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 4:21am

Will be reloacating to the San Jose area around June 1st. Would like some input on any class III boating within driving distance from the Bay area. I know that I will be doing more driving but any info will be appreciated.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 8:00am
When I was down there I didn't get the chance to hit any whitewater.  However I know there's a good bit around the Sacramento area since I was offered a job there.  If you don't get alot of info here, you could call California Canoe & Kayak in Oakland and I know they could help you out.  There's also another California Canoe & Kayak in Sacramento too.  Their number is 800-366-9804  or in Oakland - (510) 893-7833 and in Sacramento - (916) 353-1880.
Courtney
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2007 at 12:45pm
Here's a great resource for Cali boating.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2007 at 1:45pm
definitely call California Canoe & Kayak in Sacramento, and get info on Gold Country Paddlers - it's a great club (or at least it was when I was living down there).

boof.com and kayaking.ocm have good river info too.  Your closest river will be the SF of the American.  It's got 2 class 3 sections that are very popular (like the sky and MM are around here).  Unfortunately, it's about a 3 hour drive from San Jose.

Tell them Dan sent you.  They'll either run you out of town or become your best pals, depending on who you talk to :)
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2007 at 2:01pm
boof.com
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 4:03pm
Around SAC, check out the SF American from Chili Bar down, NF American (Shirt tail run), Cache Creek, and the Trinity and Salmon River drainages.  The Stanislaus is also close with lots of choices.  You are headed to an AWESOME area for boating, I might even say I´m a little jealous...
JHB
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 4:12pm
Shut your cake hole Blum.

Your banned from using the word Jealous as long as you are in Costa Rica.
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 9:03pm
I don't know much about the area but my parents paddled down there back in the 80's and early 90's when we lived in San Jose. I know they used to drive out to all kinds of places on the weekends, Tuolome, American, Yuba, Trinity. There are tons of rivers around there if you are willing to drive.
Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2007 at 8:48pm
I grew up on the rivers down there. There are tons of great runs and the weather rocks! The closest class III to San Jose would be in the foothills of the Sierras, directly east, from 2 to 4 hours away. The American has some very fun and popular (read: crowded!) runs. When New Melones reservoir is low enough the old Camp 9 run on the Stanislaus is great, except for the bathtub ring left by the reservoir. The Toulomne has an awesome class IV run that is one loooonnngggg day or a nice overnight although you may need permits for that one.

There are some rain fed runs a few hours north of the Bay Area as well.

The cacreekin.com website in an ealier post has tons of great runs to choose from and good beta, even though it was developed for IK'ers. Boof.com is good too but seems to be more for hard core boaters.

I would suggest picking up a copy of "The Best Whitewater in California" by Chuck Stanley and Lars Holbeck. This book is the CA bible. It appears you can get a copy pretty cheap on amazon...

Just over the hill from San Jose in the Santa Cruz mountains, the San Lorenzo runs on big rains but beware, it tends to pick up, um, "floaters" from overworked septic tanks. It can also have some serious redwood strainers so be careful.

There is some great surfing along the coast near Santa Cruz and down into the Monterey Bay but beware of two very scary creatures found at many of the breaks:
1. Santa Cruz surfers (they hate kayakers and will hassle you big time).
2. "The man in the gray suit" (largest great white sharks in the world, and lots of them).

Have fun! 
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2007 at 11:38pm

Some of those beaches down there are really nice. The more people you paddle the more options the shark has to misstake one of you for a seal ! " Allway's look at the bright side of life," The local's mostly anywhere are stand- offish. havn't you seen The Outsider's? The greasers and the soiches..Or the warrior's??  If your nice to the local's they might give you some beach knowledge. Just bring them snack's to feed them. Gummy fish...boston baked bean's..you know prepackage freashly sealed goodies. And if you don't ever talk to them save them for munchie mayhem!!

There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version