Professor Paddle: Bull Trout n Spokane vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Parks
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum : Whitewater Parks
Message Icon Topic: Bull Trout n Spokane Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Bull Trout n Spokane
    Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 3:34pm
Just FYI...

This could be out of date information, but apparently the Play Park that was being proposed and designed in Spokane, has been stopped. The plans have been put on hold due to a recent discovery of local Bull Trout.

These endangered species have put a halt on development in spokane and no future work is in sight.

If you have an update or different piece of information please post it up.

~J
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
swimseat
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimseat Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 11:54am

We tried to get a park set up on the chewuch river in the methow valley, and our dream ended much in the same way.  We teamed up with Scott Shipley and REP to design a park that would increase tourism and improve on a dangerous structure (wier) that had been causing paddlers, indigenous fish, and river recreationalists trouble for years.  We were working together with town officials as well as biologists to figure it out, but it came down to endangered fish species in the end.  Our plan would have improved the fish habitat without harming any fish species, (these guys at REP know their shit,) but indifference and small-town politics interfered and the town and its fishy friends were robbed of a unique and beneficial structure.  It looks like the Spokane project has been blugeoned to death in much the same way whitewater parks across the country have been removed from the slate, but I think continued efforts on the part of the whitewater paddling community would be helpful..  It's a tough one, because paddling is still a bit of an underground community (or subculture,) and there isn't enough popular sway to get the gears turning.  We just gotta keep pushing..   And if anybody's looking for a team to build a park, definitely look up Scott Shipley and REP designs;     www.wwparks.com .

mixmastermax
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
14kayaking2
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote 14kayaking2 Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 9:31pm
just out of curiosity... did you mean to put the discovery of bull sh*t?
"We are only boaters between swims" Matty
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 8:05am
The Bull Trout but a slow down on the Park, but meetings and studies are still being done, so it is far from dead!
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 8:19am
I like James' discovery about the fishermen. We can rope them in on it and increase the worthiness of the project.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 9:21am
I got 5 on it !
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
nerka
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote nerka Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 11:34am
Hey James and Swimseat,
I'd be curious to hear some of the fishy particulars regarding the parks in Spokane and the Methow.  I've been working in fisheries for a while, so feel free to drop the science if you got it.
Swimseat, it sounds like the the park became the unwanted stepchild once the city council heard the words "Bull trout".   I know large scale restoration projects have occurred in other river systems with Bull trout(the Hoh immediately comes to mind). 
I'm pretty sure that project was spearheaded by DOT to keep 101 from washing into the Pacific, so that might have greased some regulatory wheels.

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version