Professor Paddle: Renton Play Park vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Parks
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum : Whitewater Parks
Message Icon Topic: Renton Play Park Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Renton Play Park
    Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 3:28pm
So I am just tossing this thread out there so we can keep track of different proposals and projects were working on.

This is the thread for the Renton Whitewater Park. Unfortunatly despite a good amount of work and a great location, timing and funding we are most likely never going to see a park in the City of Renton. The city is just not into it, which is a shame considering the population, and number of families that would benefit from such a park.

None the less we shall continue the effort and give updates if anything changes.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 4:05pm
Major lameness.

I was hoping to have that sucker in place once I finish serving the 3-year sentence on the East Coast. 16 months to go, but who's counting.....

Did they mention anything specific like  the expense, environmental concerns, that may have tipped the balance against the park?
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 4:30pm

There were various reasons that the project was cancelled including (but not limited to):

-The recent flooding- it made them wary of changing anything having to do with rivers for fear of exacerbating future flood events. 

-The Sonics- they are busy tiring to get an arena in Renton.

-Parking- they were afraid the area could not accommodate the number of visitors the park would draw.

-Environmental concerns

From my perspective, most of the concerns were unfounded, but politics is difficult because you have to convince a large number pf people with different priorities all to get on board without having a lot of time to make your case.  If nothing else, we are now more familiar with the type of questions city might have regarding a WW park so if we get another chance we will be better prepared.   

... preparing for a river beating!     
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 8:05am
I see. Thanks for all of the efforts, anyway.

If you guys aren't exhausted some kind of a summary of what the process involved and a compilation of the "lessons learned" might be helpful information for the community to have for future reference.

Are there actually any other sites in the Puget Sound or near Leavenworth that are worth considering? 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 8:36am
There are a ton of sites and I have broken this part of the forum into seperate rooms for that reason. I am going to start another round of mailing letters.

This renton thing is just a bunch of BS.

The #1 reason that we were shutdown on this idea was not enviornmental, It was not financial, it was not even related to flooding or parking.

It was simple. The city felt that a whitewater park would draw in members of other communities rather than providing something that only a renton citizen would use. Like a small park or a community pool rather than a aquatic center.

All of this is of course really funny considering that the Sonics and Seahawks just might do the same thing.... Just maybe there will be folks at a game from other citys right.

This is a bunch of Bull Shit. I plan on being at City Hall to oppose this Arena at every turn in the Road.

~J
Features
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Features Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 10:49am
"This is a bunch of Bull Shit. I plan on being at City Hall to oppose this Arena at every turn in the Road."

that will get you no where if you are going to try and pursue the park further in Renton.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 4:08pm
You are very right especially about tone. Of course I never did oppose it at a meeting, and I would not be rude if I were to. Although I do still think it is a poor choice to spend city money on a project that is barely even in the city let alone has no city commerce near by, coupled with the fact that it does not even draw much attraction since the team blizzooowws. Then to turn down a whitewater park on a current river project only because you don't want to build an attraction or large gathering for out of town people is rather hypocritical.

Again sometimes it nice to just vent, which is what I was going for. Thanks for the input though, it was very helpful, the calm is sweeping through my bones.
Features
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Features Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 10:37am
lol. it would be nice to have a whitewater park in the area, then i wouldnt feel the necessity to sit on the forums begging for people to hit powerhouse with me...... maybe, hah.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 10:45am
On the bright side I did score some river bootie down on the cedar a while back ... it seems that the millions of dollars spent on yet another jogging trail and playground will bring loads of people loosing frisbees and soccer balls. I'm thinking about starting a play it again sports location across the street. Maybe I would call it BBYC (Buy Back Your Crap) I would of course sell buttons too

Edited by James - 10 Jul 2009 at 10:48am
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 11:32am
you are right james that it's all about money. the seahawks facilities and formerly potential sonics arena are/could have been cash cows.  the seahawks facilities for property/BO taxes, which don't change whether it's in the middle of the city or close to bellevue.

i have worked with the city of renton.  they don't care anything about the environment.  environmental regs are a hoop they have to jump through as they continue developing.  this is obviously true since the seahawks facility is right on the lake.  this parcel was one of the last remaining undeveloped open space areas on lake washington, but renton went right on and developed it anyway instead of preserving what was a rare natural shoreline.

i am sure the city fails to see how a park and play would add a significant revenue stream to its city coffers, so they JDGaF.  fuck 'em, I say. try maple valley.

also, this is the kind of project that i think would benefit from collaboration with various groups (such as AW) that have an established reputation, which i'm sure you already know.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version