Professor Paddle: Costa Rica Boatin' vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Costa Rica Boatin' Post Reply Post New Topic
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jblum Replybullet Topic: Costa Rica Boatin'
    Posted: 02 Feb 2007 at 11:37pm
Hello PPers...

There are so many new faces around these days, its unbelievable to me how this community has grown (Thank you James...).  I remember back in the day when it was rare to find more than one member online, now I see six people online, and its FRIDAY AT 11PM!!!  Maybe kayakers really don't have lives...

Anyway, I'm Jonathan, a Northwest boater for all my life, who has been passing the last four months and two more in Costa Rica.  Things down here have been great.  Warm water, beautiful jungle, more warm water, birds and biodiversity we could only dream of in the NW, beautiful women (and men too for those few girl kayakers), oh, and the water is really warm...

I've been spending most of my time in the Turrialba area, one of the whitewater centers of the country.  I've boated a lot on the Pacuare, Raventazon, Sarapiqui and Pejibaye Rivers.  In the next few weeks I'll be checking out the Rio Patria and hopefully a Chiripo Atlantico Expedition (this is one of the most remote reaches of Costa Rican rivers).

I've seen some familiar Northwest Faces down here this winter.  Pete Giordiono (sp?), Todd Collins, Erik, and Ben West and friends have all passed though, and hopefully we'll be getting more of you (Tobin for sure, James?) on the Costa Rican Whitewater soon enough.

I just got some long awaited pictures up of the Upper Pacuare Gorge on my personal site if you'd like to take a look:   http://www.daysontheriver.com/rivertrips/pacuareupper110.htm

If anyone has questions about Costa Rica, or is thinking about coming down, feel free to send them my way.  Happy boating to all and stay warm up there.
JHB
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2007 at 9:04am
Jon,

Thanks for the update brother.

I checked out the Trip Report. Stellar Stuff, those boulder gardens look amazing and so does the weather. Just FYI that movie was not working on the Trip Report page. Corrupt File, anyone else have that issue?

Nice shots though, I sure hope I can make it down there in the next few years.

~J
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2007 at 9:52am
Hey Man!

Good timing. I'm planning a trip down to Costa Rica for next December. Right now I'm going to book with Costa Rica Rios...but any feedback you have would be appreciated. Should I just go on my own, rent a car and gear or go with a guide?

BTW, I still have your North Face shirt from that weekend on the West Fork of the Hood. It's really comfy! Let me know how you'd like to reclaim it.

-Bryon
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2007 at 11:33am
Jon,
   See ya soon my brotha!!  Nice pics,  I am stoked to get in the warm water. 
No takers from this side, but  I will be there!!
  Scope some surf spots, they go great with the sun and a drink!!!
  Peace,
 Miss ya

Sure?
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2007 at 2:33pm
James,

Everything on the page should work now, thanks for the heads up...  Hope to see you down here to run the stuff... the good stuff...

Bryon, the short answer is book with them.  If you have more time (say two or three weeks), I might recommend doing your own trip, but it is very convenient to have them drive you, guide you, and all that.  If price is an issue, you can boat in Costa Rica guided for $60 or so a day including the shuttle and rental, but then you'll have to arrange that all for yourself which usually takes some Spanish.  As far as my shirt, I'll let you snuggle with it for a bit longer, but don't get to comfortable! 

Tobin, hope you can make it down here man.  I'll be working from March 10th-28th or so, so if you could slip in the end of Feb or something, that would be rad.  If you can't, I can hook you up with all you need for boating pretty cheap or free (hopefully) and people to paddle with.  I'd love to see you down here man.  Hope you're boating happy and living freely up in WA.  Peace.
JHB
jb12
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jb12 Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 8:46am
hhhmm 
Tobin backed into my Subaru almost 3 months ago doing over  $2500.00 in damages to my passenger side door and does not have the 'money' to fix it but has the money to go to Costa Rica.  WOW  what a cool person Tobin is
nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - RWE
KatieAdele
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote KatieAdele Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 1:38pm
Hey, at least I'm not the one bitchin this time! 

Jonathon, I hope your having a GREAT time down there, sounds like you are!  Just don't play with any wildlife, you don't have very good luck with that,  from what I know of ya!
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 4:11pm
  Normally I dotn respond much to this crap,  however, since it seems to be the topic of the month I will!
  Jen,  I submitted all the info to my insurance company on the exact day  I told you I would, you took another 3 days getting me the name of the body shop you wanted to use. That pressed us to monday, it takes 3-5 days to file a claim.  I know you are an all knowing expert in the insurance field, however, I will go by what my insurance company tells me. 
  As per all the messages I have left for you, both you and Yotes will be contacted in the next few days, adn the body shop has been contacted, and the quote is being reviewed.  I have appologiesed many times for the delay, I cannot control not being paid for 2 1/2 months.  A week and a half ago, you said whenever,  then in 24 hours threatened me with a civil suit??
   As for Kathryn,  again, get a life and get out of mine!!

I will appologise again to everyone that has to read this crap!!  
 Peace
Tobin 
Sure?
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 6:44pm
this clothes line is getting pretty heavy...
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
Will
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Will Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 9:19pm
Jonathan, I am glad to hear you are still kickin it in CR! Any chance that you may grace our presence in WA again soon?

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 8:37am
I am curious too... Last year you were down doing the guide thing during the PP Party and this year your down in CR! Honestly I am starting to think your never going to come blum. Tell me your gonna make it big guy, Isn't the season over down there?
cyrus
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote cyrus Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 7:15am
Jonathan,  Planing a trip to Costa Rica in fall and have been trying to find a local contact for kayak surfing.  Do you know and one there who has a surf kayak or any outfitters who have them to rent?
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 6:37pm
Hey all PPers,

I wanted to let you know about a few Costa Rica kayaking trips coming up.  I work for Wet Planet Whitewater Center in the Columbia River Gorge (in Husum), and we're doing two Costa Rica trips this March 17-24th and 24-April 1st.  The details are available on the Wet Planet site: 

http://www.wetplanetwhitewater.com/raftingTrips/costaRicaExped.htm

The reason I put this out there is that these trips are uniquely for paddlers of all levels... they will allow boaters to kayak if they prefer, or ride in a raft for the more challenging rivers if they aren't comfortable. 

There are cheaper ways to boat around Costa Rica (if you do it all yourself), but to arrange all the transportation, food, hotels, and shuttles for all the rivers and activities would be close to $1500 (basically, this is a real good deal for a week down here)...

I'd love to see some of you Northwesterners here in March.  Take a look and be in touch with Todd or Jaco at Wet Planet if interested.
JHB
jb12
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jb12 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 3:14am
hmmm, that is very interesting Tobin since it is now Feb. 14 and 3 months since you drunkenly backed into my subaru that needs a new passenger door and is still not fixed. The autobody shop has not received any call or fax from you or this mysterious insurance company of yours.  My insurance company has been calling you every day for the last 10 days and you have not responded or answered any of their phone calls.
Apparently they have found that you have no car insurance at all.  I guess this is why you have been lying to me.  It is not up to me to collect money from you, rather your personal responsibilty as a driver to have car insurance and it is our insurance companies that deal with fixing my car.  But you apparently have no car insurance.
So this should be a good example and warning to people who decide to get into Tobin's car or allow him to drive their vehicles for shuttles.  If anything happens to you or your car he will dodge all responsibility and leave you and your insurance company with the bill.
nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - RWE
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version