Professor Paddle: Skagit River - Eagle Time? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Skagit River - Eagle Time? Post Reply Post New Topic
moserbell
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote moserbell Replybullet Topic: Skagit River - Eagle Time?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 10:30am

I'm looking for a small group paddle/float on the Skagit (near Marblemount?) to enjoy the river and spot aome eagles.

We have recreational level kayaks and would lkike to join with a small group that can help with put in and take out spots and with joining forces for the boat shuttle.

I recall from prior years that kayak groups can get on the river early, before the big raft trips take off.

Does anyone have any information or interest in such a trip?

Thanks
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 7:27pm
I can't believe no one around here has details on this... I thought it was a common run?

My wife always wanted to go do that. When are you planning this trip?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
KatieAdele
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote KatieAdele Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 8:49pm
You can put in at Goodell Creek or Howard miller Steelhead park, or maybe one of those is a take out.  I'm not sure.  I know I can't find a take out from the river, and I'm not sure if these would include the S curves or not...  Been a whiule since I've been up there.  http://www.skagiteagle.org/Wildlife/eagle-watching-sites.html  This is the festival and interpretive center site and they may have accurate information!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
moserbell
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote moserbell Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 9:13pm

Well, I guess we should organize a trip, eh?

Last year, we put in at Marblemount (maybe it was Pressentio County Park) and out at Rockport (Howard Miller Steelhead County Park).  We went in the morning to beat the rafting trips.  I will try to find out more about the specific place and timing.

We (two adults and possibly one teenager) will be driving up from Bellevue and will probably try to have breakfast in Darrington beforehand; there is a nice casual breakfast place on the main road.

As for dates, how about Saturday February 3, or Saturday February 17.  I think the 3rd is probably better timing for eagle watching; the 'peak time' is supposed to be late January.  The 3rd is on the weekend of the Skagit Bald Eagle Festival so it may be a bit crazy but the 17th might be late for the best viewing??  We are as interested in the easy river trip as we are in the eagle spotting so either date is fine by us.

Anyone interested should email us and let us know about interest, number of people/boats, etc.

used2climb
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

climbing, boating, failing at both

Quote used2climb Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 8:23am
Peak has already passed--check out recent articles in Seattle papers.  Was a bumper year.  However, if you go in the next few weeks there will definitely still be lots of eagles--just not 500+.  Most people put in significantly BELOW the S curves for a gentle Class I+ eagle float.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version