Professor Paddle: Lost AND Found S.Fork Snoq. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Lost \ Found \ Stolen
 Professor Paddle : Classifieds : Lost \ Found \ Stolen
Message Icon Topic: Lost AND Found S.Fork Snoq. Post Reply Post New Topic
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jeff Replybullet Topic: Lost AND Found S.Fork Snoq.
    Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 3:42pm

Just a quick Lost AND Found post here...

Found - skull cap at S. Fork Snoqualmie take out  on Sat. 1/6/07- identify it and I'll get it back to you (minor cleaning fee applies!haha).  Looked like it had been there for a few days. 

Lost - Werner 30 deg. bent shaft paddle - last seen pinned at the bottom of the river on the two rocks below the weir (S. Fork Snoq.).  Not mine (I can't afford anything that nice..).  To protect his identity, the paddler who it belongs to will remain nameless unless it is recovered.  Name & # are on the blade.  Then we'll rib the crap out of him for losing it - haha!  
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 7:35pm
For the record, the paddle is not lost.  Lost implies that one does not know where the paddle is.  In this case, with a relatively high degree of certainty, the paddle is in a known place at the bottom of the river pinned against a couple of rocks on river right just below the weir on the SF Snoq.  To me, this qualifies as a "misplaced" paddle.

The distinction here is similar to being "lost" versus being "off-route" while mountaineering.

As the disgraced owner of said paddle, if you see it (i.e. it frees itself when the current goes down a bit and it washes up on friendly shores) before we do a recovery this weekend or early next week, I'll be grateful to be reunited with it.

Edited by arnobarno - 09 Jan 2007 at 10:24pm
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 10:02pm

Lots of boaters lose paddles man, don't feel so disgraced.

I once set my boat by the riverside at the put-in, turned around for a spilt-second, and when I looked towards my gear, it was gone. Down the river.

I have also found paddles, returned them to their owners, and then found the same paddle again a year later, but snapped in half.

Hope you find your paddle.

-Dylan

Edited by dylan - 09 Jan 2007 at 10:03pm
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 11:27pm
Just a quick and fun paddle story... I met up with a fella this fall that is from Idaho. He found half a breakdown paddle in the Jarbridge. Grabbed it and saw the 425#. Held on too it for a year or two and then this fall met up with me and gave it to me for the final reunion to the owner. I called him up and a week or two ago we met up and paddled the Cedar, the paddle half finally made its way home.... A little shorter and none the wiser.

~J

Oh and PS, I know I have boated with you arno, but are you sure that Leif is not over there typing for you, or are you guys freakin siamese twins?

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 11:47pm
I haven't met Leif yet but I always wanted a brother - though perhaps not one that was conjoined.

Now then, is the posting style resemblance due to:
1) Warped sense of humor.
2) Bad mountain travel analogies.
3) Beating yourself up over stupid mistake.
4) Fanatical devotion to the pope.  (see #1)
5) All of the above.

tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 9:16am

James I don't think Arno's postas are quite Leif-esque.  They are not nearly verbose enough to qualify.   

... preparing for a river beating!     
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 9:44am
Paalease.... That response alone is enough to warrant a good DNA testing, and the fact that they are both tall skinny dudes just adds to the likely hood of a match. As for an answer to Arno's Inquiry,

1) Correct
2) Correct
3) Absolutly Not Correct... You would need several equipment failures and a 3rd world country to blame if you want to match up to Leif on Numero 3.
4) Correct
5) With the exception of number 3 All Very Correct.

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 10:12am
Seriously though, I am getting ready to travel to Mexico in about 10 days. 

Hmmmm.  I wonder.

Perhaps I was subconsciously thinking of Mexico and practicing my Spanish.  Now then, not knowing how to respond to commands in Spanish, my boat took it upon itself to collide with a pair of rocks.  And, at the very moment I freed the boat by rocking with one hand on the rock, the paddle, in the other hand, decided to wedge itself under the rocks in order to escape from this crazed Spanish-speaking kidnapper.

Para evitar este problema en el futuro, creo que la próxima vez estoy en el rió, pensaré en inglés.

Better??

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 10:39am
I appreciate the effort on that arno, but that type of thing has to be natural. You can't force it.... The example above was forcing it.

Ask leif about any one if his swims. His answers are much more fluid and natural.
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 10:40am

James, I have to agree with your analysis of points 1-5.  As for the issue of Arbo's writing style, I still maintain that it is different than Leif's.  While both use big words, Arbo does so naturally while Lief's soliloquies appear to be a contrived effort to impress. 

Oh no, after proofreading my post it occurs to me that I may have acquired the same malady.

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 10:49am
Okay, now I understand the style of posting appropriate for PP.  Here goes:

I lost my frickin' paddle.  I wrote my name on it with crayons.  If U C it, call me.

BTW - Tom, I like "Arbo" instead of "Arno" though I like "ArnBO" even better.  Just in time for the new Rambo movie that Stallone is in the process of making (seriously).  And, it takes place in a 3rd world country -- so it all comes full circle now.

Edited by arnobarno - 10 Jan 2007 at 10:49am
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 11:31am
Ok lets take this in steps.

1. I agree 100% Tom, but I have to stick with #3 as being the biggest difference
2. You got the lingo and vibe down pat on that 3rd attempt ArnBO
3. If you are serious about the Rambo movie we all need to do something. The whole rocky movie was too much already, and I don't think the world can take another 60+ super hero movie based on how one man can repair all political eruptions with a bazooka strapped to his back and a M60 droping links as fast as our governor creates crapy bills.

On a funny side note, when I was in the military stationed in Savannah GA, our batalion had been tasked to test and compare the M60 with its new replacement the M240bravo. The new version of the M60 (M240B) is about 5.5 pounds heavier and that is unloaded. Why do I mention this. Well when we showed up on the range the first thing that the cadre said was that we could all try a little rambo action if we wanted to, For some reason this is a very requested activty on the M60 ranges. Troops love to try and shoulder fire the M60, just like Stalone. So I tried.... Yea right ....

I needed two hands and it was still really really difficult. With only one hand and a sling the rounds are so inaccurate you would never hit anything. Then try to do the same thing with the M240B. No way. Dude, the added weight makes it just to unreasonable. So if that Rambo movie does come out I will look forward to watching him heft around styrofoam models of our new warefare technology. I would really like to see him pickup a MK21 and go to town lobbing little 40mm's everywhere with pin point precision.

tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 12:02pm
I agree James, # 3 is definitely the biggest difference.  While I must give Leif credit for swimming much less than in the past, I've never seen him swim without some sort of elaborate excuse. 
I can honestly say that the last time I swam, I did so because I took a beating and got scared. 
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 1:42pm
1) Rambo 4 is for real.  For those that can't wait for the movie, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambo_4

2) I don't have an elaborate excuse for why I swam.  Mine is a simple excuse - my boat flipped and I (already) had no paddle and I don't know how to hand-roll.  No equipment failure (my equipment is of a much higher quality than my paddling ability)and no river beating (this time).

tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 4:42pm
I have a hand roll, but was still too much of a wuss to try.  I guess mt excuse is that I am a wuss. 
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 1:30pm
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY - PADDLE RECOVERED

DETAILS
Well, today Deborah and I were planning on joining the SRK trip on the Sky with Jay Kincaid.  We found out that a friend of ours had a business trip to Seattle and would be in town this afternoon so we had to make a last minute change of plans.

River levels are way down so we drove over to North Bend, hoping to find a way to walk out to the weir on the SF Snoqualmie and search for my paddle which I believed to be just below, jammed across a couple of rocks.

Fortunately, we saw someone in the neighborhood and they mentioned a path that led to the river.  We followed the path then inched our way to the bank.  The river was down significantly but it didn't look promising for a recovery - even though I thought I knew where the paddle had been pinned in the first place.  I just figured it probably freed itself by now. 

In fact, the water was clear and there didn't appear to be anything next to the rocks except some wood and other debris.  Deborah said, "Why not rattle that log and use that to poke around down there?"  So, I did.  And the next thing I know, I see a black blade and start pulling!  Paddle recovered and not much worse for wear except for some new gauges on the shaft toward the center (not near your grips - see photo).  Seems solid.

So, I guess it was never "lost" just temporarily "misplaced."

Better to be lucky than good!

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 1:47pm
Ok this is way too crazy.... while were on the topic of Paddle stories...

#3 should remember about 1 year ago we were playing on the Sultan at little paradise. About halfway through our session I popped up from the banks with half of a werner paddle that was broken. Later that year the paddle was brought to the ppBall and we all got a good chuckle from it. It was a white bent shaft werner with a 425 phone number. I posted a few messages looking for the owner and called the number but there was never any response.

So a year later ... yesterday (1/18/07) I am in my garage with Jon Manges a local boater and skilled tradesman that is helping me with a remodel were relaxing in the garage chatting up a storm about the project when he looks up and almost has a heart attack.

He jumps up and down like only Jon does and then yells ... where did you get that Paddle DUDE!!!.... As it turns out 1 1/2 years prior he had been on the sultan and lost his boat and paddle. His phone number was changed a month afterwards and thus the story completes it self. So here we are in my Garage, Jon holding on to half of his old paddle and looking at his hand writing on the paddle ....

We both took a step back and went ... wow how crazy is that.... Anyone want to take a stab at those possibilities.... I only met jon like 5 months ago. When I found the paddle I did not even know who he was... All the same ... paddle half is at home and Jon is looking for someone that wants a custom handcrafted C1 paddle, Made to Order!

Oh and too complete the journey here is a link to the original post that I made when i was looking for the owner.

Notice Blums wonderful suggestion to call the phone number... Thanks Jon for that amazing insight... I hope you are helping the costa ricans as much as you assisted in this matter .

Edited by James - 18 Jan 2007 at 2:03pm
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 2:30pm

I do remember that, so much for making a trophy out of it and giving it away at the PP ball...

ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version