Professor Paddle: Green River Cleanup Run vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Green River Cleanup Run Post Reply Post New Topic
The OAC
WW Industry
WW Industry

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The OAC Replybullet Topic: Green River Cleanup Run
    Posted: 02 May 2006 at 2:20pm

This run will coincide with the Green River cleanup.  Expect to hop out of your boat to bag some trash along the way (you will NOT need to pack trash out, that's what rafts are for).  Run will be from Kanaskat Palmer to Flaming Geyser.  Meet at 11 at Kanaskat Palmer State Park.

This run will get us down to Flaming Geyser conveniently near the time of the FOG BBQ ($5 donation, all you can eat).

Jeff

The OAC is a private username and is not connected with the good folks at the OAC kayak shop, who are in no way responsible for ranting, soap boxing, or mud slinging conducted under this name.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
avidyaker
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote avidyaker Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2006 at 2:34pm

Good job Jeff...I'll be joining you and I'm sure Mike will be with me

Alan

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
brentb
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote brentb Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2006 at 9:49am

Jeff -- I'm interested, too, but had a couple of questions:

1.  This would be my first time in the upper gorge (I've done the Headworks through the lower take out in Kanasket Palmer and lower gorge from the cemetery put in to Flaming Gorge and am comfortable in Class III with occasional Class IV).  Would this be a good day and (likely) water level for my first time?

2.  I need to be back in Seattle by around 5 pm -- do you think that will be possible?

Thanks-

Brent

tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2006 at 10:52am

Brent,  If your comfortable in class III you should have no problem at this level.  In my opinion, Pipeline (I think the best line is left of center) is the hardest rapid in the upper gorge (not Mercury and the Nozzle).  At levels below 1500cfs or so, Mercury and the nozzle feel like class III- moves to me (but they get a class IV rating because of the length of the rapid and consequenses of a swim on river right).  The rapid isn't pushy and there are no big waves or holes to avoid at the current levels.  As levels rise over 2000cfs, it is a different story. 

Have fun!

brentb
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote brentb Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2006 at 4:38pm
I definitely want to do this, but am worried I might not get back to Seattle in time.  Alan/Jeff or anyone else going on this trip -- any chance we could meet in morning at Flaming Geyser (say 10:30) so I could hitch a ride to the put-in with you and leave my car at Flaming Geyser?  That way I would feel pretty confident in being able to get back to Seattle by 5.  If not, no biggie, I may join the crew doing the MM tomorrow AM.  Thanks for letting me know.

Brent
brentb
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote brentb Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2006 at 6:07pm

Sorry for all of the postings -- I've decided to do the MM trip tomorrow, since I know it will be easy for me to get back to Seattle in time.  I'll save the gorge for another day --

Brent

The OAC
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote The OAC Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2006 at 9:25pm

Sorry I didn't get to these posts earlier...

Unless anyone really wants to run all the way down to Flaming Geyser we will probably pull out at Paradise.  We have a shuttle driver so either way just meet at Kanaskat Palmer.  You should have no problem getting to Seattle by 5 even going all the way to Kanaskat Palmer.  Any questions, give me a call.

Jeff

(425)753-3735

The OAC is a private username and is not connected with the good folks at the OAC kayak shop, who are in no way responsible for ranting, soap boxing, or mud slinging conducted under this name.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version