Professor Paddle: Local Thieves .... Lesson Time vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Lost \ Found \ Stolen
 Professor Paddle : Classifieds : Lost \ Found \ Stolen
Message Icon Topic: Local Thieves .... Lesson Time Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Local Thieves .... Lesson Time
    Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 10:44am
I am posting this message in hopes that we can help Chris Joosse a local paddler that has been the target of a WW Thief.

Quote from Email
This is probably pointless, but most of my personal boating gear was stolen out of the back of my truck this week and if you hear of someone obviously not a boater trying to sell it, I'd love to hear about it:

• New orange Astral 300r rescue vest
  • Rescue Knife
  • Spectra front-pocket throwbag for Astral Vest
  • Cowtail
  • New SnapDragon Riot skirt
  • Sweet Rooster helmet
  • Kokotat Gore-tex whirlpool drytop, blue, size XL
  • 75' Spectra throwbag
  • 4 locking carabiners, assorted climbing gear for pin kit
  • Carbon Waterstick Zen paddle
  • Neoprene pants
  • 3 pairs of gloves
  • misc fleece
  • my creekin' shoes
...and all in my black Phat Eddy cockpit mesh gear bag.

I can be easily reached in the following ways:

chrisj@winisp.net
(206) 484-1274

Edited by James
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 10:52am
First I can honestly say that it has been pretty cool seeing what the boating community has done for past victims of theft. I have known people that have lost wallets to cars and just about everytime people step up and help out.

The more we stick together and help each other out the tighter of a group we will become. That means it will be harder to sell our gear, and it will be harder to get away with it.

The bottom line is that the Police are not ever going to make it a mission to prevent thefts from White Water Boaters. Not that they should, were a small group and we have to take this on our own.

If you have any extra gear that seems close to the list above that you are willing to part with,  let Chris know. I honestly don't know if he will even want people to offer him replacements, but I do know that it is really cool when people group together to offer support.
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 2:24pm

Man that really sucks!  Do you know where he was when his gear was stollen?

Courtney

Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 2:29pm

As someone who deals with vehicle prowls, theft, and stolen property every day, here are a few things you can do to limit the chances of loosing your gear and help the cops catch the sh%theads who stole it.

Record all serial numbers and keep them in a safe place. If something does not have a serial number on it, write your name, initials, anything on it to identify it as yours. Give this info to the cops when your gear is stolen. I can't tell you how many times I have stopped cars that I KNEW had stolen property in them, got permission to search the car, and came up with nothing because I couldn't show that the items the person had in the car were the items that someone else had reported stolen. Even if a cop does recover your property, if he can't show that it is yours, it is almost impossible to return the item to you. The cops will probably never catch the person who stole your gear by proving they stole your gear, we normally get them for possession of stolen property.

If it is stolen, report it. A large part of deciding what areas get patrolled or get special details comes from the number of calls for service we get in any given area. If someone is working an area hard and we know about it, you can bet we will go after him (that's the fun part of the job!). Also if it isn't reported stolen, then the cops can't recover it. Get a case number from the officer. Stolen property reports go into a statewide database. This makes it harder for thieves to take your stuff out of county and sell it.

If your gear has been stolen, call up any store in the area that deals in used goods, and anyplace that buys scrap material if the item is made out of something recyclable. Tell them what was taken and describe it to them with as much detail as possible. Give them the case number. Visit these shops as often as you can and see what new merchandise might have made its way into the store's inventory. The cops won't do this because there are too many of these shops, and too few of us. Also, report the item stolen BEFORE you hit the shops.

Get the word out that your gear was stolen.

We need to look out for one another. If you see something that doesn't look right, it probably doesn't look right for a reason. This is a valid reason to call 911. It will generate a "suspicious" complaint and the cops will come out to take a look. Some of my best arrests have come from somebody getting a bad feeling about a guy and calling it in. If you come across an obvious vehicle prowl and the suspect has already left, go ahead and report it even if it was not your car. They might not send an officer out until the owner reports it, but it does help to establish a timeline. Most importantly, if you see a suspicious person hanging around an area, don't park there!

If your wallet was stolen as part of the deal then you are the victim of identity theft. Talk to the officer about what you need to do to protect yourself.

DO NOT LEAVE KEYS IN THE IGNITION, AND LOCK YOUR DAMN DOORS!!!! This is more of a problem with reasonable people than you would think. Also if you are going to leave your keys under your tires, somewhere in the undercarriage, or in a magnetic box on the car; you may as well leave them in the ignition with the doors unlocked.

As much as possible, do not leave valuables in the car. If you can't take them with you at least hide them. Don't leave extra boats on roof racks.

I am not trying to rub salt into anyone's wounds here by saying its the victim's fault. Blame<

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 6:48pm

good advice. as far as paddling gear is concerned, i still tend toward the nievete of believing that "boaters don't steal from each other and non-boaters don't value paddling gear." this is sobering indeed.

I would very much like to know where the gear was stolen from (where was the truck parked?).

several years ago i had my bike cable locked to a tree near Bumbershoot. The cable was cut and the bike was gone. I followed many of the sugestions provided by Kyle: I reported the bike right away, though I was completely pessemistic and cynical that the Police would do anything. Of course nothing came of it, and a year later I had forgotten about it.

My friend Paul was at a pawn shop in Redmond near his home, looking a a mountain bike. "$400 for a Kona Cindercone! WAIT! I can't buy this bike! It's JON'S bike!" While the shop owner was in the back room, Paul dutifully wrote down the serial number. Later that evening he showed up at my house and told me what he discovered. Excited as hell, I immediately dug up my original bill of sale with the serial #, and it matched exactly!

The next morning, before the Pawn shop opened, I called up the Redmond P.D. They contacted Seattle P.D., dug up the case # for my report, and later I met an officer at the pawn shop and began the process of getting my prized ride back. It turned out to have been stolen by a crackhead from Fed way. I had to replace the chain and tune it up, but basily it was ok. I think he got $50 for it.

The story's happy endding should illustrate that one should never give up hope, and reporting stolen gear is not a bad idea at all. It may help you get it back.

JP

Edited by wetmouse
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 9:35pm
How about we set up some bait cars, traps and high powered rifles and start making examples of these scum bags, like the old days, bring back the old days and lets have some good old shoot the bad guy fun! Then we can go back to hugging trees.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 12:00am
Dave,

We could set up web cams on the bait cars so we have solid cases for the shootings too. Perhaps we could put a small chicken or friendly looking rodent in the car and then say we were protecting it.

Perfect ... we could do this on Sat.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 12:01am
Doh.... Why am I contributing to your mis leading of this thread..

This is to help Chris Joosse get his stinking gear back.

Read the list above and lets help him out.

I am going to hook him up with a skirt and gloves and some drytop, but it is not goretex :(

Who else is out there?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:44am
Sorry, I got carried away.

Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 11:10am
I think I have a pair of "my creekin' shoes"... :-) Sorry James, couldn't help
myself....
JHB
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 6:07pm

Dave, you ARE dangerous! remind me never to steall any potato chips from you during a shuttle.

jp

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 11:31pm
How many post's does it take to get yo the center of the universe!??
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
cronar
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote cronar Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2007 at 7:21am
James, how about giving a date for when Chris' s gear was stolen?  The message that you included in the start of the thread is from the message he posted on Seattlekayaker last year.

I understand we're all upset about having our vehicles broken into and our possessions stolen.  It sucks on many levels.  However, I think presenting something that happened in the past as a present occurence is not right and just fans the flames of ignorance.  Chris J is a big boy and he will post on his own if he lost or had stolen gear.

We're not a minority in the carprowl arena, anyone going into the backcountry is at risk.  The police really do try and do something about it when they can.  And Wiggins has given some good points to protect ourselves.  I've seen the police show up at the MM takeout in the past after the breakins got so bad.  Come to find out it was one of the local kids on that road doing the jobs.  Guess living in a million dollar home wasn't enough.
-N
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2007 at 9:54am
Nick,

This was not reposted. Chuck E Fresh just likes posting silly messages on random threads. So this one was brought up as a Thread with a new post on it. The original post was made in Feb, and the only post that has been made on this thread in the last year, are yours and Chuck E's.... well and now this one. By the way this crap is driving me nuts O chuckie... Please stop that, your killin me.

If you look right above the post you will see a little "Posted: Date" That should tell you when it was posted or edited last.

As for reposting a message from Seattle Kayaker... I am not sure how trying to get the word out in multiple places is bad. You might disagree but our groups really do have different people in them, and there is a good amount of people here that are not there and visa versa. I asked Chris and he said it was fine. But then again I apparently should have asked you if it was ok to repost his missing gear. Don't be too harsh Nick, I think he just forgot that your his daddy, and that he should be doing things on his own like you said.

~J
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2007 at 3:51pm
fine!
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
cronar
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote cronar Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2007 at 4:09pm
Thanks James.  Sorry, yep the date is listed right there and I missed it.  No probs.  Go ahead repost all you want. I'm chalking it up to no caffeine this morning as a result of teh epic skiing yesterday.  The snow pack is in excellent shape.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version