Professor Paddle: Seafair 2005 <-- Paddle Power vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Seafair 2005 <-- Paddle Power Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Seafair 2005 <-- Paddle Power
    Posted: 05 Aug 2005 at 12:27pm
I remember the day I got my first boat. It was two days before Seafair 2003. I recall running down to the lake so I could learn how to roll, not just because I wanted to get out on the river. It was because Seafair was coming up and I wanted to be able to paddle out in the log boom and have a blast. Well that weekend I had my first Seafair experience in a White Water Kayak. It was killer.

The next year which was 2004 (last year) I did it again. Me and a buddy took our boats to mercer Island then paddled out to enjoy the events. Now alot of you are probably thinking ... that is really stupid or that is really crazy... and yes I suppose you could be correct. But then again most people think whitewater kayaking is stupid and crazy too. Hucking off a big drop into a nasty hole freaks me out way more than seafair. Here is a short run down of what we did last year and what I am doing this year.

Last Year (Seafair 2004)

We started out on mercer island at a small park that is just south of 1-90. We had a nice little lunch and farted around until the blue angels showed up for the show. At the time of the blue angels all boats are cleared off the water and I-90 is shut down. Swimmers are grounded on the beach and the coast gaurd and other patrols are activly enforcing the no boat zone. However non-motorized vessels can go up too 100 meters off shore. This makes kayaking the hotest seat in the house for watching the show. The jets are actually right above your head as they roar by over and over again.

After the Blue angels finish up there is a 10 minute clearing time that no boats are allowed south of I-90. During this time we started paddling out to the log boom area. All of the boats have a no-wake limit which makes greatly elevates the level of safty while you are out there. You can expect giant waves and areas of calm water as big yahtchs cruise by and hordes of partiers proceed to throw you beers and dance for you. Promotional boats are throwing free gear at people like t-shirts, towels, coolers, beer holders etc... Most of the time they miss the target and it is of course ideal to be in a kayak. I think I must have rounded up over 40 items during last year. I think proceeded to barter with the local vessels for frosty beverages and other tasty treats. Tricks and Rolls are almost gaurenteed to earn you favor amoung these local hoodlum's. Of course there is also something for everyone at Seafair.

If you don't like the crazyness they have areas where less alcohol is consumed, here you will find the 50+ foot yahtchs full of executives toasting to the sun and enjoying lobster brisque while watching thier rowdy neighbors make fools of themseleves. Interestingly enought, they like the kayakers just as much. Last year I scored a whole veggie platter and a bottle of champagne from a nice boat that liked simple rolls.

If you do like crazyness head out past the log boom where the partiers go that did not want to drop a few hundred dollars for a slip spot on the boom. Here you will find rampant consumption of alcohol and crazy amounts of people throwing water ballons and fighting with squirt guns. Beware they will flash you and splash you because the are almost all there just to have FUN.

Here are the three tips that every kayaker at
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2005 at 3:13pm

Sounds like fun, but unfortunatly, I'm out of town this weekend. Hopefully I can go next year!

Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2005 at 3:32pm

Great idea! If I wasn't heading down to the While Salmon, I'd be watching the Angels with the part boats.  Have fun!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
DougH
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Skiing, kayaking, backpacking, fishing, rugby, video games

Quote DougH Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 2005 at 5:37pm
Hehe, hope you had a great time! I was out on the lake with the folks and some friends, and kept wondering what it would be like to get towed in a kayak behind the boat and hop the wake! Maybe next year. :)
Sphincter pucker-upper.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version