Professor Paddle: Skook surfing last chance summer vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Skook surfing last chance summer Post Reply Post New Topic
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: Skook surfing last chance summer
    Posted: 04 Aug 2005 at 10:22am
O.K., I'm posting another Skook trip. The tides look good and the weather should be also. If nobody commits, I may not go so post if you are serious. My master plan this time is to avoid the 2 mile trail altogether, I'm going to bring my sea kayak and tow my playboat to the wave during the slack tide and leave it there overnight, then just shuttle back and forth with my sea kayak both days. Then stay till the tide mellows out Saturday night and tow it back, leaving early sunday morning for home. It's alot easier to paddle a sea kayak than walk that trail! Just be carefull of the tide direction and flow. The wave should form around 4 or 5 pm so slack is around 4? I really have to study the tide info this time, you cant tell untill you get out on the water, but if you leave to early you can always sit on the rocks somewhere and wait a while. Remember, be safe, don't paddle against the ebb tide, it will kick your but and possibly (most likely) drown you, even in a sea kayak. This will be an awsome trip if more people show, hot summer in August surfing big waves around a beutifull mountain setting, its like paradise! I just called the Egmont Resort and they are booked up for that weekend, so I'll have to find alternate place to stay, to bad, it's really easy to stay there and hit the wave.

Edited by dave
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2005 at 11:10am
I found a B&B to stay at near the Egmont so I'm going for sure, but I may not sea kayak to the wave since I might be bringing my girlfriend (non-kayaker). The wheels on the kayak go round and round, oh boy. Bring wheels for the trail! I'm still paddling my playboat in on friday.   O.K., I guess she cant go so the master plan is back in effect.

Edited by dave
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2005 at 3:44pm
hey Dave,

Nice Job with all the research.

I am planning on going I just have to make sure this wedding I am in is not on the same weekend. If I go I will be renting a little boat probably to do some fishing and putting around. Let me know what you think. I would rather motor out there than paddle!

James
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2005 at 6:54pm
Dude, yes, a motor boat would rock, then we wouldn't have to wait as long for the tide to change. we could also go explore during the day, since you can't surf until later afternoon. I would be glad to chip in.
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2005 at 9:34am
I am in Dave

The wedding I am in is on August 25th the next weekend. So we can't get stuck at the border ok...

Sweet ... I will start looking for Motor Boats we can rent.
ccar14
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Mountain biking, road cycling, tri's

Quote ccar14 Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2005 at 12:22pm

Hey guys,

Just curious what sight your looking at for flows?  I thought that skook was running August 26th through the weekend.  Maybe it's running both weekend.

Cherish

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2005 at 2:54pm
Basically look for the full moon and thats when the wave will form. Full moon on the 19th= good wave. At 6:00 pm the 19th the flow will be 15.97 max flood. That meens you can start surfing around 4:00 pm and wach it build. On the 25th max flood is at around 11:00am and only 10.16 knots= not good enough to form very big wave. Usually the wave will stay around for 4 to 5 days from what I here from the locals. The web site for flow is http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi

Edited by dave
Nomad
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2005 at 9:00am
I really hope I can go, I will know more that week. But if I can, I would like to carpool if possible.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 2:07pm
You can ride with me bro, any time just let me know as we get closer to the date!

j berry
Paddler
Paddler

Quote j berry Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 3:51pm

ok sorry for souding really lame here but is this trip for ocean wave surfing or for some knid of freak wave that forms and the end of the river at high tide??? because eithier way its sound like fun and I will go If the trip gets back by the 23rd I think a carpool would be in order to save on gas

Jeremy

Edited by j berry
Brandon
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Brandon Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 10:08pm
Okay, I'm stoked about this.  I definitely want to be part of a carpool, way to long to go by yourself.

I was there once a couple years ago and had a great time. 
Jeremy, it's a wave that forms because of the tide, up a couple miles in a fjord.  (Thus the reason it's effected by the moon)

Looking forward to it.

~Brandon

Any recommendations on boats for the wave? -- I just bought a crazy 88, I've only tried it once.  I'm used to surfing larger waves in my LL hoss (it's a good surf boat with a flat bottom, just not a playboat)
Thanks --
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 12:39pm
Surf and playboats are great on the wave, people even surf sea kayaks on it!
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 12:46pm
A little tide study I did, Max flood on friday the 19th is at 5:58pm 15.97 knots you can start surfing at around 3:00-3:30pm. On saturday the 20th max is at 6:28pm 15.74 knots, start surfing at 4:00pm. Should be fun!
Nomad
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 3:22pm

I am willing to carpool if anyone wants to leave arround noon on Friday.  I probably will come up and hang out - I am not a big salt water fan, but the country up there is beautiful.

Are people camping or staying in lodging?

Brandon
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Brandon Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 9:59pm
I'd prefer to camp, presuming it's available.  I'm basically for whatever lodging is cheapest.   Does anybody know if there are camping sites around - or is the lodge the only way to go? 

When is everybody leaving?  I don' t think I'd be able to leave much before Friday 3 or 4 ish.  (I can push it if up a bit if I need to, but would prefer not to leave my manager high and dry.  )

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 11:11pm
I am going to try and make the wave on friday, but I am not positive yet that I can I will know for sure tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it!!!!
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 2:27pm
I'd like to split the ferry and gas costs, so if anyone wants to carpool, please let me know.  I'd like to leave arround noon tomorrow.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 5:35pm
I'll be there for sure Friday afternoon. Paddling my sea kayak out, towing my playboat, then going to try and paddle sea kayak back for dinner against the flood around 8:00pm. Lets sea how strong I am. Staying at Wendy's on Secret bay B&B, just down the street from the Egmont resort, driving Red Ford Ranger with homemade boat rack bolted to bed rails. I'm solo, so stop and say high. My phone doesn't work there. Sat night should be fun, be there all night till around 9:00pm or later. Got to leave Sunday morning early.
Nomad
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 6:13pm

If anyone is going friday morning and has room for 1 bum + kayak and gear, please give me a call.   206-229-2141.

I would of course pay some for gas and ferry. Or I would be willing to drive if someone else were willing to pay for gas and ferry. But if I am going to go that far I want to surf Both Friday and Saturday which means leaving early Friday.

Edited by Larry
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 10:16pm

I am bringing my kayak, and may or may not surf on Saturday, but do plan on taking an AM (7 ish) ferry off Bainbridge.  If you want to split gas and ferry costs, and you live in the metro, I could accomodate you.  I plan on leaving Sunday afternoon, and have lodging arranged for Saturday night, but will probably camp on Friday night.

If this works for you, feel free to call me tonight at 206-618-6253.

-Leif

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version