Professor Paddle: Misleading Readings vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: Misleading Readings Post Reply Post New Topic
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Courtney Replybullet Topic: Misleading Readings
    Posted: 27 May 2005 at 5:57pm

Hi James,

I'm a bit confused at two river readings.  I was thinking of going to the either the Sauk or the Stilly tomorrow since I saw them as being "runnable" on the gauge reading.  Something told me to just check the guide book against this so I did.  I noticed the reading for the Sauk (Whitechuck to Darrington) was running about 3500 on the AW site as well as yours.  However the guide book says to take 50% of the reading "Sauk at Sauk".  The Real Time Data also read 3500 at Sauk at Sauk so I knew that the run I wanted did not have enough water in it to run. 

Then I thought about the South Fork of the Stillaguamish - Riverbar to Verlot.  I know you don't have this particular run in your readings but the levels that would be associated to this run were also confusing.  It read 1070 cfs which is runnable but the book says to take 80% of that which makes it too not runnable.  Is there any way to make it clear that when a reading is taken and the reading says the river is runnable that it actually is?  Is there a way to take the 80% or 50% of the recommended reading so we can get the actual river level for that particular section of river. 

This may be wishful thinking but I thought I'd ask.  I almost drove out there thinking these rivers were runnable but instead did more research and even drove by the Stilly this afternoon.  You could barely run an innertube down it.

Thanks for listening,

Courtney

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2005 at 8:17pm
courtney,

The stilly, as you have found out, is obviously too low. The Sauk, however, I bet is running. I'd give that a shot if I were you.

Dylan
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2005 at 8:19pm
P.S.

I think that the Sauk is a better bet because it has a more productive headwaters and drainage area than the Stilly.

Dylan
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2005 at 4:06am
I am not exactly clear of what the problem is.

Are the gauges incorrect for a certain run?
Or are you looking for gauges that I don't have?

Try to help me understand so I can fix the problem. THanks alot for helping out.
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2005 at 7:51am

Well both.

The run on the Sauk from Whitechuck to Darrington is wrong.  The reading is being taken from Sauk at Sauk on the USGS site and from Whitechuck to Clear Creek / Clear Creek to Darrington on the ACA site as with your site.  So let's say the reading is 3000.  That is a runnable level.  However - the guide book say to take 50% of that reading to get the real level for those particular runs so now it's actually running only 1500 for those sections which is not a runnabel level according to "A Guide to the Whitewater Rivers of Washington" book. 

As for the Stilly run, Riverbar to Verlot, that is not on your river list and I would like it to be if you can put it there.  But - if you decide to put it on there the reading is being taken taken from the South Fork of the Stilly on the USGS site and the Robe Canyon section on the ACA site as well as your site and should only read 80% of that reading.  So if it says it's running 1000 cfs, take 80% of that which is 800 cfs, to get the real reading for that section of river.  

I hope all of that makes sense.  

Thanks to those for the feedback that the Sauk may still be running.  According to the book it's right at the lowest runnabel level.  It would be nice to do something different even though it's low but I've made other plans and it would be rude of me to change them at the last minute.  Anyway their cell phone doesn't work where they're at right now.  Bummer.

Courtney

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2005 at 1:28pm
Courtney,

Ok so here is what I am going to do. I have been looking around for my copy of the washington rivers by bennett, and I can't find it anywhere. I am going to go get another copy and either change the gauge to the correct one or create a new virtual gauge for that run. It is not that I don't believe you, but rather I would like to be sure that it is done correctly and if I make a mistake I would rather have made it on my own that with others involved, because alot of people use this site and I don't take that lightly.

For those that wonder why I have not put up virtual gauges, here is my reason.
Alot of runs that have virtual gauges on them, are not always correct. As with any river the gauges can be off and should never be taken as 100%, but with virtual gauges it is totally different. They are often incorrect due to the different types of water accumulation (Snowfall, Rain, Release etc...)  and they are really only useful to people that know the river and know when to run it and not. This means that only people that don't need the gauge should be the ones using it. So I never wanted to put them up. I have since changed my view a bit, and I would like to add them to the site. So if anyone has objections to listing virtual gauges lets hear it now before I do the work.

Thanks courtney, I will let you know when I have made the changes.
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2005 at 3:14pm

Thanks James.  I understand you wanting to be 100% before doing anything and I appreciate you looking into it.  If you can do something about it then great.  If not I understand. 

Courtney

Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2006 at 1:53am
James,

I agree with the virtual gauges... I think you should put them up with an
astericks or other noting that they are virtual and should not be trusted.
Thanks for coming tonight.. it meant a lot to me. Later,
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2006 at 1:54am
oh, and you should force me to login before I can post.. this guest thing is
bullsh*t... b**tpirate... haha
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version