Professor Paddle: New Site Idea vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: New Site Idea Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: New Site Idea
    Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 5:59pm
As everyone should know by now, I am willing to build what ever you want into this site. I am always looking for ways to make it the coolest site we can have for paddling in washington, of course that starts with your feedback.

Here is my latest idea for the site.

Ok so I would build a script that allows you to set a phone number or email address and when a certain river that you pick hits a level that you pick, you get an email or a text message on your phone telling you  about  the current level of that river.  This would take a bit of work, but if you want it I will build it. That of course means that if no one is interested I will leave it be. Look forward to hearing feedback about that one.

James
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2005 at 8:43am
I would think the easiest way to do this would be to ask the user for a phone number and network. You'd have to figure out what networks have what email address and then create the email address to send messages to their phone so it would be something like 2065551212@tmobile.net. Then you could add to the stored proc that gets called to check for trips that have just ended to have it look for trigger events that users have setup, this could be a big query. Then if you have sql mail setup you can send the email from sql or you can send it from the guage service, but you want to be careful not to slow down the guage updating.

There are probably other ways to accomplish the same thing, but this is an idea that would work, but could need some tweaking because it might affect other things.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2005 at 5:54pm
Thanks there Mic,

For others that might read this post, the point of this thread is really not to find out how to build this or other tools, it is more to find out if I should invest any of my time into this tool/idea. I have tons of ideas that I think are cool but the general concensus is that if people don't use them, they are pointless. And so far not to many people have given feedback. This leads me to believe that I should put a hold on building more stuff into the site.

I appreciate the feedback Mic. If you have more technical idea's feel free to send me an email.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version