Professor Paddle: Best class 2+/- running now? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Best class 2+/- running now? Post Reply Post New Topic
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: Best class 2+/- running now?
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:32pm
Thinking of trying section above middle middle Snoqualmie with my 10yo son...
That or powerhouse. Anything longer or more fun with no wood hazards that can't be easily avoided?
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 12:42am
Section above Middle Middle was awesome. I'd like to know of other runs like it.
Getting too low soon, but it was pretty, lots of eddies to catch and minimal wood hazards.
H2O please
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 2:11pm
The SF Sky is absolutely gorgeous and class 2!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 2:15pm
The Wenatchee has a class 2 section from Lake Wenatchee to Tumwater CG. It sounds like there's 16 miles of it! Never been on it, so I can't report about wood. Put the first part (take out in Plain) is the chiller of the 2 sections. From Plain to the takeout is more class 2 action and scenery from what I've been told.
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

DanWest
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote DanWest Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 5:00pm
Oh yes! The Sauk - SO gorgeous... Yesterday at 1110 CFS I paddled from Clear Creek down to Darrington Mill. Only 3 miles, but really fun II+   Easy choices: just stay left at every island.

You could do it twice or plan to take out at way down at Sauk Park, or a little sooner: the Bridge just after The Suiattle joins in.

The BEST was the 9 miles further up: from Bedal Campground to Whitechuck. The Sauk is still crystal before the glacial till of The Whitechuck blends in.    But be warned: the very last run, in sight of the bridge, is probably a IV... (That sound right?, those in The Know?). But it's short and we just swam out after our inevitable flips...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BUZZ
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote BUZZ Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:27am
I would recommend the Sauk as well. Never done the lower, but seen lots of photos recently and it sounds like a great class II.

As for the upper, yes the rapid right near the takeout is more difficult. I would call it class III. It is a low gradient boulder garden. The upper has beautiful mountain views but it is also pretty woody and getting pretty low currently. Probably pretty similar to the upper middle snoqualmie.

Edited by BUZZ - 10 Jul 2018 at 8:31am
DanWest
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote DanWest Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:28pm
Buzz - when we went down Sunday, there was a scrape or three, so it would be nicer with a little more flow, which, today, now, is up to 1220...

Re wood: never had to carry, though there were maybe four times where attention was mandatory to make the right choices. When isn't it?!? And the first few miles have some stuff that was the hardest I've negotiated, after lower Sky, both forks of the Stilly, and that lower Sauk from Clear Creek, all agreed upon as Class II mostly, so that upper upper Sauk must be at least II+ or III-.... But relative to all of it, the boulders and drop at the end was something else for sure. Really fun and intense for where we're at. There's a foot trail leads to right above it and I want to spend a day looping that section before the water is gone.

Buzz - have you paddled down from Whitechuck yet? How do those sections compare to the drop above the bridge?
BUZZ
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote BUZZ Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:06am
Yup, I"ve paddled the section below whitechuck. I'd say it's mostly III+. It is a significant step up from the last rapid on the upper. I think you have the right idea - lap that rapid until you are comfortable, then you can think about doing the whitechuck down section.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:45am
Originally posted by DanWest

Oh yes! The Sauk - SO gorgeous... Yesterday at 1110 CFS I paddled from Clear Creek down to Darrington Mill. Only 3 miles, but really fun II+   Easy choices: just stay left at every island.

You could do it twice or plan to take out at way down at Sauk Park, or a little sooner: the Bridge just after The Suiattle joins in.

The BEST was the 9 miles further up: from Bedal Campground to Whitechuck. The Sauk is still crystal before the glacial till of The Whitechuck blends in.    But be warned: the very last run, in sight of the bridge, is probably a IV... (That sound right?, those in The Know?). But it's short and we just swam out after our inevitable flips...

The last rapid on the upper Sauk is called Rocky Road. It's a pretty long rapid and is a legit class 3. It definitely stands out from other rapids on the run. At high water it is pushing class 4.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 9:07pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I've found that the Skagit (S bends) is perfect!

Two big wave trains and one easy to avoid hole with big recovery and lapping potential.

Real short notice but we will be there tomorrow around noon if anybody wants to join.
H2O please
DanWest
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote DanWest Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 9:16pm
Dude! I’m in.   I had some excellent Class III honing last weekend on The Wenatchee, and have been eyeing that Skagit as The Next Big Thing. But want to do it with some companeros!

Noon, then At the put in? (Goodell Creek boat launch), or the take out, and we can coordinate shuttles from there? I take my plated dirt bike in the back of my pickup, so I can self-shuttle, or...

Takeout
At mile 111.7 on Highway 20 there is a dirt road (NPS Road 213) leading south to the river (it's just before you reach the Ross Lake Recreation Area sign). Follow the dirt road and take the left fork to a takeout about 200 yards from the highway. Parking options are limited here. Leave room for others including commercial rafting groups that use the takeout. If you have a large group, extra vehicles should be parked at the put-in.
- Retired: all the time in The World to play, but most of my buddies work... Seeking weekday paddlers..!!!
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 8:11am
I sent you a PM...
We put in just before S bends and took out just after last time.

Edited by Travisimo - 30 Jul 2018 at 12:33am
H2O please
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version