Professor Paddle: Metro vs. Urban Renewal vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Metro vs. Urban Renewal Post Reply Post New Topic
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Topic: Metro vs. Urban Renewal
    Posted: 24 Nov 2006 at 1:11pm
I'm stuck at work on the Friday after Thansging and bored so I tried to do a little poll (but no longer seem to have access to that feature) so...

In the interest of generating a good debate, killing some time, and being a thorn in James' side I am posing a question.  A rapid in Upper Tumwater Canyon known as Metro (below the Green bridge but above the Swiftwater Picnic area) was totally reconfigured due to a mudslide during highwater this spring. 

Before:

After:

The boulder Dan is standing on in the picture are in the old channel and the river is now about 1/2 as wide here with what appears to be a great play wave above 3000cfs in the Peashastin gauge. 

My question is this: Should the rapid name be changed from Metro to Urban Renewal?  Dan (SuperSpa) and I proposed this name after running it.  I have no idea if we were the first, my guess is some local ran it first, but I think it is a great name that pays homage to the old one while aknowledging that it is a totaly new rapid.  What do you all think?  Come on, there hasn't been a good debate on this site since the Freedom or Facism thread.
Let the games begin!    

Edited by tradguy2 - 24 Nov 2006 at 1:16pm
... preparing for a river beating!     
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2006 at 7:17pm
I think you're forgetting the debate over JPs skykomish experience, tom.  Furthermore, seeing as I am bored, I vote that you keep stirring the pot
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2006 at 8:09pm
Stirring the pot is great... as many know I am not one to shy away from a good boiling kettle. Of course this being said, a rapid is a rapid. Shifting of features and such does not warrant a new name. A good example would be Rubberneck on the Entiat. That feature completely changed from a class III+ to a -V. All of the change still does not warrant a new name. It will always be rubberneck. Now I obviously could have this all wrong, because I am a relatively new boater I would be interested to hear some feedback from the old timers. Tom, when I say old timers I am referring to the amount of time boating not the age of the paddler. Example: JP would qualify as an old timer, although he is certainly no old timer in age.

Oh and Yotes we all know about you and stirring the pot. The exception being that your usually stirring a cast Iron Pot that results in hot delights at the camp fire. Keep that type of strring up Too!
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 2006 at 8:47pm
James, if a boulder shifted in BD I would not suggest changing a name, but the rapid I am referring to is totally different and I'm not even sure where the name Metro came from, you have a question mark after it in the description. 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 2006 at 9:00pm
Tom, I really don't think that metro or urban renewal were the first names for this feature. I wrote metro? because if someone knew the original name I would have changed it. I have talked with quite a few folks and metro kinda stuck to it. I don't really care what it is called.

The rapids name in this case really does not matter. The simple fact is that once a feature is named you can not re-name it due to any amount of change. I could be way off, but that is my general understanding of the process. Rubberneck was my example. That is a rapid which is changed drastically, much more than Metro/urban/whatever, yet multiple groups have kept the name the same.

If you have your pants in a bind over naming a rapid or feature, I could suggest a few first D's you could go claim. Most of them are going to be a bit more challenging than our little class III debate here.

J
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2006 at 9:54am
James, I don't really care that much, I just keep going back to the well because you were so outraged the first time I mentioned it.  The fishing is good around here, a little trolling always gets you to bite. 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2006 at 10:26am
I don't ever recall being outraged, I think the appropriate term might be bewildered. Cmon Tom. Your no fisherman and you certainly don't get any witty credits or quip points for getting me to comment on this post. I think the only reason more people did not chime in is because it was so obviously fun & games. If you were serious I think alot more people would be concerned and interested in trying to help you see the error of your ways.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version