Professor Paddle: Upper Gauley vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper Gauley Post Reply Post New Topic
jcboaterboy
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jcboaterboy Replybullet Topic: Upper Gauley
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:06am
I ran the Upper Gauley twice this weekend - my first runs there since I was a fairly new boater (18 months in) in the year 2000 when I was 25.

It was sick to be there - such an amazing river and amazing experience. Get up there some time if you have the skills and desire and opportunity to get to wild WV.

Did a marathon (Upper, Middle and Lower, 26 miles) on Saturday - all in a play boat! - and another Upper run on Sunday.

Amazing!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:16am
Love me some Gauley. Ain't nothing like it.

My first time down was in the off season, probably right around 2000 and it was running 12-1300(2800 is standard release). I was probably paddling a Z. I was being pretty conservative(scared) but Matt had been promising me golden lines through all the rapids. There were over a dozen in our group and when we stopped on a large midstream rock to take a break, I was high up on the rock and happened to notice Matt(in his Perception 3D) slipping over the horizon line with Jay(in a Mr Clean C-1). They were both speed demons and I was never, ever going to catch up... ever. My guide... was gone. Luckily, another guide popped up that was a little more patient and not in so much of a hurry. Thanks Bruce(in an X C-1).

I'll echo the whole "Get thyself to the Gauley" thing.

Time it right and catch a bunch of the warm water dam release stuff from the Ottawa in Canada, to the Beaver, Moose, etc... in New York, Upper and Lower Yough in Maryland and PA.

...but the Gauley... it's quite the show...

https://youtu.be/2wktb6mAq-k

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version