Professor Paddle: best rafting training run? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: best rafting training run? Post Reply Post New Topic
matt a
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote matt a Replybullet Topic: best rafting training run?
    Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 2:19pm
Hey, I'm heading down the rogue next summer in July or August (lowish flows) and anticipate having some first timers at the oars. I'll take them for a weekend of training this spring, hopefully running laps both days.

My first training run was the play run on the Wenatchee, but its not exactly ideal: The water is bigger than is optimal for an intro; the type of water is very different than what they'll get on the Rogue and there's a fair amount of flat water (I.e. wasted time).

Suggestions? I'd be happy to spend both days on the same run, or maybe even better, an easier run on Day 1 and a harder one on day 2.

thanks much, matt

(fyi, I'm planning to take their boats down rainie falls for them and be ready to do the same if needed for blossom bar).
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:08pm
I recommend the Sauk. I think its similar enough to the Rogue although it doesn't have that tight swirly canyon stuff like above Blossom. You can do a sweet overnighter starting at Bedal and ending at Backman which offers lots of 2-3, and a couple friendly 3+ rapids. Also you can practice getting a feel for the loaded boat and camping on the river.
MORE RAIN PLEASE
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 10:49am
I can suvgest three different rivers that are a perfect training ground for ANY boater running Any craft:

The Skykomish,the Skykomish and the Skykomish.

Edited by jP - 21 Oct 2017 at 10:51am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version