Professor Paddle: New NOAA Forecasting System vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: New NOAA Forecasting System Post Reply Post New Topic
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NateW Replybullet Topic: New NOAA Forecasting System
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:12am
Do you want to geek out on river flow forecasting? In my travels on the internet, I found that NOAA has a new forecasting system online.

http://water.noaa.gov/about/nwm
You can read a bunch about what this system does, the most interesting thing is that it seems to provide flow forecasting for virtually every little creek that is shown on the map:

http://water.noaa.gov/map
I will say that the interface seems a little wonky at this point, you really have to hunt around with your pointer to get it to select the proper river. I do not see an easy way to bookmark a single river, so I'm not sure how useful it will be to replace the current forecasting pages. When I look at the flow forecast model here vs. the normal noaa forecast, the numbers are pretty different. Who knows if they are more accurate.

This could be a useful resource for estimating flows on places without gauges nearby.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:07am
I'm hoping we can figure out how to bookmark individual rivers, as, my old links are no longer working.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Coast2Coast
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Coast2Coast Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:18pm
Nice find Nate.

Did you see anything about a programmatic way to access river forecasts, like a public API? I did a quick take of the links you posted and it looks like there may be a couple FTP servers. It seems the current best option is downloading the csv from the river site on NWRFC.

-Blair
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version