Professor Paddle: Networking - Engineer Trying To Relocate to PNW vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Networking - Engineer Trying To Relocate to PNW Post Reply Post New Topic
abugliari
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote abugliari Replybullet Topic: Networking - Engineer Trying To Relocate to PNW
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:45am
Hey All,

My name is Ally, whitewater kayaker from New Hampshire looking to relocate with my partner to the PNW. Took a trip to the PNW last year and fell in love. I am looking to network a bit, as blind online applications haven't yielded much thus far.

About Us: We love kayaking, camping, biking, and skiing. The outdoors is where we spend most of our time, in our self-built sprinter van, Luna.

Brief Resume: I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering (minor biomechanics) with 5+ years industry experience - primarily in medical device and rehabilitation/injury prevention detection products. Experience in product development, quality assurance, and manufacturing.

If you are, or know any engineers, willing to chat with me please let me know. I am looking to network and ultimately land a job so we can head west.

Thanks all!
Ally Bugliari
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Butchv
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Butchv Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:47am
Ally,

I am the VP of Engineering for a 85 person structural/fluid/electrical analysis company. Only 13 of us are located in the PNW and our company does not seem to be a fit but I am happy to give you some ideas of places to look.

I moved here in 2001 from the NE and have enjoyed it immensely.

Butch
bobber2
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote bobber2 Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:49am
I'm an engineer at Philips in Bothell, WA.
haenisch024
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote haenisch024 Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:14pm
I'm also an engineer at Philips, only been there 6mo but seems to be a great company so check out their site. Bothell area is rich with med device so focus in on that area. Send me a PM if you want additional info...
abugliari
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote abugliari Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:06am
Thanks All! I got in touch with Butch, but would either of you from Philips mind getting in touch with me via email?
You can reach me at bugliari.a@gmail.com Thanks!
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:30pm
Hey - I consider myself an honorary NE boater since I was there from 05-08. I have some vivid memories from the 'Took at 12.5 feet. Best of luck on your search! I think you are literally and metaphorically heading in the right direction. Not an engineer myself but triple the recommendation to focus on Bothell if you specifically want to live in the Puget Sound area and stick with medical device companies.

-Other locations worth considering if you haven't already settled on the Puget Sound and/or are willing to branch out a bit career wise.

-Boise might be worth a scouting mission. Way more sunshine, waaaaaaaaay lower cost of living (standard suburban tract homes are north of $500K here these days), waaaaaaaaaaay less traffic to deal with, and its a whitewater mecca. Everyone I know that lives there loves it.

-Also consider Hood River. Pricey - but it's an outdoor rec fantasy land and I know that there are a least a handful of employers there that employ engineers (InSitu is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but there are at least a few more).

Also - traffic on all forums is down quite a bit these days so who knows if you'll get any leads or not, but it might be worth reaching out to other outdoor forums even if they aren't dialed into exactly the same outdoor niche. Washingtonflyfishing.com has lots of traffic and I get the sense that there are a fair number of tech/engineer types that frequent the site. Ditto for cascadeclimbers.com. Way less active these days - but when it was more active there was a pretty significant contingent of tech/engineer types that posted there.

Anyhow - best of luck. Hope to SYOTR.
-Jay
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version