Professor Paddle™ © Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages News & Reviews Rivers Trips Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum  
Message Icon Topic: Upper Sultan May 6th !!!!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
Fun Eli
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
Props: +14 / 0
  Quote Fun Eli Reply+1 props     bullet Topic: Upper Sultan May 6th !!!!!!
    Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 10:29pm
Alright folks, let's get some people out for this release! We get a little more water this time at 900cfs, which I think will be pretty sweet. Peak flows from the dam will be 10am-1pm with a ramp down at the end so you won't get stranded by running out of water if you are going slow. There is about a mile of river between the dam and the putin, so it does take a while for the water to get down there... but you have to hike in, so it takes a while for you to get down there too. Best bet is to start hiking a little before 10am so you get to the putin about the same time as the water. With that in mind, and given the surprisingly long shuttle, its probably best to have cars dropped at the takeout and start driving to the putin by 9am so you have time to unload boats, change into your gear, deal with waivers, etc. before it's time to start hiking. You can take out at the Power House, but the gate locks at 6pm, so I recommend getting a couple extra river miles and taking out at Trout Farm Road. Good place to meet up and consolidate shuttles regardless of which takeout you use is the Sultan Park and Ride (942 Stevens Pass Hwy, Sultan, WA), that way you can drop a car at the takeout and roll straight to the putin with gear and boats already loaded.

If you can commit to going, please go on the Snohomish PUD website and sign up.

http://www.snopud.com/PowerSupply/hydro/jhp/jhprecreation/whitewater.ashx?p=2118

We need a minimum of 6 people to sign up for this release to happen, but hopefully we can get at least twice that. If you are not sure you can/want to go, don't sign up on the website, but do be sure to print out and bring the waiver with you, as it's required for all boaters:

http://www.snopud.com/Site/Content/Documents/whitewater/WhitewaterRelease_415.pdf

If you are not familiar with the run, check it out here:

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2245/

or here:
http://www.professorpaddle.com/rivers/riverdetails.asp?riverid=633

It's a high quality run, with fantastic scenery, many miles of great whitewater, and well worth the effort. If you have solid class IV or greater skills, I highly recommend you show up and get your groove on. If you can commit to paddling the upper Sultan on May 6th, please sign up on the Snohomish PUD website and also post here so we know that we have enough people to make the release happen. I'll go first:

I'm signed up. Who else is in?

-Eli
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
outdoorjunkie88
Paddler
Paddler

Props: +13 / 0
  Quote outdoorjunkie88 Reply0 props     bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:58pm
Thanks for getting this out. It is an amazing run. I'll be out there, maybe not that early though.
Drew C.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jonnygriff
Paddler
Paddler

Props: +2 / 0
  Quote jonnygriff Reply0 props     bullet Posted: Yesterday at 8:35pm
I'm registered and ready to go
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version