Professor Paddle: Wenatchee 4K-4500 CFS worth the drive? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Wenatchee 4K-4500 CFS worth the drive? Post Reply Post New Topic
allijxn
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote allijxn Replybullet Topic: Wenatchee 4K-4500 CFS worth the drive?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:17am
Hi!

I've only seen the snatch at higher flows (loved it). We're looking for a fun beginner/intermediate surf run. Our drive time is about 4 hrs. Worth it at lower-runnable levels? It sounds like there are still a few decent waves at 4k, but any thoughts/beta would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:04am
Yes!! Still worth it! Happy Wave and Turkey Shoot will be in :) Have FUN!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:06am
The whole class 3 Wenatchee section is worth it. Check out the "House Run" below Exit too, it's got 2 great drops in it, with big pools between. Gives you a great big water feel with low consequence, not to mention stoke :)
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 4:15pm
I think the whole idea that the Wenatchee is somehow worthless once it's under 8k is pretty lame.

Seasonal playboaters and "Elitist" Wenatchee Raft Guides (Talk about an oxymoron) are largely responsible for propagating the myth that the Chee is no good at medium to low flows.

Its a great run all the way down to about 2,000 or less. Sure, less water = less Chee, no disputing that. I guess it comes down to your other paddling options and how they weigh against a drive to the east side.

Based on the limited word count of your post though I think it would fit the bill just fine. Grannies is always there in some way and I guarantee its not the only surfing to be found out there I happen to think its a fine flow. Megan's beta is spot on, BTW.

Plus, you got Sunshine, Bouldering, LEGIT TACOS...what more do you need?

Wanna scratch that class IV/V itch?
Icicle/Tumwater Double Feature just about always open for business form now till the melt reduces to 3k on the Peshastin guage later this summer.

Plus you got Bratwurst, Lederhosen , old ladies trying to look like the St. Pauly Girl, and more Nutcrackers than anyone would ever care to collect!

Need I say More?
Just make sure you say hi to the "Fresh Prince of Leavenworth" for me, hah!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 2:58pm
Local Wenatchee paddler here...

The trick to enjoying the ~3000-7000 CFS range is to bring a longer boat. You can still have fun on a 'real' playboat but the lack of hull speed makes catching the smaller/flatter waves that are more common in this range a bit tougher. I have a short playboat - a Molan, and a 4Fun (recent purchase). The extra hull speed of the Fun has made things so much fun at these levels. I've come to the realization that the short playboats have been bad for playboating - at least on the Wenatchee. Most people (myself included) don't have the skills to do the tricks they were designed for. Additionally, the small boats cannot catch nearly as many waves that are still very fun.

Here are the highlights that have been in lately:
Rodeo hole - couple of surfs here, but pretty unremarkable compared to further downstream.

Drunkards - Hawaii 5.0 - this has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years, Very good surf in the last few days. Start river left and drop right into the meat of the pile, surf left and get onto the green wave.

Drunkards - Jacuzzi wave (river right waves). A couple of waves here that can be really good depending on the level.

Turkey shoot - always in, great beginner surf.

Grannies - Two waves!?!? - Eddy out right at the top of grannies and you can ferry onto the first wave in the rapid - very fast front surf. Hop off that wave and paddle hard to the eddy and you can still be above Grannies proper. Get out walk back to the top and surf both again.

There is also cherry hole, which should be good around this level. You can get to that by going to the put in for the wall on the tumwater. It's on river right and very obvious - very nice eddy service with slow water and a long ways from the actual rapids. I'm just far enough away from that feature that I've only been on it once, but it's the best spot on the Wenatchee to get some good time in a very friendly hole.

You also have happy wave - some access issue there with the landowner. I think Osprey still wants you to pay $5 to cross their land? I'm not sure, again outside of what I normally hit.

When I have the time to do it, at these levels I like to run from Rock and Roll above the Dryden dam all the way to Cashmere. The upper section doesn't have many surfs - but there are a couple good ones. Sometimes there is a very good wave on river right underneath the train bridge - for some reason I call this trestle wave even though it's not a trestle bridge. The upper section is a little more technical and there are even a few rocks.
allijxn
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote allijxn Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:32pm
Hey, sorry I'm so slow in thanking you all. You are top-notch BAMFS! Thanks a million for the beta. Super grateful!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version