Professor Paddle: Wenatchee Whitewater Park - Your Comments Needed vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Wenatchee Whitewater Park - Your Comments Needed Post Reply Post New Topic
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NateW Replybullet Topic: Wenatchee Whitewater Park - Your Comments Needed
    Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 3:08pm
The short story on this is Chelan County is making a 'comprehensive plan update'. This happens every 10 years. A number of paddlers attended a planning session, and the feasibility study is part of the 'draft plan'. Here is a link to the plan:
http://tinyurl.com/jkv5por
(see page 31 or so)
http://www.co.chelan.wa.us/community-development/pages/2017-comprehensive-plan-update

Here is a link to an amazing piece of graphic design that you can post on facebook:
http://imgur.com/Blab3Gu

Wenatchee Whitewater Park Feasibility Study
Please Send an Email to:
cdplanning@co.chelan.wa.us
Subject: Chelan County Rec Plan - Whitewater Park

I am writing to support the proposed feasibility study of a whitewater park on the Wenatchee River.
Here are some reasons you might support it
You are a whitewater kayaker or surfer and you think a play park would be awesome. If you are not in Chelan county - you would travel to use it.
You are a rafter and you want a safe bypass of the dam that does not require portaging.
You want to see fish habitat improved.
You have children and you want to bring them to a place where they could safely play and tube on the Wenatchee River.
You want the very dangerous Dryden dam made safer. (people have died there).

Every comment counts. Please share on social media.

Edited by NateW - 02 Mar 2017 at 3:09pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 1:55pm
Here's a copy of what I sent in:

to cdplanning

Dear Chelan County:

I am writing you to show my support of the proposed feasibility study of a whitewater park on the Wenatchee River.

I am in support of this because I am an avid whitewater enthusiast. I live over in Redmond, but I spend a lot of time over in the Leavenworth area paddling the Wenatchee River when the flows are in. The Wenatchee is a fabulous river that offers a wide range of whitewater for enthusiasts of all skill levels. Kayakers, rafters, inflatable kayakers, stand up paddle boarders, tubers, and even surfers enjoy what the Wenatchee River has to offer. Many tourists get a great rush of adrenaline while taking a raft trip down with one of the many companies working in the Leavenworth area.

I also think this would be the perfect opportunity to remove the deadly Dryden Dam and replace it with a wonderful play park. The play park could be built in such a way it provides wildlife and fish habitats while providing more opportunities to enjoy the Wenatchee River in a safer manner. Leavenworth is a huge tourism spot and having a play park would enhance visitor's and the local community's enjoyment of the Wenatchee. Even though I don't live locally, I would most definitely come over to utilize the play park if one was put in place. Right now the closet whitewater play park is in Bend, Oregon, which is not a feasible frequent trip.

By removing the dam, trips for the local rafting companies and the people who take the trips would be safer. Currently the Dryden Dam must be portaged because it is an overhead dam. If a person were to swim into the dam, they would be terminally held by the current that forms and they would drown. I know for a fact a man drown in that dam last summer. His life may have been spared if he hadn't swam into the dam or if a different, safer passage had been available for him to swim through.

Please consider this wonderful opportunity for improving our local whitewater activities, wildlife habit, and improving safety greatly by approving this proposal.
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version