Professor Paddle: A dying breed. The playboater. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: A dying breed. The playboater. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:49pm
Everybody gets what they want from kayaking. The best scenario is not when everybody is a playboater but when everybody is having the most fun. My wife prefers a IK. She doesn't surf or roll or run waterfalls, but she still has fun in her own way. I always like to see your excited posts about the next big storm wave that's about to come in, BigWater, and I am glad you get a lot of joy from playboating.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:10am
Originally posted by chipmaney

Everybody gets what they want from kayaking. The best scenario is not when everybody is a playboater but when everybody is having the most fun.

Amen.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 1:05pm
I hear ya chip. I not trying to bust anyone's chops. Just telling it like it is. Times change... I'm a relic from a forgotten time. Lol
How fast we forget...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 1:28pm
If you can actually sort through this over long thread I actually say to each their own two and now three times. Hehe.
I'm done beating this dead horse will post a Playboat trip next time it's good.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 2:13pm
I'm ordering my playboat in the next couple of weeks. I just hit up La Push this weekend and surfed some 5 foot swells, such a GREAT TIME!!! I can't wait to get a smaller boat I actually like and am comfortable in, so I can try some more moves :)
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Paddle_luke
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Paddle_luke Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 6:11pm
It's interesting to read this as I'll be moving out to the Bellingham area from Richmond VA come June, and was trying to deceide if it was worth bringing my playboat (ZG54) with me, or just a creeker and my new riverruner toy (infrared). Granted, I'm a piss poor playboater, but i love a good surf wave and it is always fun to jump in a hole for a good beating as both raise a grin and creeking skills. Is it wrong to guess that as the nooksak or sky might have some decent play at the right levels? Anyhow, hope to see you all in a few months...luke
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:18pm
Bring them all Luke :) There are waves to be surfed, despite how it sounds in this thread! You can always play in the waves in the ocean too!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 7:12pm
We should all consider what type of Playboat is used. Currently spuds that stick moves in stationary features are the concentration. Longer (still under 7 feet) slicy boats are the ones to tap into the coils of the currents below th surface.

Not to mention that extreme: squirt boats.

But the current idea of a playboat and what play boating is, is defined by the competitive circuit, yes? Rodeo moves and whatnot. Certainly easier to judge, but vastly different from downriver play.

Anyway, the general idea of playboats and to go play boating aren't in line if we look at down river moves. Rockstars don't squirt or wheel like the Dagger Ego and the like. Wavesport hasn't changed the Fuse in years, and the latest Fun from Jackson is more like its forebearers than the molds a generation ago. My Varun is so much fun, just sayin.

Those boats will teach ya how to pay attention to your edges. How to use current, and how to work it. Is it the lack of it being competitive that makes the downriver play category lackluster?

They don't last forever, get up on them rocks!

Paddling a spud like the möbius, jitsu, etc. downriver is a sucky run IMHO when there are more expressive choices around. Except Wenatchee, and the like. Then the Spuds are good to go, IYAM.

.02¢
cfarmer
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cfarmer Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:53am
I couldn't let this conversation continue without honorable mention.... James E. Snyder, author of one of my favorite kayaking books, "Squirt Boating and Beyond: How to Rip in Anything." (sorry-should be underlined) If you want to learn the roots of play boating, this is one of the books written by a true legend.
LisaF
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote LisaF Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 11:11am
Damn, I don't know why playboating should be considered "dying." I've paddled my playboat for 22 years on nearly everything, and it's only because I'm getting aged and decrepit that I'm phasing into my Riverrunner (though it's still fun to take the Star out on the Middle Middle and low-water Sky runs!)
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version