Professor Paddle: Vagabond Christmas Potluck vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Vagabond Christmas Potluck Post Reply Post New Topic
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mikenash Replybullet Topic: Vagabond Christmas Potluck
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 6:55pm
Irene and I are having a potluck at our house in Gold Bar for ourselves and Christmas vagabonds on Christmas Day. Probably a paddle on the Skykomish first around noonish and then back at the house by 4 pm for snacks and dinner afterwards.

We'll be cooking a turkey, and any other food particularly snacks, vegetable dishes, or dessert would be good.

Text Mike at 206-799-8687 so we have an idea of how many people are coming. All welcome. Last minute OK.

Cheers,
Mike

PS. Craig we already bought the turkey this time. :)
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 8:13am
Cheers to you and yours!!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Mauler!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mauler! Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 1:00pm
Sounds like a repeat of last year....robs Christmas party.   Too awesome.   Wish I could make it. Leroy
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:00pm
well damn I'm about as Vagabond as it gets...
I'll be there.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:37pm
To you too Megan! Glad you can make it JP! Sorry you won't be there Leroy, hope you make it back to this neck of the woods one of these days. Merry Christmas!

Edited by irenen - 22 Dec 2016 at 5:38pm
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
rebshep
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote rebshep Replybullet Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 2:19pm
We'll probably see you on the river! We're doing a similar thing at our place in Seattle at 6 that night.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 8:38am
Meeting Split Rock at noon for the paddle, Boulder Drop is a relatively easy portage and the rest of it is Class III if anyone's thinking of going but not sure about BD. Merry Christmas all.
jonnygriff
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jonnygriff Replybullet Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 8:55am
Sweet see you guys at noon!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 9:10am
If you are...

Not spending christman with family, or...
Not going skiing,

You should: grab an extra layer for under the drysuit, put on some alpaca socks (purchased from Paca Pride out on mt. Loop hwy, of course) and come join us...

Honestly, that river is boatin good even at these reduced flows!

It would be nice to see a mini Sky Mob* out there.

*to officially qualify as A "Sky Mob" it has to...
"appear as though there are twenty paddlers or more"

"appear" is the operative word here. So what I've found is about 16 or 17 people...

The most people I've paddled with at one time on the sky (put-in to take out) is about 40 persons. That 40 hard boats. I'm not counting commercial raft trips.

Anyway, later on we are going to watch the only Christmas Kayaking video ever produced.

It's called
"Santa Claus And Rob McKibbon Conquer the Martians".
In the movie, a bunch of war mongering, ignorant, homophobic, xenophobic racist Martians take over the White House. They steal all the childrens' toys, including Bret Barton's kayaking gear. Once the greedy scrooge-like aliens privateize all of the access points on the Sky and other rivers, Rob "Mr. Clean" McKibbon teams up with Krispy Kringle himself.

Its a race against time as the two super heros run whitewater all over the planet to Save Christmas...

Seriously: GREAT MOVIE
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 5:30pm
That sounds like some scary sh*t man. Does Charlie Brown or Schroeder make a cameo? Merry Christmas from the land of jungle boofs.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 8:55am
Dude- Shroeder got an old Centrifuge on CL. Linus got a raft. He's all about R2'n w/ Sally. He's still got the blanket, but every once in awhile he fires up the sh*t.

By the way not to spoil it, but Barton gets all of his gear back in the end, perhaps with some depleted safety supplies.

Monday: Today:
Sky @ Noon unless you want to show up early to review matters of the utmost safety. And, beyong the ineuendo implied there I should make mention that Renee's Hole in Bdrop is kicking ass and taking names...

After the Picket Fence, if you peel off toward the right above Big House, there is a pour over. Its not the hole in the center above Big House. I'm talking about another hole R. Right of that. That's been called Renee's hole because she got hammered in there I think a long time ago.

Anyway it is a real nasty toilet bowl/washing machine kinda pit of a hole at 1600-2000 lately. Very mean and trashy. One swimmer only got knocked out by a boat. Another swimmer was not flushing from the hole for A LLONG TIME. Everyone is ok now but seriously this was a nasty spate of carnage.

The Sky seems to still be moving through some weird mood swings. Once again it points to the deposition of gravel. My advice to the average Sky boater is to watch your step at Bdrop at lower flows. Honestky, the more I stick around the more I witness a disproportionate amount of carnage in Bdrop at those lower flows (500-3,000).

Edited by jP - 26 Dec 2016 at 8:59am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Matt Haverly
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Matt Haverly Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 1:15pm
I'm sorry I missed this - I gotta check posts on PP more often! Hope y'all had a great time!
Matt Haverly
Sultan, Washington
matthaverlymobile@gmail.com
ReneeCP
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ReneeCP Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 11:57pm
The name Renee's hole sounds funny, but at the correct flow, whatever the name, she should command respect. For me, it was a cold winter day in 2007. I was a beginner. My swim began at the entrance to BD.

It was weird, my head was above water but I was getting trashed and loosing energy to the cold. More than one person tried to get me out but she wouldn't let me go. I don't think you can reach that hole with a rope from the side? I'm not sure which hole it is.

I believe I had been retained for some time. While I was being tossed about, Rob paddled into the hole and bear hugged me. Then we both flushed out. That's how I remember it. I am forever in his debt...I could have easily given up paddling after that experience.

I'm sorry others have found that hole. Glad everyone's okay. I'd like to see that hole again someday, from land.

irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 2:19pm
So here's my write-up of the events, basically a public service announcement (a looong PSA). :) Renee you are right, this one totally commands respect!

http://www.ireneskayakingblog.com/paddle-trips/where-not-to-be-in-boulder-drop-at-around-1800-cfs/
ReneeCP
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ReneeCP Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:13pm
Irene, nice write up thanks. Do you mind if I share it with WKC?

About flows...the nasty Renee's Hole in BD retained me around 1250cfs in 2007. Yes, I had air, but they estimated I was retained for appx 3 minutes. It was brutal.

Also, side comment. The lunch hole rapid hole that you speak of in your blog, retained me until I partially lost subconsciousness before I flushed out, it's still there, where I left it. Again, I was a swimmer, it was a 35 sec retention, no air, at 900cfs Sept 2008.

Courtney was there for both incidents.

Then there's also the lunch hole strainer ledge on river left...do folks know about that one? I always wished I had a marked up pic to post to AW.

Thanks again!
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:27pm
Hi Renee, thanks, and sure no problem with sharing it anywhere! So where is that hole in Lunch Hole rapid that you ended up in? And let me just say - dang! :) Glad you're OK!
ReneeCP
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ReneeCP Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:36pm
Sadly, I'm not clear on the lunch hole rapid's hole location. My log says Courtney and Jimmy were both there that day. Allan Hall was also. Pretty sure the Nippers can shed light.

Funny thing, everything I did wrong in BD I did right in LH and it still didn't let me go until I was limp.

I was never a good swimmer when it came to holes, so I just learned to stay in my boat, on line!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version