Professor Paddle: Gasket replacement vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Gasket replacement Post Reply Post New Topic
runawayjim
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote runawayjim Replybullet Topic: Gasket replacement
    Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 4:50pm
Too cold to have a wet drysuit and too cheap to pay someone else to do my gaskets. Any suggestions on methods (is one of those kits worth it)? And has anybody noticed a quality difference between OEM Kokatat gaskets and generic/NRS gaskets?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
ConradLilleness
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ConradLilleness Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 5:05pm
Just go to a dive shop and ask them how to do it.
I went to Underwater World on Aurora and they gave me all the instruction I needed.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:20pm
I have a kit and do it myself. It's really easy once you learn how. Let me know if you want more info and you could make your own kit from mine....
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 6:32am
Gasket replacement is easy. Order gaskets on-line from Kayak Academy, your local family-owned kayak shop. Look on google for a video how-to; all you need is some aquaseal and the right size bottle. I don't buy anything made by NRS, except maybe a raft. Go with Kokatat.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
itchy
Paddler
Paddler

Quote itchy Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 8:34am
I've replaced neck gaskets by stretching the old neck over a ceramic salad bowl (inside the drytop), cutting it off (leaving a 1-2" margin) and gluing the new on on top of that, with the bowl still inside. It works fine; I don't think the kit would be worth it unless you're doing a lot of them. You might have to try several different bowls or other round objects before finding the right fit.

I think the NRS replacement gaskets are thinner. Might be worth the extra $10 or whatever for the Kokotat ones.
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 7:41am
I think NWOC has them. Build yourself a jig set because this won't be the last gasket you rip. Buy the commercial thickness replacements.

http://www.dashpointpirate.typepad.com/the_dash_point_pirate_woo/page/48/

Edited by erikSANDSTROM - 20 Nov 2016 at 7:42am
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:52am
Here's another vote for Kayak Academy. Great service, and they include very detailed instructions for how to replace gaskets, if you've never done it before.

Kayak Academy stocks two different brands of latex gaskets: Kokatat and Universal. I have been using the cheaper Universals (both wrist and neck) for the past 3 or 4 years and have been very happy with them. I find that they last as long or longer than Kokatat gaskets.

However, the HUGE advantage of Universal brand gaskets is that they offer five different neck sizes, while Kokatat only offers two. Sure, you can trim a gasket that's too small, but it's far better to buy a gasket that fits your neck without being trimmed. More contact area with your neck makes a gasket more comfortable, if not more watertight.
Don't waste water!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version