Professor Paddle: Submerged Log on MIddle Sauk vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Submerged Log on MIddle Sauk Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: Submerged Log on MIddle Sauk
    Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 10:56pm
Today I had the pleasure of contending with a submerged log on the lower portion of the Middle Sauk. The log was about 10 or 15 feet long and hard to see in the murky water as it was rising while we were out there.

The last named rapid is referred to Popeye or Lucifer's Hammer on the PP description. The log was about 1/2 mile downstream from there in the next unnamed rapid that has a very large log coming off river right just below a nice looking rock boof. The log was below this section on the left. The log was sitting quite low on some rocks so it was hard to see. I tried to boof over it, but it was too far out of the water and lucky I back ferried off it and flipped on the left end of the log and flushed.

The log may have moved with the rising levels, we were out there about 1:30 this afternoon and it was a definite hazard at these levels (I'm estimating 7000 or 8000 cfs, but I don't know for sure with the gauge issues).

Be safe out there!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 11:21pm
Thanks very helpful. Looks like the Sauk at Sauk gauge was about 5000 at around 1:30 and the Suiattle was at about 2500 and subtracting those gives a good estimate of conditions on Middle Sauk between Whitechuck and Darrington which would have been about 2500 cfs. The Sauk at Sauk gauge (which includes the Suiattle) didn't hit 7,000 until about 4:45, and the Middle Sauk run wouldn't have hit 7,000 until about 6:45 PM. I only mention it because that is substantially less than 7,000-8,000 at 1:30 and that might influence someone's expectations about conditions.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:55am
Thanks George!! Like I said, still figuring out how to work the gauge. Do you think the level may have been more like 3 or 4000 cfs at 1330?

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:20am
2500 cfs......it seemed bigger than that. It's a bummer the gauge is out of service:(

mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 11:13am
Yeah a super-bummer for sure. What I posted above came from a discussion about how to estimate Middle Sauk levels over at the WRRR Facebook page, it was a post dated Nov. 1 by Steve Laboff and David Elliot had some useful comments about how to estimate flows. Check it out.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:27am
So I've read the FB post and talked to a few other people and I'm still a bit confused, sorry I suck at math!

For clarification purposes here's a scenario:
Suiattle gauge: 3410 cfs
Sauk at Whitechuck gauge: 3790 cfs
Sauk at Darrington gauge: 6180 cfs
Sauk at Sauk gauge: 9490 cfs

What gauges would you look at and how would you figure out what the Middle Sauk is at?

Thanks in advance!

jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:49pm
As for the actual cfs reading in middle Sauk run, the Darrington gauge probably correlates best.  It's below the run a bit (if you take out at Clear Creek), but there are only a few minor tributaries between the run and the gauge.  The "above Whitechuck" gauge doesn't account tor the Whitechuck flow, and the Sauk at Sauk gauge is way down near the confluence with the Skagit and includes the Suiattle. 

However, I'm not sure the Sauk near Darrington gauge is working.  It's no longer showing on the USGS site, and if you click into the data via the AW site it shows nothing.  I'm trying to access it via the NWRFC, but that site is not loading today.          
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 11:55am
Sauk at Darrington Gauge is no longer supported and is off-line. Per discussion on WRRR Facebook page by David Elliot, the best estimate for Middle Sauk now is to take Sauk at Sauk and subtract Suiattle gauge.

So for the numbers you posted it would be:

Middle Sauk = 9490-3410 = 6080

Note!! This number is not too far off the (now defunct) Darrington gauge at 6180, which as Jon says was the best one until it went off-line.

Edited by mokelumnekid - 16 Nov 2016 at 11:55am
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version