Professor Paddle: Upper middle middle Beta vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper middle middle Beta Post Reply Post New Topic
CErickson12
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CErickson12 Replybullet Topic: Upper middle middle Beta
    Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 12:08pm
I went for a hike to check out the upper MM yesterday the gage was around 1kcfs. After checking out the images in the upper middle middle river info I thought I should throw these beta images up.everything looks clean with no portages. If anyone wants to go run that section in the near future let me know I would be interested. Im not sure why the image won't post but check out my middle middle gallery for images. Looks like a bunch of fun class IV

Edited by CErickson12 - 06 Nov 2016 at 12:10pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 8:55pm
How far up did you go? I've run the upper MM twice. It's not Class IV.
Catch your eddies,
Christian
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
CErickson12
Paddler
Paddler

Quote CErickson12 Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 6:41am
I went up past Dingford Creek. From the taylor river confluence its about another 45min driver then you start hiking about a half mile up the trail to head to goldmyer.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 6:59am
You guys are killing me.

The Middle Middle is the Middle section of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie.

I think the section you're talking about is the Upper Upper Middle Snoqualmie.

It's a little confusing, I know, as one of my favorite runs in the East is the Lower Upper Upper Upper New.

I ain't running the Upper Upper Middle. Sounds hard and scary. You guys have fun.

PS The Upper Middle is one of the most scenic sections of river most of us will ever do. It's kinda class IIish and not very interesting whitewater but damned it is beautiful. I try to do it a couple times a year on nice clear days.

<goes back to making sure his blocks are all perfectly lined up>
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:31am
Originally posted by CErickson12

I went for a hike to check out the upper MM yesterday the gage was around 1kcfs. After checking out the images in the upper middle middle river info I thought I should throw these beta images up.everything looks clean with no portages. If anyone wants to go run that section in the near future let me know I would be interested. Im not sure why the image won't post but check out my middle middle gallery for images. Looks like a bunch of fun class IV

I did a pretty extensive foot scout of that run years ago, and it looked pretty sweet - very scenic and some quality drops - but there was enough wood to make it a chore. Combine that with the ~2 hour drive to the put in and the hike - and you've got the recipe for a run that didn't get paddled much. Hopefully that'll change with the completion of the road project and some fresh beta. Please post up your photos if you haven't already.

Here are a couple of random tidbits that I remember from my scout:

-There's a ledge drop called "Lost Key" that looked like it had pretty significant undercut/cavity behind it. Not sure how hazardous it actually is at boatable flows - but I think it would at least be worth a scout on the first run.

-The shuttle would suck but extending the run to the confluence with the Taylor would worth doing. There's a bit more (lower key) action and it's every bit as scenic.

-Speaking of the Taylor: If you're up in the vicinity of the Upper Upper Middle (I think it used to be called the Wildcat Creek section), you should really take a look at the Taylor. I think you need higher flows for the Taylor than the MM section that we're talking about, but a couple of miles of hiking gives you access to a gin-clear stretch of water with about four fairly long and interesting IV/IV+ looking drops. The last time I was up there - wood was an issue on this run as well, but I also surprised that this run doesn't get more attention. Maybe that will change with the road improvements as well.

I'd love to check out these runs - but these days I'm lucky to get out one day a month, and it doesn't look like that will improve much between now and Christmas....

-Jay
CErickson12
Paddler
Paddler

Quote CErickson12 Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:44am
For beta i posted a photo in my first post but im not sure why it wont show. In my gallery under my profile you can find the beta photos of the upper upper middle. I have a few more photos ill post later today as well. I would be down to go boat the upper section sometime soon if anyone is keen.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:55am
Your photos look like they are from the upper upper, and not the upper upper upper...   
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:27pm
I'm having trouble seeing the pics....
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:28pm
Nm, just saw your update Chase!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

itchy
Paddler
Paddler

Quote itchy Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:41pm
I ran the rapid (ie the 1-200 yards of boulder drops) above the Goldmeyer parking lot at mega low water out of desperation late last summer ('15). I had just finished a bike ride down the MF Sno trail. It was kind of fun, and had a few drops that would be sweet with more flow. From the trail above Goldmeyer, the steep section looked really good: clean tall bedrock slides and waterfalls, and at the time it was free of wood. 7 mile hike in though, unless you can get through the gate?

Is the road paving complete? I haven't been up that way since this spring.
jonnygriff
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jonnygriff Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 6:21pm
Chase I hiked that same trail on Sunday I hiked a mile past dingford it looked like contuous class 4 until the dingford creek confluence. I'd be down to run that with you it looks sick!
CErickson12
Paddler
Paddler

Quote CErickson12 Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 6:31am
I'm not sure if the road paving is complete but you can drive 85% of the way then i hiked about a mile from the goldmyer parking lot. Jonnygriff im down to boat it shoot me a pm. I also have a few more pics I still need to post.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version