Professor Paddle: chehalis basin strategy (strategy = dam the river) vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: chehalis basin strategy (strategy = dam the river) Post Reply Post New Topic
jonlcrain
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jonlcrain Replybullet Topic: chehalis basin strategy (strategy = dam the river)
    Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 11:02pm

http://chehalisbasinstrategy.com

The proposed dam project as part of this strategy would flood the Chehalis whitewater section.

http://www.professorpaddle.com/rivers/riverdetails.asp?riverid=377 

Read the document:
http://chehalisbasinstrategy.com/eis-library/

Public comment period is open Sept 29th - October 31st.

Public Meetings:
http://chehalisbasinstrategy.com/events/

This map shows the reservoir inundation area:

Edited by jonlcrain - 07 Oct 2016 at 11:31am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 8:36am
Wow. Thanks Jon for bringing attention to this. Recent access to the Chehalis sucks (thanks Weyerhaeuser), but there's some great paddling on that river. The gorge above Pe Ell is a little gem, and the runs upstream are unique and have some good play.
jonlcrain
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jonlcrain Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 12:05pm
The fall stoke had me thinking about the Chehalis zone and it's tributaries. I knew it was all locked up behind a gate so I started looking into the permit process and eventually sent an email to Tom at AW asking about it. He clued me into this. I know he is reviewing the document now and AW will be putting out a message.

Everyone should read this document or at least the chapters that discuss the Flood Retention Facility (Chapter 4). They cite Tom and AW as saying this area is not used often for whitewater recreation. That is true but the reason for lack of activity is not discussed. We need to flood the public comments on this document and during public meeting to explain that the lack of whitewater recreation in this area is due to the whole place being locked up behind gates by Weyerhaeuser with 300 permits sold to hunters per year. If you lock us out there won't be history of whitewater recreation in the area which leads the EIS to claim no adverse impacts.

Edit: Note that all of Crim Creek will also be flooded. jalmquist I saw you mentioned this creek in another PP thread. Do you care to share an account, pictures, or video of a descent?

Edited by jonlcrain - 07 Oct 2016 at 12:10pm
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 12:38pm
Ah, Crim Creek. That was a little exploratory adventure with Gary Korb and crew. Unfortunately, early in the run at the first or second ledge drop, there was a FU branch or small tree coming off the bank, angled across the lip at chest level, right where you wanted to be. We tried having someone on the bank pull and hold the bugger out of the way, at first with hands, then with a rope. The branch won that tug of war. So I had the bright idea to whip out my river knife and notch it so that when pulled it might snap. River knives were a new phenomenon at the time, and I wanted to use it for something! Once again, the branch won, and I sliced a gash into my index finger right down to the bone. Luckily, we had some duct tape, and found an old greasy rag in the woods to use as a compress. At that point I bailed, got to the road and back to my car, where I headed to the hospital for stitches. But every time (like right now) I look at my hand and see that scar, I think of Crim Creek!    

As for documentation, I'm pretty sure that experience predated video, or even photography! Maybe not, but it occurred back at a time when documentation wasn't the norm, nor required to make something a reality.       
jonlcrain
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jonlcrain Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 12:47pm
Thanks for the story! I figured there would be little chance of photo, etc but thought it might come in handy to show prior use of the drainage for recreation.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 1:26pm
I used to paddle the Chehailis a lot 15 or 20 years ago. It's close to Oly and I had some great adventures in there when I first started boating. Saw my first rain on snow flood event up close and personal on the upper chehalis. I also saw my first red neck couch burning party back in those roads. It's no wounder it's locked up, since the locals love to burn couches and blast them with shotguns till the ground is 2 inches deep with shotgun shells. I was upset to lose the run to the gates, but the dam would be even worse!

Speaking of gates..... At least you can buy a Key,but it doesn't seem worth it for that drainage. I did however buy the key to the Saint Helen's farm this year, wich opens up the southern green, kalama, coweimen and 318,000 acers of posibility. If anyone wants to boat down there this season leme know.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by BIGWATER

I used to paddle the Chehailis a lot 15 or 20 years ago. It's close to Oly and I had some great adventures in there when I first started boating. Saw my first rain on snow flood event up close and personal on the upper chehalis. I also saw my first red neck couch burning party back in those roads. It's no wounder it's locked up, since the locals love to burn couches and blast them with shotguns till the ground is 2 inches deep with shotgun shells. I was upset to lose the run to the gates, but the dam would be even worse!

Speaking of gates..... At least you can buy a Key,but it doesn't seem worth it for that drainage. I did however buy the key to the Saint Helen's farm this year, wich opens up the southern green, kalama, coweimen and 318,000 acers of posibility. If anyone wants to boat down there this season leme know.

Awesome! Yeah I'm down. Love the upper Kalama and always wanted to get on the S. Green. Does that get you onto the upper parts of the sf tootle too? I've only run it from the gate down.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 7:52am
So I just got my key and it seems that I can only bring one of the 2 cars on my permit in at a time! WTF...how are we supposed to shuttle! Anyone else want to fork out the 300$ for the key so we can have to cars? Last I looked they had less than 50 permits left for the Saint Helen's farm.
runawayjim
Paddler
Paddler

Quote runawayjim Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 3:56pm
Deadline for comments has been extended until Nov 14. This is a better time than ever to speak up and show support for free flowing rivers. All information can be found here: chehalisbasinstrategy.com

Edited by runawayjim - 09 Nov 2016 at 3:56pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version