Professor Paddle: Where to move as a Seattle paddler? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Where to move as a Seattle paddler? Post Reply Post New Topic
lkb1450
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lkb1450 Replybullet Topic: Where to move as a Seattle paddler?
    Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 10:26am
Hi guys, I'm possibly moving to Seattle soon for work. Where is the best area to try and live to be set up well for getting out to go kayaking?

Thanks!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 12:14pm
Where your work is depends a lot too. Traffic in Seattle area sucks pretty bad and mass transit is mediocre at best. That said, there is good stuff in all directions from Seattle depending on what you're looking for... eastside: Bellevue, Issaquah have good access to i-90 corridor and Snoqualmie drainage runs, which are numerous, with everything from beginner runs to class 3 play to creek runs. North end: Bothell, Everett have better access to hwy 2 and the Sky drainage, which has just as much or more variety than i-90 but is generally a longer drive, plus gets you closer to the Stilly/Pilchuck runs as well... which don't have as consistent of flows as the Skykomish or Snoqualmie drainages but do include one of the top local class 5 runs (Robe canyon), plus a few nice 3 and 4 runs as well. South end, Renton, Kent have easy access to the Green, which is a top notch run, but it is mostly a rainy season (Nov-Apr) run and fairly good access to the Snoqualmie runs too.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 8:54am
Actually, I believe the I90 area has more selection of whitewater than the Sky area. The Green, Snoqaulimi rivers (yes rivers, North, South, ect) Ceder and the proximity to easy access and driving to other rivers makes it a much more desirable place to live than the horrific traffic gridlock in the hywy 2 Sky area.
Nomad
lkb1450
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote lkb1450 Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 9:06am
Thanks for the replies! I think my work would probably be located somewhere around northeast Seattle. Is it horrendous to try and get out of that area to go kayaking? It seems like the local runs are the Skykomish and Robe, do a lot of Seattle paddlers go up to BC frequently to paddle?

Edited by lkb1450 - 06 Aug 2016 at 9:09am
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 9:51am
Gridlock on Hwy 2 is mostly Friday afternoons going east and Sunday afternoons/evenings going west, also you'll hit a patch on 522 going E most afternoons around rush hour around Echo Lake. North Kirkland/Bothell/Kenmore areas are in my opinion good spots if you're not going to live in actual Seattle - around 45 mins to the Sky, around an hour to Robe and Ernie's, 45 minutes to Middle Middle and under an hour and a half to the Green. (Barring traffic on the other roads like 90 and I5.) And those areas could be reasonable to NE Seattle depending on exactly where you're commuting to. Good luck.

Edited by irenen - 06 Aug 2016 at 9:52am
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 7:42am
I respectfully provide the opinion that NE is the best area to live in....Shoreline (Seattle), Bothell, Kenmore, north Kirkland. Close to the city and close to the kayaking. It's close to the Sky; it's close to the northern runs (Pilchuck, Robe, Skagit/Whatcom Counties) and isn't that far from the Snoqualmie/Green. Most people I know live north and/or east. But if you work 5 days and kayak 2, the consider prioritizing living close to work, as you will lose less of your life to traffic. If you are working in the NE quadrant, then you that is the best of all scenarios. Avoiding having to go through d/t Seattle or all the way up 405 is the key. Good luck.

Edited by chipmaney - 07 Aug 2016 at 7:43am
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikenash Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 9:50am
Yes people do frequently go to BC for the wknd. Mainly in August and September when levels are low here, for the weekend releases on the Ashlu, Box canyon. Also earlier in the season for the other classics. Roughly 3 hours from kirkland to Squamish/whistler.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 9:29am
Originally posted by lkb1450

Thanks for the replies! I think my work would probably be located somewhere around northeast Seattle. Is it horrendous to try and get out of that area to go kayaking? It seems like the local runs are the Skykomish and Robe, do a lot of Seattle paddlers go up to BC frequently to paddle?

If you're looking at being able to get out for after work runs, it's not the most ideal spot, but it's not bad either.  For overall access for weekend runs, north end of Seattle, South Snohomish Co is a great location. It puts you within an hour drive of a lot of great rivers in several different basins.
lkb1450
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote lkb1450 Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 2:16pm
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll probably be trying to live in NE Seattle to be close to work, sounds like it will be pretty good for boating too. Looking forward to trying to link up for some paddling missions in the spring!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version