Professor Paddle: Ohane - "discovered" a sneaky sieve yesterday vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Ohane - "discovered" a sneaky sieve yesterday Post Reply Post New Topic
ckoontz
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ckoontz Replybullet Topic: Ohane - "discovered" a sneaky sieve yesterday
    Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 8:21am
I posted an alert on the river page, not sure if anyone knew about this one or not but I figured it was worth it to try and make sure no one else gets over there. I realize there are sieves all over the place out there but if I can keep one person from getting into this one it's worth it, especially since it isn't so obvious. Or just as a reminder to always be alert and keep an eye on your buddies, even in between the rapids we are more focused on.

In trying to pin point the location I'm not exactly sure. Talking to Adam he thinks it was the second rapid below the log drop, and about 2 rapids above Butcher's Block. It's not really a named rapid and not much of anything so not easy to locate and easy to be cruising through chatting and/or enjoying the scenery.

On the left there is a hump/submerged rock that you kind of scrape over or go just around at that level (1200 cfs). On Sat I started going right because it was a sort of fun tiny rock boof into an eddy and then you could move back left behind the hump that most were scraping over.

Updated: Screen shot below from gopro footage from Clinton Begley shows the spot, red arrow pointing down into it.

I came off the little boof with a bit more speed and decided not to catch the eddy and just turn back left and wasn't too worried about my stern glancing off the right bank. It was then I realized there was some old growth wood there that isn't very obvious until you're right on it that I bumped and before I could do anything my stern got sucked into a sieve against the right bank.

It had me buried stern first up to my shoulders and I had to be pulled out. After I was out it buried a 95 gallon creek boat with just about a foot of the bow showing. The boat came out fairly easy, which makes me think it was bottomed out but there was definitely outflow from underneath the right wall and wood in there.

Screen shot of the sieve

Edited by ckoontz - 21 Jun 2016 at 11:37am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 6:03pm
Sounds like the "Russ and JD Sieve" from 1998. The R&J sieve is 2 drops below "Railslide" (aka log drop), and comes at the tail end of a rapid, where the river bends hard right, and then back to the left. Sieve is far right corner at the lip of the last part of the drop.

Glad you're okay Clinton! It's an innocuous looking spot, that isn't readily apparent until you're "sitting in it". I expect your boat bottomed out on wood in there, as it "ate" me and my Dagger Gradient whole.

Edited by JD_G - 20 Jun 2016 at 6:04pm
ckoontz
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ckoontz Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 6:29pm
Oh great, I don't even get to name it

That sounds like the spot. Easy access from the right bank to stand on the rock and pull someone out, if you eddy out above them that is. If you're below them access is a bit tougher.
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 7:08pm
I'd bet money it's the same. Sneaky spot, I bumbled into it on my first run on the Ohanee, which was at a healthy flow, so it was a bit obscured. No wood in it that day.

We can call it the "Russ JD Clinton" Sieve rapid or RJC for short, if you like.
ckoontz
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ckoontz Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:33am
That'll probably work for another 18 years
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version