Professor Paddle: Newbie Paddle vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Newbie Paddle Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: Newbie Paddle
    Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:30pm
I'm putting together a newbie paddle Sunday June 12th. We are doing the class 2 section of the South Fork of the Skykomish from Skykomish to Baring.
This is for people who don't have a roll and want to work on the basics like forward paddle strokes and catching eddies.
We are meeting at 10am behind the Skykomish Liquor and Deli.
If you're interested feel free to respond here or PM me. I posted this on Whitewater Ladies of Washington FB page too.
So far I have 5-6 newbies and 2 other seasoned paddlers to help out.
Everyone is welcome.
Dress to swim, helmets are mandatory, please be sure you have float bags in your boats! Thanks!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:36pm
Megan, you should consider moving this over the the Wenatchee zone. River Fest is that weekend and we'd love to have you all out! Not to mention, we have a pool session in Leavenworth that Sunday afternoon at 4:00 so you could combo up a newbie paddle with some warm water roll practice before and/or after.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 3:17pm
Tom, I've been considering it, but I don't know of a great beginner place on the Wenatchee to take people. I want to do this on a class 2 section as some of the people coming have no roll or much experience at all.
I think the play run is fun, but may be too full on for a very new paddler.
Do you have suggestions of a good beginner beginner section?

NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 3:52pm
The section from Cashmere to Monitor is pretty mellow, in fact I'm paddling that tonight with a new paddler friend of mine. I'm not sure I'd call it class II, but the rapids are far more mellow than the stuff between leavenworth and Cashmere.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:03am
Cashmere->Monitor section seems pretty good for a beginner. It's significantly easier than the play run. You can park for free (no discover pass) on the north side of the river at the Wenatchee County Park.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 8:47am
The upper Wenatchee is a great beginner run. Similar size and feel as the SF Sky run too. It's a long run so most the time people run a section of it rather than all 16 miles. The bridge on the Chumstick Highway basically divides the run in half so it's a good put-in or take out. You can run from Lake Wenatchee to there or put in there and run down to the Hwy 2 bridge.

It can be run pretty low too, so you can sometimes run it even in September/October. I hear it's really nice if you get on it when the Salmon are running but haven't seen that myself.

If your group is feeling lively after that, you can always continue down to Tumwater canyon from there.

Edited by JoesKayak - 10 Jun 2016 at 8:49am
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:16pm
Thanks for the Upper Wenatchee beta! I'll have to check out that section, it sounds beautiful up there too....

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version