Professor Paddle: sample eComments to FERC vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: sample eComments to FERC Post Reply Post New Topic
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: sample eComments to FERC
    Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 6:54pm
So this thread does not cover the actual details on how to file an eComment w/ FERC. See the other thread for that which outlines the process. This thread is devoted to writing the actual eComments, or letters to FERC.
¡---The deadline for filing comments is 4/27/2016---!

I have filed two comments with FERC so far, and will post them up in this here thread. Since an individual may file more than one comment, it may be helpful to write a different comment for each different issue. There are many reasons why Hydro Development on the Skykomish River is a bad idea.

My first comment focused on three different existing protections for that stretch of river, because those are aleady legally established and therefore that should be the beginning and the end of this issue.

The second comment is focused on the ongoing landslide. Both how it may be potentially destabilized by blasting the tunnels, and also a county survey that indicates the slide area is on a "Buried Valley" which could eventually re route the river around Sunset Falls itself.

Anyway, yall can mine these two comments for the figures that are there, copy it or whatever just put it in your own words. I will make each comment I files a separate post.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 6:58pm

Kimberly D. Bose, Secretary
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission    
888 First Street,NE
Washington, DC 20426

Re: P-14295 Sunset Fall Fish Passage and Energy Project

Dear Ms. Bose and members    of the FERC Licensing Team,

I find it unacceptable that Snohomish County PUD in Washington State is proposing a hydro electric project on the South Fork Skykomish, a river that is supposed to be legally protected as part of the state’s Scenic River System. RCW 79A.55. In fact it was the first river to be protected under the State Scenic River Act.

Drawing water away from two waterfalls and the 1.1 miles in between would pose significant harm to threatened species such as Chinook Salmon, Steelhead and Bull trout. Less water means warmer temperatures and higher rates of predation. Out migrating fish require minimum flows that have been set by the Department of Ecology and this project would violate those instream flows. WAC 173-507-020.

Also, The NW Power & Conservation Council has designated this stretch of river as Protected From Hydropower Development. Being a free flowing river that is eligible for Federal Wild and Scenic preservation, the Skykomish watershed should be recognised and protected as such.

To ignore these existing protections is to go against the long term Public Interest of all Washingtonians. But what do ratepayers stand to gain from this project?

The 1% of energy SnoPUD claims this project will contribute to the grid cannot justify violating the protections listed above. This project will undermine efforts to protect endangered fish, and that 1% of added energy can be easily made up by other means. Lastly this project will be expensive to construct and will produce expensive power. As if violating the protections already on the books isn't enough, ratepayers are asked to make a long term investment in this short sighted project in an era when we are spending millions removing dams. It makes no sense.

Based on a thorough study of the information available, I must conclude that project P-14295 is a bad idea and it is Against The Public Interest of Snohomish County Ratepayers and Washington residents in general. Given the above reasons alone, it is your duty to deny SnoPUD’s Draft License Application.

Sincerely,

jP
#### E. River Left Rd
Rivertown, Wa ######
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 7:00pm
So that was my first comment, focused on the Existing Protections that should be legally adhered to.

This next one is focused on the landslide...I posted pictures of it in the gallery here on PP.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 7:05pm

Kimberly D. Bose, Secretary
888 First Street,NE
Washington, DC 20426

Re: P-14295 “Sunset Fall Fish Passage and Energy Project” DLA

Dear Ms. Bose and members    of the FERC Licensing Team,

As you are aware, the landslide at the base of Sunset Falls has been ongoing since 2013 and has claimed at least 5 cabins altogether. This winter alone three cabins were wiped out by it. The two layers of the slide zone are self evident, with the glacial till layer sitting on top of the ancient grey lake silt. Water is clearly coming out of the middle of the hillside where the two layers meet.

It’s very hard to believe that blasting so close (within 330 feet!) will not disturb this already unstable area. After what Snohomish County has been through with Oso, I’m troubled that this idea can even be considered.

And while I am no fluvial geomorphologist, I’m not surprised that such a buried valley would lie at the bend of the first oxbow just upstream of the proposed intake. The river is bending around a terminal moraine. With the soft composition of the glacial till, it can potentially erode away relatively quickly. It’s what rivers do. Eliminate double oxbows in search of the path of least resistance. Climatological projections indicate that we will likely have more frequent large scale flooding like we saw this past winter. Such spikes on the hydrograph may attack this “Buried Valley” from both sides: by both scouring it from the upstream side and by continual landslides on the downstream side, until the river eventually reroutes itself. It wouldn’t surprise me after Oso. Washington’s landscape is ever changing.

This timeless characteristic of geomorphology should cast some serious doubts on a secure future for this already questionable project. Not only due to the process of blasting the tunnels and the destabilization that could cause, but just as importantly the long term viability of an expensive, unnecessary and unwanted hydro project. Can it meet its demand output long enough to pay itself off? Or will it become obsolete, with the river simply changing course? Stranger things have happened in Washington’s geological history. It’s a foolish gamble for Snohomish County with expensive and irrevocable costs. Especially if it ends up high and dry. This project reminds me of the Monte Cristo Railroad and seems doomed to failure.

Which is yet another reason why this Draft License Application should be denied, and the pre-existing protections for The Skykomish River should be honored and remain intact.
Thank You for the opportunity to comment.

jP
#### E. River Left Rd
Rivertown, Wa #####
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 7:15pm
By the way, Since I am subscribed to FERC docket #P-14295, I get an email notification each time a new document is uploaded to the docket. So I get a little chime on my phone every time a comment card or eComment is filed, and subsequently have read most of the comments filed so far, so for those of you who pulled the trigger and submitted comments by now, I appreciate it.

If you want to do like I did and post what you submitted here that would be great too and maybe help others draft something up.Some of the comments paddlers have made have been fantastic- well reasoned arguments that make a substantive point.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 10:55pm
You're doing great work JP! Thank you for spearheading this.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
cbishop1
Paddler
Paddler

Quote cbishop1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 9:10am
Here's what I wrote,
Sorry for the slow response JP! Keep pushing buddy!

Greetings,

I am writing to express my sincere disappointment that a dam is being considered on the Skykomish River near Sunset falls. As a PUD user, I can't help but feel there must be some sort of private interest that stands to gain from this ridiculous project. I say this because it seems like a terrible idea in every regard. Some wealthy interest making money seems like the only plausible motivation.

I have read quite a bit of literature on the effect of dams for fish and other aquatic life. The results are often appalling. We have already decimated the Northwest fish population with dams, clear cutting (soil erosion), and pollution amongst other things. How can we even be considering adding a dam when we are removing them all around the Northwest? Fishermen as well as many other species rely on the fish for their survival, well being, and enjoyment.

Another concern that comes to mind is our pristine Northwest scenery. The Northwest is moving away from dams, logging, and mining. Those industries are no longer economically feasible. Only a few wealthy citizens benefit from widespread destruction. The contemporary/future industry that will be successful in rural areas is tourism. We will run out of rivers to dam, trees to cut, and minerals to mine but we will always have our beautiful scenery if we are careful to protect it. Eco-tourism is the future for rural Northwest communities, it is time to embrace that. I myself know hundreds of people who use the Skykomish River for various forms of recreation. Adding a dam to POSSIBLY lower electricity costs is an incredibly ill conceived idea.

Thank you for reading and for giving the opportunity for public comment. I sincerely hope rational and logical minds will prevail to cancel this project. Although I am sure the idea had good intentions, when one considers all the factors, costs, and benefits; it becomes clear that a dam has no place on the Skykomish River.

Kind Regards,
Colby Bishop
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:09pm
Awesome. Who else wants to post up their submitted eComment here?

I just copied and pasted this, so its formatting is all f'd up, but...One concerned paddler wrote:

DARREN ALBRIGHT, GIG HARBOR, WA.
Sunset Falls, the South Fork of the Skykomish and the greater Skykomish
River Valley is a truly amazing and special place. Since I was a
teenager, I've enjoyed rock climbing, kayaking, hiking, swimming and much
more in the immediate vicinity of Sunset Falls. Last year, I took my six
year old son backpacking for the first time right up the road from Sunset
Falls. We enjoyed the view of Sunset Falls from the trail. After the trip
we went swimming and kayaking below the falls.
Any dam, hydro project, power lines or construction would be a huge loss
to such a special place. I understand we need power, and greatly enjoy
the benefits that hydro brings us, however this location is a horrible
selection. There are very few places left that offer such incredible
scenery and awesome experiences. Especially within such close proximity
to large cities.
Experiences I enjoyed as a child and the experiences shared with our next
generations would be greatly impacted by a decision to move forward with
any sort of dam/hydro project on the South Fork/Sunset Falls vicinity.
I ask that you not allow any further development of this project!
This project is against the public's best interest!
Please deny this Draft License!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:15pm
Hey PP! It's really awesome to see how many people have put time and effort into writing to FERC and going to that meeting on Tuesday! We have such an amazing community here!
THANK YOU JP for encouraging us and pushing us so hard to Save The Skykomish!

Here's a copy of what I sent to FERC:

Dear Secretary,

I am writing in regards to docket # P-14295-001, the Washington Sunset Fish Passage and Energy Project. I strongly oppose the Washington Sunset Fish Passage and Energy Project.

Please read the Washington State Legislature’s webpage on the Skykomish river and the river’s Wild and Scenic designation. Here is a link to the website: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=79A.55&full=true

The Washington State Legislature’s webpage under section 79A.55.070 states “The Skykomish river from the junction of the north and south forks of the Skykomish river to (b) Upstream approximately twenty miles on the south fork to the junction of the Tye and Foss rivers.” This description of the south fork Skykomish river clearly indicates what sections are covered under the Scenic River System and is indeed on the same section of river as the above proposed hydroproject. I am extremely surprised this project has gotten as far as it has without more simple notice of this FACT. Documentation posted by FERC in August 2013, resisted comments by outsiders and tried to confirm the fact this is not a protected section of river, but it very well is.

The Skykomish river is one of the most beautiful areas in the state of Washington. Why would you want to potentially ruin it with a hydroproject that is not projected to make an immense impact in the amount of power it can produce at a reasonable cost? There are more cost effective and less environmentally impactful options like solar and wind power, available at our fingertips. Multiple millions of dollars are needed to just make this project happen. These millions of projected dollars do not clearly state how much this facility will cost to maintain over it’s time in use either. The cost started at $170 million dollars and has only continued to rise since the initial estimation.

The Sunset Falls area is already riddled with it’s own landslide issues that have been progressing naturally over time. How can PUD protect the people’s home’s and properties along the river during this project? Can the PUD protect the lives of their workers and people contracted to do the project? Can the PUD guarantee they won’t further the landslides while they drill and blast through bedrock and river rocks? Can PUD guarantee protection of the Skykomish river waters from pollution from drilling, blasting, and disturbing local mines? Last year the Animas River in Colorado suffered a huge disaster when a mine was “accidentally” disturbed. What happens when large amounts of rain and snowmelt make the Skykomish flood? Can the PUD provide it’s project from being destroyed by 100,000 cfs (cubic feet per second) of water, boulders, rocks, and trees making their way down the river, naturally?

Today, across the United States, South America, and other countries, we are striving to rid our rivers of dams we thought would change our energy future. Only to discover these dams are not cost effective, they require daily maintenance, and staff around the clock to keep them in working form. Over time these dams and hydroprojects become more of an eyesore, money traps, unstable, and cause a huge environmental blockade to natural processes only a free flowing river can provide.

Granted this is not a proposed dam, this is a hydro-electric project that would include a 7 foot high, 260 foot long diversion weir and intake structure. PUD is proposing to build a tunnel that would divert 2 naturally occurring waterfalls, Canyon Falls and Sunset Falls, and about 1.1 miles of the south fork of the Skykomish River. The PUD has tried to state they have the natural habitats and inhabitants of the Skykomish drainage kept in mind during the project’s formation, but so far I have only heard information that is not directly pertinent and does not make sense to me. The PUD was asked to provide clear documentation on the effects the bypass for salmonoids (baby Salmon), but they only provided documentation on the adult fish, which are much bigger and durable and able to sustain a more “unnatural” journey over the bypassed waterfalls. Currently the salmonoids safely fall over Canyon Falls, recover in a pool, then fall over Sunset, and recover, again, in a pool before journeying downstream. If the salmonoids were expected to go through the diversion, they would lose out on the much needed “recovery time” between pools and this would likely cause an increase in salmonoid deaths, decreasing the salmon population. The project also mentions decreasing natural water levels and increasing the natural water temperatures. Both of these actions will largely change the water habitat and finitely affecting the inhabitants which are already in need of our watch and care, so they don’t disappear (Bulltrout, Chinook, and Steelhead are examples).

I am also an avid whitewater enthusiast amongst thousands of whitewater enthusiasts that have learned the ropes on the Sky. The Skykomish river has helped me transform my abilities in a kayak by providing a beautiful environment that offers class 1 to class 6 rapids and features. The Skykomish has offered me a beautiful spectrum of mother nature that no other place can provide. The “Sky” is a place I can escape to, to avoid the city, get my whitewater, and nature fix. I have seen eagles, herons, ducks, and countless salmon along my river travels.    There’s also a community of river people that love the Sky just the way it is and would hate to see any detriment or harm come to such a beautiful area or it’s above water and underwater inhabitants.

Please respect the Skykomish river’s Wild and Scenic designation and protect it from further damage and unnatural modifications. Please help to protect our waterways and our future!

Sincerely,

Megan Paige Kelly
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:23pm
Here's a great example of someone digging a little deeper in this case calling out FERC because the documents are suggesting that snoPUD can get away with the less intensive Environmental Assessment instead of having to conduct an EIS which is more stringent...

Her comment is in "River Green" below...

April 8, 2016

Kimberly Bose, Secretary
888 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20426

Re: FERC #P-14295, Sunset Falls Fish Passage Project Draft License Application

Dear Ms. Bose and members of the FERC licensing team,

In the cover letter for SD2, from August 27, 2013 FERC Accession number 20130827-3040(30402899), is the following statement from FERC staff: “Pursuant
to the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, as amended, Commission staff intends to prepare an environmental assessment (EA), which will be used by the Commission to determine whether, and under what conditions, to issue a license for the project.”

I believe FERC staff erred by not requiring an Environmental Impact Statement for this project. This project, according to the proponent in the Draft LicenseApplication, is a major construction project. It is also a new hydro project.

The Federal Power Act, §380.6, requires preparation of an EIS for this type of unconstructed water power project instead of an EA. The only exception to that
section of the Federal Power Act appears to be

If the Commission believes that a proposed action identified in paragraph (a)of this section may not be a major Federal action significantly affecting the
quality of the human environment, an environmental assessment, rather than an environmental impact statement, will be prepared first. Depending on the
outcome of the environmental assessment, an environmental impact statement may or may not be prepared.

This proposed project, in the middle of an established community and now with an ongoing landslide in close proximity to the proposed tunnel blasting sites, will
directly---and adversely---affect the quality of the human environment. For FERC to make the statement that an EIS is not needed appears contrary to the language
of the Power Act. The Federal Power Act appears to regard the preparation of an EA as an exception to be applied only in the case of projects, including new
hydropower projects, that pose only very minor impacts. That is not the case here; significant environmental impacts are posed by the project.

As you may know, I’m new to the process of licensing hydro projects. If I have misunderstood the basic tenets of the Federal Power Act with regard to requiring an EIS rather than an EA, I trust that FERC staff will promptly let me know.

Thank you for the opportunity to provide this comment.
Lora Cox
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:26pm
So you see there are many angles to approach this. And as boaters, you know that more often than not, how your line through a rapid goes is all about the approach.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:42pm
It's interesting how SnoPUD has tried to work it's way around several FACTS.

http://www.snopud.com/Site/Content/Documents/sfpep/SFFERCDocs/SD2.pdf

This documentation (it is from 2013) starting on page 4 addresses the EXACT issue Lora Cox is writing about. I also found on page 6 they tried to state the south fork of the Skykomish WAS NOT apart of the Wild and Scenic designation and protection. I read all 9 pages of this. I'm sure there are more errors that I'm just not knowledgeable to pick up on. I'm sure there is more updated paperwork somewhere too. I just don't know how to find it.
I find it disheartening they are so willing to be untruthful.

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:43pm
I'd be interested to hear what they had to say about the fishies yesterday!

Again everyone who is taking the time to comment is awesome and thank you!

ckoontz
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ckoontz Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 8:40am
Is AW involved in this?
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 12:42pm
yep, Tom and others have done great work on this.
i like it when it rains
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 9:58am
Yup- AW is involved on their level. And yes, snoPUD seems to be deliberately distorting the truth.

But they are essentially banking on the hope that
a) no one knows about the project
b) they can bury the truth under a mountain of boring studies that they know no one will read because it cuts too much into time people would rather spend watching Family Guy, or Donald Trump be an Ass Hat, or Call of Duty or some bullsh*t

Awesome letter, Megan! Thanks!

Yes AW is playing their role. Its up to US to play ours. We are a tight knit community. We are intimately connected to The River and we love The River. It is OUR responsibility to communicate with FERC and let them know this is not o.k.

I want every paddler to realize that it is the paddling community who has the strongest power to stop this project. We need to organize, mobilize, and, beyond having all of our voices speak for the river, we need to encourage more and more non paddlers in washington to do so too.

So yeah, We can stop this. If it gets stopped, it will be due in part through AW's efforts. But they probably can't succeed without US. Also be reminded that it won't be decided most likely, after this draft license application.

In other words, this process will flare up again next fall and winter. So keep it in mind and be ready then as well. Its gonna take a few blows to slay this beast yet.

Edited by jP - 16 Apr 2016 at 9:59am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:46am
I do want to point out that the Sky *IS NOT* a Wild And Scenic river. That's part of the problem. If it was a Federally Protected Wild And Scenic River, this proposal could'nt have gotten this far.

But It is Eligible for Federal Wild And Scenic status . It no longer will be if this project goes through. Some comments I've read confuse this distiction, but I almost think it helps, rather than hurts, our case. Because the Sky is in this blurry limbo zone between being protected and not. People think it is already protected and so they are shocked this is happening, and should be.

It is a State Scenic River, which does afford it some protections, and it does state the area under contention is protected from hydro development. But the language is softer than the more iron clad Wild and Scenic designation.

Read my eComment that I posted upstream in this thread. It enumerates the three ways that aleady legally protects Sunset from hydro. SnoPud is basically ignoring actual laws on the books and essentially FERC is a potential enabler of this, "aiding and abetting" snoPUD.

That's why we have to hold both of these agencies accountable by weighing in on this idiocy.

Anyone who wants help drafting an Iron Clad eComment, send me a PM over the next few days or so. Time is running out. I will be glad to help in any way I can.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by jP

But It is Eligible for Federal Wild And Scenic status . It no longer will be if this project goes through. Some comments I've read confuse this distiction, but I almost think it helps, rather than hurts, our case. Because the Sky is in this blurry limbo zone between being protected and not. People think it is already protected and so they are shocked this is happening, and should be.

Is there any info out there that we can share to work towards getting it protected and gaining the "Wild and Scenic" designation? Is there work thru AWW or other places? We could start sharing that too!

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:36pm
So, that's starting to get above my pay grade real fast, but I think we need to include it in the dialog for sure.

Now we are expanding the scope of this issue to also encompass letters to our representatives in the Senate and in Congress. Sounds like a great little side project for the summer after this comment period ends. Wanna help, Megan? Haha! Anyone else who is keen too- send me a PM let's switch to email mode.

For now though, let's focus on writing our own comments and helping others to write and file theres. Outreach.
See my next thread titled:

Copy, Paste, Remix and Send
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:49pm
Wow. Bummer this isn't, like, a more active topic. I think aggressively renewing a pursuit to get the Sky federally protected is a great idea. Well, thanks for bringing it up Megan. That's definitely something to check in with AW about, and its going to require some renewed memberships (my own included) to fuel the legal machinery.

I got a PM requesting amore comprehensive list of people to write letters to outside of FERC. I will try to get something posted here on PP soon even though most of yn'z act like you couldn't give a sh*t. At least I know about five people who do. Better than nothin I guess
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Kiran
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Kiran Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 4:30pm
jP and others

Thanks for taking the lead in this matter

I have certainly done my tiny tiny bit by adding my voice to the rest of your voices

Thanks for the sample comment

I dont get to paddle the Sky as much as you guys do, but absolutely love the river and it's drainage
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 5:09pm
Sending this to the top, time is of the essence. Let's not let pompous public parasites turn the key here.
Riff
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Riff Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:33pm
Bump.  Great resources for having a voice in this, thanks to JP and everyone else.  
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:22pm
Bump. 2 days left.
Get yer eComment on.
FERC and SnoPUD need to hear the Skykomish River Roar. THROUGH US!!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:11pm
Below are my comments to FERC. Feel free to use anything you like for crafting your own comments.

I write today as a Snohomish County PUD ratepayer and lifetime resident of the beautiful Pacific Northwest to voice my strong opposition to Snohomish PUD's plan to build a hydropower project on the SF Skykomish River. I have spent my life rafting, kayaking, fishing, swimming, and hiking in and around rivers and know the Skykomish to be a truly special place. Please DENY this license application for the following reasons:

PROTECTIONS IGNORED:
Washington's State Scenic River System lists several sections of the Skykomish River watershed. This act was enacted to protect rivers which " possess outstanding natural, scenic, historic, ecological, and recreational values of present and future benefit to the public" from exactly this kind of project.  RCW 79A.55

Washington State Dept. of Ecology Minimum Steamflows for fish habitat will be violated by the removal of water from the 1.1 mile section of river. WAC 173-507-020

The Northwest Power and Conservation Council lists this section of river as one that should remain free of hydropower development.

In addition, the USFS has recommended the Skykomish for inclusion in the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System. THIS is what the Skykomish deserves.

DETRIMENTAL TO RIPARIAN ECOSYSTEM
The Skykomish is a large river with a diverse ecosystem. The PUD's assertion that the project will not affect the fish and other species that rely on the river is ludicrous. The river is host to not only the migrating salmonids, but also hosts many native fishes, and a wide variety of smaller animals from insects to crustaceans. The river is also home to many species of birds, reptiles, amphibians, and mammals that rely on the river and the greater ecosystem it provides. This project will dewater over a mile of river. This will increase water temperatures and lower oxygen levels. Both factors contribute to higher mortality for a number of the fish and animals who live in and around the river.

Additionally, this project involves blasting an enormous tunnel under the river bed, and will increase turbidity and contamination of the water, leaking heavy metals and other contaminants into the river system. The pool below Sunset Falls is very large and it is known to be a rearing pond for many species of fish, including the small population of Sockeye salmon that migrate every year to the Skykomish. Putting this project just above this spot is a dangerous proposition for the fish and those species that depend on them such as otters.

POOR SOURCE OF POWER
By PUD's own estimates this project will provide an amount of power that will equal only a percentage of their power needs in the low single digits. That is a best case scenario. The project will not provide year-round power.  In summer and early fall water is almost always too low for power generation. In the rainy season, from November to March levels are sporadic and dependent upon rainfall. Being a run of river project there is no way to hold back water from storms to keep power going, so there will be high enough water for power a few days at a time at best. Monthly averages do not tell the full story here. The river rises and falls quickly. The only real consistent time when power can be counted on would be during spring snowmelt time in May and June. OH WAIT! Consider for example in 2015 there was a very low snowpack. Had the project been online last year, there would have been insufficient water for power generation for most of the year.

FISCALLY IRRESPONSIBLE
PUD's original estimate was $170 million for just the construction of this project. At this time the estimate is now up to $225 million AND they've already wasted at least $5 Million in scoping alone. If the past in any indicator, that number is sure to rise and doesn't take into account the cost of maintaining and running this project. The recent public outcry over billing issues does not inspire confidence in the PUD's ability to manage the ratepayer's money. Neither does the PUD's recent small hydro project on Youngs Creek, which is currently costing the ratepayers plenty with very little power generated.

GEOLOGICALLY UNSOUND
This proposal, by the PUD, calls to use explosives to blast a huge two story high tunnel, underneath the riverbed of one of the most powerful rivers in Western Washington in a very close proximity to an active landslide. Also, the river takes a turn though a horseshoe bend at the proposed site that has the geological markings of a spot a river could cut through, especially if the river is dammed by a slide. If that happens the river will bypass the projects' intake and render the project utterly useless. Waterfalls are geologically active areas. Do we really know what will happen when you start blasting a giant hole underneath the river bed here? I fear the potential catastrophic aftermath of blasting at the site of these waterfalls and the active landslide. To blast near an active slide is irresponsible at best. To do so in Washington, in the wake of the Oso disaster is unconscionable.

As I've illustrated, there are many reasons why this proposed project is a horrible idea and is not in the best interest of the public, the environment, or the otters, damn it! In this day and age we have finally started to learn the errors of the past and are working to correct the mistakes we've made. We have begun removing hydropower projects in favor of truly renewable and green energy sources and conservation. Why is Snohomish PUD hell bent on replicating the errors of the past and destroying what is good, clean and beautiful for a paltry bit of energy that will be much more expensive to produce than our current avenues for power?

Our wild and wonderful places are getting fewer and farther in between. The Skykomish is one of the best. It is truly special and to desecrate it with this ill conceived horror is a legacy we will all regret.

Please DENY the license for Snohomish PUD's Sunset Falls project license.

Thank you.

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version