Professor Paddle: **The Skykomish** needs our help vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: **The Skykomish** needs our help Post Reply Post New Topic
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote irenen Replybullet Topic: **The Skykomish** needs our help
    Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 7:58am
JP is almost singlehandedly masterminding the drive to get comments in to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) about the Sunset Falls Dam Project. This is what my inbox looks like these days (below) because I'm on the comment notification list - the one-liner top entry is for 62 (SIXTY-TWO!) separate comments received by FERC just yesterday 3/22/16. These are pre-postaged postcards that just need to be signed and dropped in a mailbox.

JP has asked for help getting the word out to more people, if everyone signs one postcard to FERC and takes 5 or 10 postcards to get signed by 5 or 10 other people who care about keeping the Skykomish River wild that would be fantastic.

Please PM him or call JP to ask how you can help if you haven't already. A big thank you to those who have already done this.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 4:06pm
JP is the man!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
HINDS
Paddler
Paddler

Quote HINDS Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 4:51am
bump
Nick
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 9:27pm
Ch-yah Buddy! 
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:21am
Too bad we cant kayak around there anymore and they wont let us park there anymore either...Land owners there are not friendly.
Nomad
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:23am
You're right, they should definitely dam it.
ConradLilleness
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ConradLilleness Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:39am
It's a shame there's no real public access to the area. If there was, the support would be much greater.

irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:12pm
Actually if more Snohomish County ratepayers knew about how this was likely to turn out, support would likely be much greater. SnoPUD's exploratory costs have already gone from a projected $1 million to over $5 million, and they're not done with that phase yet. The nearby landslide that their geologist said 2 years ago was unlikely to progress has had frequent movement, including a slide that rearranged a cabin just two months ago. Their projected cost of $230 million (already up $20 million since December) is likely to be vastly underestimated by completion if this goes through. They have determined that their blasting is not likely to release dangerous chemicals from the already arsenic-high Sky water, but do you trust their studies?  The low water fish viability studies were conducted with 'particles that exhibit the same buoyancy and water dynamics as fish', not actual fish.  All this from the same company that told people their overall rates would stay the same when they switched to bi-monthly billing, but instead people ended up with $1,000 power bills and many people are saying that subsequent bills are not making up for the outrageous ones received previously. SnoPUD is now spending a huge amount of money on 'fixing' this problem, both in terms of possibly switching back to monthly meter reading and hiring a large team of new people to deal with their new customer service problems.  Ratepayers are of course the ones who will foot that unexpected bill.  That's how successful SnoPUD is at planning and implementing a switch from simply billing once a month to billing every other month. How competent do you think they are at planning a 50-year dam project? And besides all that, isn't it worth caring about keeping one of Washington's last free-flowing rivers wild, especially this one?

If people are trying to say we are only likely to care about things we can see or touch or that benefit us directly and not because things are right or wrong, or make financial sense or they don't, or are too environmentally damaging or they're not -  then a lot of us will have to stop blabbing about things we supposedly disagree with, like undersea drilling (after all, probably will not ever visit the ocean floor, barring some terrible kayaking accident) or drilling in the National Arctic Refuge (most people have no plans to go and no personal caribou friends).  JP is not griping about the Sunset Falls put-in, which by the way involves a ton of flat water and I doubt many people would actually use very much, he is busting his butt doing the hard stuff, community activism and getting people to actually comment.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 3:05pm
Yeah.
Look- Irene is right. I DO need help. I need a revolving door of about Six Paddlers WHO GIVE A sh*t, to tag team w/ each other in a way that adds up to Two Volunteers.

But guess what Professor Paddle?
Yall are droppin the ball on this key moment here.

To those of you (by now a significant handful) who have helped me distribute some postcards, I'm really grateful.
But I'm starting to be resentful to the rest of you for not lifting a fu*kin finger because it isn't like I didn't queue yall up for this in January. There's less than a month to register comments now.
So, yeah- plenty of time for YOU as an individual to comment. But that's not enough. I need All of You to help amplify our collective comments by helping me with public outreach. I have a lot of ideas, but they are completely WOTHLESS without some level of community support. I thought the paddling community was my community. So we got about 300 comments into FERC instead of 3,000. Thanks, yo.

The bottom line is, I don't got time to sink into PP if yall don't give a rat's ass about protecting the Sky. Matter of fact, maybe I need to vote for Trump and just help push the whole thing over the brink into hell.

I'll continue to post updates, but its very inconvienient- I pretty much need to go to the public library to gain access to PP. Every other website in the whole world works on this phone tho without a wifi connection.I really do not have time to work so hard at trying to simply recruit 2-6 boaters (by using PP).

You want to get involved? Show up tonight at Cascade Paddlesports and I'll clue you in. Or if you got my contact info hit me up. Otherwise I'll assume you simply can't be bothered to spare 5hrs out of your month to fight for Moma Skymomish. I need three paddlers to meet with me sometime within the next week. I have ideas. I need people to apply their own imagination and give me feedback on how to reach MORE PEOPLE. People care- but they don't even know this is going down, or countless people would rise to oppose it.

WAKE UP DRIFTWOOD WE ARE BURNING UP TIME
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 5:54pm
JP will you be up on the Sky at all this weekend? I'd be happy to get more postcards from you to pass out!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:49am
Cool thanks- I will be up there all weekend. Out of cell service which is frustrating right now but planning on paddling at the usual times.

-and I apologise for lashing out that way with that last post, but seriously:
The support from Professer Paddle has been DISMAL at best. Its disappointing and more than a little heartbreaking.

Thanks to Iron Monkey, Conrad, and Joeskayak, and Kirkrorrer for stepping to the plate, and others who have distributed cards.

I'm holding a little Pub Pow Wow next week. I was going to have it in Kirkland to accomodate the bulk of paddlers in the greater Seattle area. But due to the pathetic lack of feedback I've recieved here on PP I'm having it in Snohomish instead. I'll post the details here so as to include anyone who wants to attend, but at this point I really need someone who wants to be involved to meet me half way. Halfway now means Snohomish. Time is running out.

There is an April 12th meeting in snoPUD's Everett HQ on California st. FERC representatives will be there, so it is important that we pony up our best effort to pack the house and show FERC that there is strong opposition to this thing.

But is there? Gosh I hate being this way, sounding this way- I hate it. But ya know what? I sure don't get the sense there is strong opposition from PP or the paddling community. I need a WHOLE BUNCH of paddlers to prove me wrong on 4/12.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:57am
...because the postcards alone won't stop this beast. Again I encourage everyone to file an eComment on FERC's website. Even if you signed a card. The eComment is an opportunity to comment in greater detail about why you are against blasting a huge tunnel through the bedrock upstream of Sunset falls.

I can help you with this but more of you need to STEP UP. and either file one on your own or contact me I can help you with targeted talking points that are fact based and coherent.

Btw Joe- gonna get that stuff to you today yesterday was really off the hook busy
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 4:51pm
JP, I'm no longer living in WA, but is there anything that can be done from a distance? I've filed an ecomment but if there's anything more I can do let me know.

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:08pm
The goverment has already won, cus you local folks up there allowed the access to be shut down and if people cant get back there, they will not care. Need to start with the local land owners and get them off thier asses. Let people back there like in the old days... I was born here and getting sick of loosing access to everything! Asshole people think they own everything while people like me work thier asses off and pay taxes just to loose in the long run....sick off it!
Nomad
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:19am
How do I search for my ecomment on the FERC site? I got an email confirming my comment but I cant find the site where I can read all submitted comments.
Jon Shell Bee
rebshep
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote rebshep Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:48pm
Any idea what the docket number for the FERC comments is? I got all set up to comment but I need the docket number first.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by rebshep

Any idea what the docket number for the FERC comments is? I got all set up to comment but I need the docket number first.

Hi, thanks for commenting, it's P-14295.

Cheers,
Irene
rebshep
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote rebshep Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:31pm
Thanks! Just submitted my comment to FERC. I heard a really inspiring tale of grass roots conservation against govt and electricity while I was in New Zealand last month. Bring on 4/12!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:37pm
Cool- rebshep hope you can make it. See associated thread in a few minutes.

@ D4: YO dAVE- FYI obviously you got your axe to grind but currently property owners aren't keeping you out of there so much as The Active Landslide is. You couldn't drive up in there if they rolled out a red carpet for you
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 1:23pm
I haven't been able to make some of the meetings, I am curious if PUD has provided any documentation about the fish passage and the salmonoids (I think that's what they were referring to the baby fish as) yet? The meeting I went to mentioned that the PUD had only provided documentation about adult fish going over the proposed fish ladder/shoot when in fact the fish going over the proposed project would be much smaller and fragile than the adult fish they provided documentation on.
I'm mostly curious if the PUD is continuing to provide non-applicatable information to the project to try to make it sound more positive and less detrimental than it really is.

Thanks!

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 3:44pm
Officially submitted!

watertoad5
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote watertoad5 Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 9:48am
Just submitted. Thanks for your work on this
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 2:42pm
Thanks for filing! The post card drive has been relatively successful. Generally when people find out about this project and get some info, its a no brainer for them to oppose it.

Yes, Megan- tomorrow's meeting in Everett is about just that: their downstream fish passages studies claiming the fish are better off with less water on a long rocky cascade during snowmelt runnoff when those cascades should be pumping. Their models are somewhat crude in terms of how they adress the random variables associated with turbulence, areation, etc.

Tomorrow's meeting is at 9:00am at SnoPUD HQ on California st. Since FERC representatives will be there from Washington D.C. it would be great to have as many people show up as possible to sfow there is in fact widespread opposition to this. Please come on out! Great excuse to go paddling! Your jobs can wait a day...

The Skykomish can't.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 2:47pm
Bump.
I changed the thread title because I don't need your help- The Skykomish River does.

Tomorrow, Tuesday 4/12 at 9:00am-noon: SnoPUD HQin Everett
Show your support in Protection of the Skykomish from hydro development. FERC reps will be there, so your attendence could make an impact. Spread the word via facebook. If you can't make it, tell someone so that they might be able to.

Because The River Can't Speak For itself!

Edited by jP - 11 Apr 2016 at 2:47pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version